The Tampa Bay Lightning Advance To The Stanley Cup Final

By defeating the New York Rangers  2-0 tonight, the Lightning have advanced to the Stanley Cup Final.

They'll face the winner of the Anaheim Ducks/Chicago Blackhawks game which will be played tomorrow night.

Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final will be on Wednesday.

added 11:19pm, Watch the on-ice celebration and game highlights...

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Ah well. The Rags were the last team I didn’t feel disgusted rooting for. Between tampa, the birds and the hawks….I hope they all lose.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/29/15 at 10:51 PM ET

Chet's avatar

gotta think they want Chicago. i picked them last summer, we’ll see.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/29/15 at 10:56 PM ET

and we’re forced to endure another team playing a boring defensive system, clogging up the middle, always keeping a high center to ensure no odd man rushes, keeping shots to the outside, waiting for one opportunity to score, and then sitting on a lead. looks like New Jersey 20 years ago. and sure to inspire many clones. the problem is, it works, but, as a spectator, it’s infuriating. guess that’s why my interest in watching hockey has dwindled over the past several years. gotta find a solution to this type of hockey. go wings!!

Posted by tbuhg on 05/29/15 at 11:11 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

If he Ducks win it’ll probably be the lowest watched Stanley Cup Finals watched and part of me likes that because I think the board of governors need a wake up call but the hockey fan in me wants this all to go away

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/29/15 at 11:33 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If he Ducks win it’ll probably be the lowest watched Stanley Cup Finals…

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley

Yup, I agree. I wish I could root for the Bolts because of Stevie Y, but there’s nothing about that team I like. Not the players. Not the style of play. And not the Pillsbury Doughboy in goal.

The only reason I would hope they win is because I absolute detest the Ducks and their gaggle of goons and cheap-shot artists.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/29/15 at 11:45 PM ET

How come they decided to show a replay of Game 5 instead of the live feed?

I put this one on coaching… the Rangers already saw this defence and didn’t adjust. Too much reliance on the point shot, not enough killer instinct on offence, no speed in the neutral zone, no transition game whatsoever. Tampa swallowed them up with another brilliant road game.

Posted by happyrock on 05/29/15 at 11:51 PM ET

Welp, Tampa got through Detroit, Montreal and NY - if they meet and get by Chicago it would be quite the run through original 6 teams. I was rooting for NY but nobody left to get behind now - although I do hope the Hawks wipe their *sses with the Ducks. All in all it’s not been very exciting hockey to watch - this was about the stage I stopped watching in the 90’s. Started watching again after the 2nd lockout because it was great offensive hockey but now it’s generally a tedious grind.

Posted by Moose Moss on 05/30/15 at 12:44 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

A game seven in the conference finals, and it was about as exciting to watch as an obscure soccer match.

My desire to watch more NHL hockey this year is dwindling by the day.

What god-awful, boring hockey.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 05/30/15 at 07:25 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

So why all the hate for Tampa? Sure they eliminated the Wings, but they don’t really have any players I detest, or management staff I detest. I would kill to have any of Stamkos, their entire second line and any of their top 4 D. I don’t really have any I’ll feelings toward TB.

Now in the West, I hope both teams somehow lose. There’s two teams I can never pull for, ever. So much asshattery and douchiness in one place. Please TB don’t let either of those DB teams defile the Stanley Cup more than they already have.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 05/30/15 at 07:49 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

So why all the hate for Tampa?

Because they play a trap game that makes the game boring.

Every once in a while they let the horses run free, and it’s exciting to watch.

But, boring defense wins Cups, so that will be on full display starting next Wednesday.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 05/30/15 at 08:15 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/30/15 at 08:15 AM ET

Until some one develops a system to beat the trap this is the type of hockey you can expect.  Especially in the playoffs.  Or until they make the ice surface larger or take a player off the ice (4 on 4) there will be no room to skate against the trap.  People losing interest is the only thing that will force a change with the powers that be.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 05/30/15 at 02:57 PM ET

That’s the second Game Seven the Bolts have won with a shutout.

My bets are on the Bolts in Game Sevens this year.

Posted by SYF from Jackie Redmond's blue eyes on 05/30/15 at 04:01 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I feel the same way. No matter who won between Tampa bay and New York, I would root for them to win the Cup. I hate both the Ducks and Slackhawks, but hate the Slackhawks and their obnoxious fans more, so go Ducks tonight. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 05/30/15 at 06:50 PM ET