The Wrong Choice By The Hockey Hall Of Fame

from Damien Cox of the Toronto Star,

At a time when diversity matters, and when the #MeToo movement is bringing more attention to the treatment of women, specifically women in the workplace, the hall of fame was handed a golden opportunity this week to demonstrate it has its ear to the ground and understands the changing culture around it....

Scotty Bowman, one of the greatest coaches in NHL history, ended his 15-year tenure on the hall’s 19-member selection committee on Dec. 31. This was a tremendous chance for the hall, led by chairman Lanny McDonald, to change the mix of the committee, to add a new and different kind of voice.

A woman. A person of colour. Someone to reflect the changing demographics of this great sport, to broaden the hall’s appeal and send a strong message that the game welcomes everyone, and includes everyone at the highest levels....

So what did the hall do with its opportunity to make a powerful statement on diversity with the opening made available by Bowman’s departure? It announced on Tuesday that high-profile broadcaster Pierre McGuire, 56, would take the legendary coach’s place on the selection committee.

Another older, white male.

Let’s be clear. This is not McGuire’s fault.

Filed in: Hockey Related Stories, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

What a garbage article. Not really much to say about his qualifications or vast knowledge,  just opposition to his race, gender and age. Hmmmm that sounds vaguely like… discr….. nah.  It’s just social justice.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 09:56 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

At a time when diversity matters,

I understand what he’s trying to say with that sentence, but it comes off awfully flippant. As if people of other races, genders, or creeds never mattered before. Maybe I’m making a bigger deal out of that than it deserves, but it immediately stuck out to me and I expect a high profile journalist to have a better handle on language and nuance.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 03/10/18 at 01:02 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 08:56 AM ET

Absolutely true – and elegantly delivered. Nice job, Slim.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/10/18 at 01:12 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Gosh, the NHL is tone deaf. I’m shocked. Shocked, I tell ya.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 01:53 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

rolleyes

is nothing immune to political bullbleep?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/10/18 at 01:55 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Diversity for diversity’s sake is just discrimination against those worthy and eligible of the job but unfortunate enough to not be in a minority ethnic group.

I never thought I’d say this…but poor Pierre.  Maybe he can just claim to be 1/64th Native American and we can move on to talking about other things….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/10/18 at 02:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I understand how this political talk can crop up in this post, but please do not turn it into a full blown one.

Would much rather keep it on topic, thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/10/18 at 02:15 PM ET

Yeah, white men have been oppressed for FAR too long in this country. How brave of you to take that up that fight. What clear perspective. No sense of entitlement from you. Pierre’s “vast knowledge”?!...time to evolve, slim.

is nothing immune to political bullbleep?

Nope. It’s not the50’s anymore, pops. People give a s*it about not having a seat at the table and are fighting for it. It’s not so much political though as it is attempting a shred of empathy and being a remotely decent human being.

Posted by godblender on 03/10/18 at 02:25 PM ET

Crank your evolution down a notch and note I was only commenting on the article. Not the decision. If you want to fill the spot with 74 transgender, mixed raced, teenagers go right ahead. I would just like to see the argument be based on qualifications that aren’t race, age, and sexual identity. What a bigoted idea, I know.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 02:34 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by godblender on 03/10/18 at 01:25 PM ET

Well said, gb.

Also, the ignore feature is awesome.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 02:57 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I really appreciate when qualified people get the job, and we don’t have to worry about their orientation or color or anything because… They were qualified. That’s all that should matter when talking about jobs and positions.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/10/18 at 03:29 PM ET

I really don’t care who they pick as long at the person is qualified. Qualifications should be the most important things. If the best person for the role is a black lesbian then great, if the best person is a white man then great.

Merits, not identity politics are what should decide things. Merit, not political optics.

You don’t need diversity of color to have diversity of thought as proven by the comments section. To pretend all white men have a lock step opinion or thought process is just annoying.

Posted by RussianRocket10 on 03/10/18 at 03:41 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well said, gb.

Also, the ignore feature is awesome.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 01:57 PM ET

If you’re going to Ignore people, Steve, just because they have political or social beliefs that are different than yours then I’m not so sure you’re as “all inclusive” of others as you think you are. That’s the very thing that’s making serious discourse almost impossible in this country these days.

Posted by RussianRocket10 on 03/10/18 at 02:41 PM ET

+19

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/10/18 at 03:48 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by RussianRocket10 on 03/10/18 at 02:41 PM ET

I felt this deep in my soul.

Posted by ilovehomers on 03/10/18 at 03:50 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

I ignored him because his attacks got personal and had nothing to do with the subject at hand. I hope that’s okay with you, I realize I should have checked first.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 03:50 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 03/10/18 at 02:29 PM ET
Posted by RussianRocket10 on 03/10/18 at 02:41 PM ET

110%

Posted by godblender on 03/10/18 at 01:25 PM ET

Weird, last time I saw Damien Cox, he was a old white man. Maybe a touch more virtue signaling than fighting.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 03/10/18 at 04:01 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I wonder if Damien would like the Toronto star (or whatever company employs him) to clean house a bit. Maybe let him and a few others go in an effort to bring more diverse appearing staff in. If he wants diversity, he shouldn’t get in the way.

In all seriousness I have to deal with this on a daily basis where very unqualified people were hired for diversity reasons. They can’t perform the work and either leave after a year or they hang around for 30 years underperforming.

I just want qualified people

Posted by TreKronor on 03/10/18 at 04:25 PM ET

I want the selection committee to be comprised of individuals similar to those actually being selected into the HHOF. I’ll leave it to the reader to figure the rest out…

Posted by FelixTheCat on 03/10/18 at 07:05 PM ET

I can assure you that diversity panels are not scrambling to include white males, so I’m not sure why NHL Hockey committees should act any differently.

Posted by FelixTheCat on 03/10/18 at 07:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 02:50 PM ET

I honestly don’t see anyone here who got “personal” except godblender who told people they need to “evolve” and then called another member “pops” before inferring that he wasn’t “remotely a decent human being.”

If I missed something, can you point me to what offended you?

I hope that’s okay with you, I realize I should have checked first.

Well, see, now you’re just trying to bait me into calling you “childish” or something similar. But I’d never do that because I actually respect your hockey knowledge. So I’m just going to assume that you typed that by mistake. Right, Steve?  smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/10/18 at 07:22 PM ET

You mean like literally every person that Cox suggests in this article? All of whom are former players. THOSE types of individuals?

Except that the committee is comprised of entirely white males which is kinda the point of the article. Give it a read sometime.

That’s a slippery way of interpreting what I said but it’s not completely unfair, either.

Posted by godblender on 03/10/18 at 07:40 PM ET

OTC
To be fair I’m pretty sure he is referring to a previous thread where things got a little ugly. I’m pretty sure I wasn’t the only one in the mud that day though. Guess I triggered him a little to hard.  wink

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 07:43 PM ET

To start this is my first post here. I can understand much of the sentiment as I think it was a poorly explained take. That being said, I think the true intent of his article (in my view) would be to have a diverse panel that can provide input on a wide variety of leagues and have more well rounded hockey experts than just the NHL.  I dont dispute that Pierre is qualified, but I would suggest (for example) that by having another woman on the panel, the panel as a whole would be able to identify players and suggest deserving female player inclusion on the “Hockey Hall of Fame”, rather than it just essentially being the “NHL Hall of Fame”.  I would posit that Scotty Bowman was a very smart guy in the NHL, but I wouldnt think he was as up to speed on the women’s game.  With the growing of the game everyone should know the best and brightest hockey players and minds, rather than just a small subset.  My two cents at least.

Posted by T-squared on 03/10/18 at 07:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for taking the time tor register T-s… and for the comment too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/10/18 at 08:00 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/10/18 at 06:22 PM ET

This was a while ago. I’ve had him on ignore for maybe six+ months.

Yes, total mistake on my part.  grin

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 09:08 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

OTC

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 06:43 PM ET

Okay, Slim, I guess I missed that exchange. But the problem these days is that it takes very little to “trigger” those with a liberal view of the world, just as it took very little to trigger those with a more conservative view of the world after Obama was elected.

The bottom line is I just hate to see people getting into “pissing matches” on a hockey forum because they disagree on political or social issues.

Posted by godblender on 03/10/18 at 06:40 PM ET

That was exceptionally well worded, gb, and I have to applaud you for both your cleverness and your honesty.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/10/18 at 09:16 PM ET

Steve in San Francisco's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/10/18 at 08:16 PM ET

See, this is exactly the kind of BS I’m talking about and am fuching sick of. That and Slim’s crap right-wing troll 101 buzzwords. I’m sure he’ll bring up “safe spaces” next, if he hasn’t already.

Anyway, I’m out.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 09:23 PM ET

Hahahaha! Gets triggered by talking about being triggered.This is golden!

OTC he could not have proven your point better if he tried. He always used to get sooooo mad.  I miss him responding to me.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 10:35 PM ET

I NOW consider this the most discriminatory article I’ve read lately.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 10:54 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I just want qualified people

How true. You are preaching to the choir. I went through the same during my working years, but am happily retired now. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 03/10/18 at 10:57 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Anyway, I’m out.

Posted by Steve in San Francisco on 03/10/18 at 08:23 PM ET

I’m sorry that my post offended you, Steve. Maybe you missed the part where I called out those who were so easily “triggered” after Obama won.

My point was that the over-the-top nature of anything political these days turns people against one another when they actually agree on other issues. As I said before, I respect your hockey knowledge and I’d never want to “Ignore” you because of your poltical/social beliefs.

Posted by SlimChance on 03/10/18 at 09:35 PM ET

Unfortunately, Slim, it’s difficult these days to engage in any form of true “dialogue” between those who identify with one side of the center or the other when it comes to political or “social” issues. As a 71 year-old who’s been a centrist his whole life, I can tell you it’s like a wasteland out here these days.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/11/18 at 01:11 AM ET