The Toronto Maple Leafs Have Interest In Taylor Hall

from TSN,

After another disappointing postseason exit, could the Toronto Maple Leafs be looking to make a big splash in free agency later this month?

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said Wednesday that while the Boston Bruins would like to re-sign Taylor Hall before he hits the open market on July 28, the Maple Leafs are among the team with interest in the 29-year-old winger.

"(Bruins general manager Don Sweeney has) engaged in discussions about an extension for Taylor Hall with his agent Darren Ferris," Dreger said. "This shouldn’t come as breaking news, there was interest from the Boston standpoint prior to making the trade with the Buffalo Sabres.

"But there’s outside interest as well, including from the Toronto Maple Leafs, which may surprise some. Toronto has interest, I’m sure, if they can’t get Zach Hyman signed, or depending on what happens with Freddy Andersen.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

How does this make any sense?  Oooo, shiny toy, we have to have it!!  Maybe add a reliable d-man and a good goalie instead.

Posted by dwgs on 07/08/21 at 11:03 AM ET

They have to make a decision on Rielly sooner than later, too.

Hall can be impactful with the right center - as he showed in Boston.
But is another expensive and in this case inconsistent and somewhat injury prone forward even close to the right priority? Hyman was scoring goals (and yes he’s had some injury issues, too). But his main impact is character and effort and doing the more difficult, less glamorous things his line mates can’t or won’t.
Is Hall an upgrade in that role - or at all?

Posted by lefty.30 on 07/08/21 at 01:03 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Toronto has $56M tied up in four forwards ($40.5M) and three defensemen ($15.6M). That leaves them about $25.5M for 10 forwards, four defensemen and two goalies. Where in the heck would they come up with $6-8M for Hall?

And, amazingly, Boston has a lot of cap room if they want to keep Hall. So, the Leafs aren’t going to outbid them for his services.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/08/21 at 01:59 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Hall is not Old Enough for Laffs Roster

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/08/21 at 02:05 PM ET

From the movie, ‘What about Bob?’

“I want, I want, I want, I need, I need, I need, gimme, gimme, gimme”

Leafs.

Posted by exor54 on 07/08/21 at 08:29 PM ET

This speculation of Toronto and Hall just feels like click-bait to me. I don’t really see a way Toronto can fit him unless they are will to let Hyman walk, settle for Campbell and cheap option for their goalie tandem AND let Reilly walk next summer.

I guess they could trade Nylander to make room for Hall but how stupid would that be when he was one of the few players who actually showed up in the playoffs.

The Leafs will have enough of problem filling out their roster with the limited cap space available. Part of me wants the Leafs to get Hall simply because I think it’ll put them farther from a Cup rather than closer to it.

I’d put my money on Boston retaining Hall. They both appear to like the idea and Boston typically finds a way to get players to take less than market value to sign with the Bruins (that’s why they have so much cap space). But, like the Leafs they can’t make a move that would prevent them from re-signing McAvoy next summer.

Posted by evileye on 07/09/21 at 08:40 AM ET