The Season For The San Jose Sharks Ends With A Loss, Again

from Curtis Pashelka of the Mercury News,

Joe Thornton exited the handshake line with the St. Louis Blues before he made his way toward the bench. He handed his stick to a security guard right after he got off the ice and disappeared underneath the stands after a game for perhaps the final time in his Hall of Fame-worthy career.

There were many questions for the Sharks to comprehend after their 5-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues in Game 6 of the Western Conference Final on Tuesday night. How did the series turn so abruptly after their win in Game 3? Where would this team be if everyone had stayed relatively healthy? Why did the offense dry up for the final three games?

Invariably, though, questions turned to what the Sharks will look like next fall, and whether players like Erik Karlsson, Joe Pavelski and Thornton will be back with the team for another run at the franchise’s first Stanley Cup.

As one might expect, though, the pain was too fresh and the end had come too soon for anyone to fully be able to digest what the future holds.

Especially Thornton.

“No, nope,” Thornton said about if he’s given thought to his long-term future in the NHL and with the Sharks.

A season that began with Stanley Cup aspirations after a blockbuster trade to acquire Karlsson in September ended like all the ones before it — in disappointment.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I know the press has a job to do but I find it incredibly annoying when they ask a player like Thorton, with a huge decision to make, minutes after defeat, about possible retirement.

I’ve seen a few victors announce retirement in such fashion but I don’t ever remember a loser saying “Yep. That was the end for me. I want to go out a loser”.

Give the guy a little space.

Posted by evileye on 05/22/19 at 11:46 AM ET

I’m a little surprised there is uncertainty around Pavelski. Couture and Hertl are skilled clutch scoring forwards but Pavelski is the captain for a reason.

Too many injuries.

Look at Boston and St. Louis - both deep and healthy.

Those are only two ingredients of course and you can only control one of them.
San Jose’s roster last night wasn’t close to St. Louis’ in quality.

I’m not a fan, but it’s good to see an old hockey city finally get back to the finals.

Posted by lefty.30 on 05/22/19 at 12:21 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I have never cared for Joe slashing Thornton, he just a big choking chump, I’m glad his name never got permanently etched on the cup.

I actually enjoyed watching another dream year slip away from him, old Lucy dangling the football ever so close to watch him lose again, watch him struggle to keep up, and stand up for that matter, and see the realization of failure come over his face again.  He was old slow and a non-factor except his choking’ness rubbing off on his teammates.

Perfect time to ask him whether he’s done, should’ve done it between the 2nd and 3rd, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/22/19 at 12:36 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Hate the Sharks.  Used to hate the Blues because they played on the edge and were always a tough opponent, but this Blues team isn’t dirty like years past (I think they haven’t really played that way since Hitch left, but who knows).

Much rather see the Blues win than Boston.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/22/19 at 02:13 PM ET

I don’t much care for the Blues or the Sharks but I absolutely hate Boston so I’m all for the Blues coming out on top.

Posted by evileye on 05/22/19 at 04:20 PM ET

Mr. Fnytelhatt's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 05/22/19 at 12:36 PM ET

This is like, poetry, man.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 05/23/19 at 04:43 AM ET