The San Jose Sharks Blow A Three Game Series Lead

from David Pollak of Working The Corners,

It was an epic failure. And nobody in the Sharks locker room treated it as anything but after a 5-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings that put the Sharks on an inverted pedestal as one of only four teams to win the first three games of a seven-game series and still not advance.

Dissecting how they lost the game isn’t really important, but it was the same problem they had in the three shots at clinching before this one. Their top players once again were not on the scoresheet as San Jose only mustered two goals in the final three losses. Their power play wasted six opportunities; their penalty kill gave up a goal.

What’s most important is what comes next and at this point, who knows?

So we’ll have to settle for a look at how the Sharks reacted to ending up on, as Brad Stuart and others have put it, the wrong side of history.

continued and watch the handshake line below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Jumbo Choke and company making history. Last time they were in this situation they needed some help from the zebras to seal the deal… not so this kick at the can.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/01/14 at 08:32 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Todd McLellan is good as gone.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/01/14 at 08:48 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

luv it. good bye minnows, hated you for a lonnnnng time

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/01/14 at 08:58 AM ET

JBytes's avatar

I love how Jumbo Shrimp always disappears when it counts the most.

Posted by JBytes on 05/01/14 at 09:28 AM ET

pautna's avatar

Woot!! I’m equal parts stoked that my team won and that Joe ‘angry inch’ Thornton lost and is now part of chokesville history! GKG!

Posted by pautna on 05/01/14 at 09:34 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

good times
don’t like the sloppiness of those first two games but this was a sweet beatdown

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 05/01/14 at 10:49 AM ET

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/01/14 at 09:32 AM ET

Sharks were 0-for-6 on their PP opportunities last night.  Refs gave the Shark every conceivable chance to get ahead including one of the softest slashing calls I’ve even seen in any game at any level.  Awful.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/01/14 at 10:56 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by SYF from Zata’s Epic Viking Beard on 05/01/14 at 11:56 AM ET

Ah, that’s what I get for not watching. Still makes my heart happy to see them flail.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/01/14 at 11:10 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by SYF from Zata’s Epic Viking Beard on 05/01/14 at 11:56 AM ET

Officials called it bad both ways. I thought the elbowing call that led to a Kings PP goal was awful. The Shark player did have his elbow up, but no one was around behind him. The King player came over and skated into the elbow and fell down like he had been shot. When i saw the arm shoot up, I though for sure it was a diving call.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/01/14 at 11:15 AM ET

blammo's avatar

Doughty is a beast. This era’s Orr. I’m hoping for a Kings/Hawks match-up and pretty sure I’ll get it.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 05/01/14 at 11:43 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The Sharks will never win with Thornton, Marlea, and Boyle.  That people continue to think otherwise is just sad and inexplicable.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/14 at 12:07 PM ET