The Cherry/Burke Battle

from Cathal Kelly of the Toronto Star,

Despite hating each other, Cherry and Burke have had this much in common — there is only one gear in their engine, the one that goes forward.

For the first time, Burke has started backing up.

It’s unclear how two men of such similar outlook on the game came to dislike each other so much. Burke is the sort who needs to dominate every conversation he’s in. He needs his intelligence acknowledged.

Cherry is the sort who just talks until everyone else gives up. He doesn’t care if you’re agreeing, as long as you’re listening. Maybe that’s it.

Cherry picks his fights lightly, and has traditionally let go of them easily. Everyone is just a little bit below his notice, so he can’t be bothered to accrue a long enemies’ list.

Burke has somehow managed to work his way onto that short document.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brian+burke, don+cherry

Comments

hockeychic's avatar

Cherry looked like a rabid dog last night. Just a bizarre rant. I expected him to start foaming at the mouth.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 03/04/12 at 07:56 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

“Burke goes to my bosses and says that I’m a bad guy because I said something — ‘vicious’ I think the words were — about his coach. Two weeks later, he fires him. Figure that one out, folks,” Cherry said, apropos of nothing, at the start of the show.

Cherry was right. Burke went behind his back to try to get him fired. Didn’t work out too well for Burke. He is a snake.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/04/12 at 08:54 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

haha I always have loved Cherry, he may be disconnected with the world at times, slightly racist, and always controversial, but he will always have a place in my heart.  hahaha
Hes like the semi retarded uncle you have that occasionally does drugs.

IT was pretty awesome to seem go on his rant like that against Burke, I wonder how burke will respond

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 03/04/12 at 10:03 PM ET

It’s not really a battle because the only way Burke can win it is to win a Cup… and that ain’t happening any time soon.  As a commentator Cherry doesn’t have any real performance standards he has to live up to (obviously).

So, like I said the day Burke started lashing out, Burke is wasting energy fighting battles that don’t matter.  If the Leafs were successful Cherry wouldn’t be whining.  Rather than wasting time time trying to muzzle a yip dog he should be out there trying not to destroy a third franchise.

That way at least he doesn’t look small and incompetent.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/05/12 at 12:18 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Special Needs Fight!!!

Posted by Primis on 03/05/12 at 03:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Hes like the semi retarded uncle you have that occasionally does drugs.

Except my semi-retarded drug-addict uncle doesn’t have his own biopic and weekly segment on a nationally-televised program.

This. A lot.