The Big House Will Host The 2013 Winter Classic

from Paige Percy and Matt Slovin of The Michigan Daily,

The NHL will pay the University $3 million to rent the Big House and will require use of the stadium from Dec. 1, 2012 to mid-January, according to a communication to the regents from Athletic Director Dave Brandon and Timothy Slottow, the University’s executive vice president and chief financial officer. The Winter Classic game will take place on Jan. 1, 2013 and has an alternate date of Jan. 2, 2013.

During the meeting, Brandon said the NHL is expected to donate a “significant” amount to student scholarships at the University from its charitable foundation….

Brandon said he expects the event to draw in excess of $14 million in economic activity to Ann Arbor.Newman added that the economic boost is one of the key reasons the regents approved the lease.

“One of the factors that we discussed when considering this was the economic value to the city of Ann Arbor and the surrounding community and the goodness this would do for restaurants and hotels and shops and other activity in the area,” Newman said. “I think that at a time of year where it’s otherwise quiet, doing something like this makes a lot of sense.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: winter+classic+2013

Comments

This thing’s gonna be so friggin’ outer space awesome.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/08/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Holy hell, I’m already wait too excited for it.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/08/12 at 03:00 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I wish I could get hold on a ticket..But I don’t think that will happen..!!??

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 02/08/12 at 03:37 PM ET

I wish I could get hold on a ticket..But I don’t think that will happen..!!??

Posted by Gary Bettman SUCK from Florida on 02/08/12 at 01:37 PM ET

Bettman really sucks for doing this to Detroit!

Posted by timbits on 02/09/12 at 12:11 AM ET

What?  Bettman doing great job.  This is going to be huge.

Posted by 13 user names on 02/09/12 at 01:34 AM ET