The Battle On Long Island

The last time Pittsburgh and the Islanders met, we witnessed DiPietro against Johnson.

Well, tonight was a carry-over.  At the time of this post, the Islanders are up 8-3 with about 7 minutes left in the 3rd period.

Some of the action and another video below along with the penalties

up to this point

16:04 NY Islanders Zenon Konopka: 5 minutes, fighting
16:12 Pittsburgh Brett Sterling: 10 minutes, misconduct
16:12 NY Islanders Jack Hillen: 10 minutes, misconduct
17:43 NY Islanders Andrew Macdonald: 5 minutes, fighting
17:43 Pittsburgh Joe Vitale: 5 minutes, fighting
17:58 Pittsburgh Ryan Craig: 2 minutes, cross checking

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Pens getting dealt on the score sheet.  That is all that matters…

Guess when you get shown up by the worst team on in the League you look like ____!

Bummers

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 01:00 AM ET

Crow's avatar

Maxime “The Turtle” Talbot….GoT to love that! cool grin

Posted by Crow on 02/12/11 at 01:18 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Yeah With half the WB’S Pens Loser But what do you expect from a Guy who hasn’t had his team win ANYTHING in DECADES. The Isles who have an owner that fired a Respected GM Neil Smith & Hired their Backup Goalie to be GM,Garth Snow & then has Gotten top 5 pick after top 5 pick & are still Pathetic & fire a Good NHL coach & hire a AHL Nobody Hack

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:19 AM ET

Two (TWO!!!!) skaters and one goalie hopped over the bench at the end of the game to go greet the Islander goaltender after the win.  Pittsburgh had only one skater (and I guess Fleury was back in the dressing room).  Comedy gold.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 02/12/11 at 01:19 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

[Maxime “The Turtle” Talbot….GoT to love that! Yeah I loved him in Game 7 Defecating on the Wings on their Ice TOO grin  grin

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:20 AM ET

Fixing the page for the rest of you…

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 02/12/11 at 01:24 AM ET

Crow's avatar

Yeah I loved him in Game 7 Defecating on the Wings on their Ice TOO grin grin

No wonder the Pens always smells like feces! cheese  cheese

Posted by Crow on 02/12/11 at 01:27 AM ET

Paul's avatar

OK, both sides traded shots, so let’s keep it on topic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/11 at 01:28 AM ET

Randy from Butler PA's avatar

Talbot got jumped from behind like that criminal on the wings Bertuzzi did to Moore

Posted by Randy from Butler PA on 02/12/11 at 01:29 AM ET

Just call a spade a spade!  The Pens, while without many of their skilled players and enforcers (one thanks to being a real SOB), weren’t in the game.  Just say you got your tuchus throttled by a unit so large an elephant could feel it and walk away.

The hit on Comeau was the real reason for all of this.  I would contend that justice was a dessert served ice cold… Ice cold with a unit so large an elephant could feel it… Wick Wick Wack.

At the end of the day, it is one game.  Get over it.  Move on.  The Pens are fine.

But it was nice to see them get tossed around like that…  Kharma.  Great to see the Isles have some moxie.  They may be the doormat of the league, but they have something to build upon.  Go Isles, Go.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 01:30 AM ET

Don’t let them see your bottom lip tremble Evilpens, that’s when they know they got you.

Anyway, expect to see Gillies and Godard sit for a while.  Can’t run at a guy’s like that.

Posted by Django on 02/12/11 at 01:31 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Crow   Wow it only took you 7 minutes to think of that Witty repartee oh oh

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:32 AM ET

*ahem* a guy’s head like that

Posted by Django on 02/12/11 at 01:32 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

A minor league hockey team?  Because that’s what they’re fielding right about now.  1/2 of their forwards started out in WB/S this year…5 of those guys started for the Baby Pens a week ago.

And…what were you saying when the Devils were beating the Caps 5-0?  Nothing?  Okay, then.

I’m wondering what everyone has to say about Tavares’ two-handed slash on Letang at the end of the first.  Intent to injure, right?  That’s ten times worse than what Staal got kicked out of the Rangers game for.  I’m just glad he came back later…

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 01:33 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Great to see the Isles have some moxie.  They may be the doormat of the league, but they have something to build upon.  Go Isles, Go.   Yep they have an Owner who is CLUELESS! Fires a Respected GM not a Moth into the season & hires his Backup Goalie who Fudges Up top 5 after top 5 Pick & are STILL Pathetic !! No one wants to play there. Yep they have something to build On !! Might want to learn Hockey before you Pontificate on it !

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:36 AM ET

blammo's avatar

Love it. Bring back the ‘70’s. When the game is out of reach, you send a message!

I’m starting to like these plucky Islanders.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 02/12/11 at 01:36 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Added the Tavares slash to the videos in the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/11 at 01:36 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

[Flashtastick56 hahaha he thinks that they Isles have something to Build On !! Yep More Quicksand !

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:38 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Maxime “The Turtle” Talbot….GoT to love that!

So you want him to take a sucker-punch? That was a pathetic play by Martin. That has no place in any sport.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 01:43 AM ET

Fixing the page again since certain people can’t seem to close their bold tags.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 02/12/11 at 01:46 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

The kicker is…he only got two minutes!  Two f*cking minutes for that?!  That was viscous.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 01:46 AM ET

blammo's avatar

Grabner, Moulson, Tavares, Okposo. Yea, they need a new owner but I would take their roster over the Leaf’s any day. GMs and coaches love to see this from a young team. Shows they are tired of losing and willing to stick up for each other.

With tons of cap space and a likely lottery pick the Isles *should* be 1-2 years from making a run.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 02/12/11 at 01:47 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Gilles is a piece of shit, too.  Hits Tangradi high, then punches him in the head while he’s on the ice hurt…Christ.

Godard should’ve let Beej handle Haley himself.  Would’ve beat that ass.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 01:50 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks Greg, I manually fixed the first one while you were posting the fix. you got the 2nd one before I could get to it.

EP, for some reason you keep missing the left bracked on the bold tag, just so you are aware.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/11 at 01:51 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Grabner, Moulson, Tavares, Okposo. Grabner who was Traded by The Canucks to Fla. Who put him on Waivers & Isles by being the Most Suckass team got first dibbs on him, Moulson Who the Pens choose Not to sign & then Kings elected to not re sign him & the Isles took Him, Okposo MEH ! Tavares he will get sick of Losing & ask to be traded or Bolt when he is capable. They have more of a future the than the Naple Laffs ?? wow Damning them with faint Praise huh? LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:51 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I know Paul, I always forget to check before Posting Sorry !

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:52 AM ET

Evilpens…

This is what I love about you.  You take the bait so easily.  I never said anything against you, but you are so weak-minded that you need to speak up and take a non confronrtational comment as such.  You can’t get beyond your own flame for your team to realize that I was only being positive about a franchise that is in some trouble.  You see the loss, the embarassment, and can’t deal.

When have you ignited discussion?  The general nature of your posts are to condemn the ideas of others.  You have no original thought.  You are weak.  You hide behind criticisms and don’t wage an opportunity to put yourself out there.

I appreciate fandom.  But the issue with a majority of the Pens fans (Mog - you are bright) on this site is the insecurity, the inability to keep it clean.  You remind me of my college girlfriend - always the victim.  To her and to you, I will say, “I wish you good luck.  I hope it works out for you.”

Game, set, match…
Goodnight.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 01:53 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Not a problem, Greg is cleaning up for you!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/11 at 01:53 AM ET

It will be interesting to see how many Gillies gets for that.  That was pretty bad.

Posted by Django on 02/12/11 at 01:55 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Unicorn Force hahha You Had a GF ?? Was she Rubber !!! & when you bit her on the neck did she fart & fly out the window ? LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 01:57 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Now that made me chuckle.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 02:00 AM ET

Hey big boy in your Flash Gordon under-roos, I’m no Caps fan…

Just so you know…  As I have indicated…
Smart up befoh you react, playa.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 02:01 AM ET

Evilpens…

Amazing how you prove my point with each posting.  Yet again, nothing intelligent about the posting; merely attacks inspired by insecurity and weak mindness…

Again, Game.  Set.  Match.
You look foolish.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 02:06 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I’m not a local) on 02/11/11 at 11:01 PM ET

1.  Not Flash Gordon.  Plain, old, fastest man in the world, Flash.

2.  Excuse me for mistaking you for a Caps fan - I just figured since you’re so obsessed with the Penguins you must be.

3.  I’m nowhere close to being a “playa”.  I’m not even sure what that means.

4.  I thought you said “Goodnight”.

5.  I typed “5” before I realized I had nothing else to say.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 02:08 AM ET

Flash, non-Gordon:

I’m so unremarkably sorry.  All apologies.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 02:11 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wouldn’t say it’s ten times worse than what Staal did, but I will say that in my mind, it’s worth at least a game.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/12/11 at 02:17 AM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

-Flashtastick56

That’s bad, but Letang’s boarding/hit from behind that provoked it was equally dangerous.  There’s a lot of boarderline “hockey” from both teams in those videos.  Any real penalty is 10 times worse than what got Stall got ejected for, that was a pathetic call.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 02/12/11 at 02:18 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Flashtastick56 Think further up the I-95 & Farther down on the Fan food chain LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 02/12/11 at 02:18 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wings beat Boston 6-1, that’s a very good night.

Pens get their a$$es kicked by the lowly Islanders, that’s a great night.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/12/11 at 02:21 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

This game was an embarrassment for the sport. The Islanders planned this all because of a clean hit by Talbot on Comeau and Johnson’s one-punch knockdown of Dipietro, who started the whole mess at the end of the last game. Then they call up a loser from Bridgeport in Haley, who has 150+ PIMS in the AHL. Gillies taunting Tangradi from the runway while he lay on all fours on the ice with what is being diagnosed as a concussion. Mike Martin pulling a Bertuzzi on Talbot. Just a pathetic disgrace by the Islanders.

Also, I’m not saying the Penguins are completely innocent. Godard left the bench. That’s not right. But the Islanders were up 6-0. They got revenge on the scoreboard. All this fighting was a disgrace to the sport.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 02:23 AM ET