The Problems With P.K. Subban And The Montreal Canadiens

from Stu Cowan of the Montreal Gazette,

Subban’s trade to the Nashville Predators for Shea Weber proved one thing: don’t believe anything Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin says. Bergevin’s nose probably grew a bit when he told reporters at the NHL Entry Draft he wasn’t shopping Subban and simply had to answer the phone when other GMs called. When asked if it was realistic that a trade could happen, the GM said: “I would say no.”

TSN’s Bob McKenzie — the best at what he does — called the GM out when he told Vancouver’s TSN Radio 1040: “The Canadiens obviously don’t want it out there: ‘We’re trying to dump P.K. Subban.’ And in fairness to them they’re not trying to dump P.K. Subban. But I mean they’re not playing tiddlywinks on these calls, either. These are serious calls and they’re entertaining offers on P.K. Subban.”

Maybe Bergevin should buy another fancy new tie with Pinochio figures on it.

You knew Canadiens management had a big problem with Subban last February in Colorado after the defenceman lost control of the puck just inside the Avalanche blue line and fell down. It resulted in an unthreatening three-on-three the other way, but when captain Max Pacioretty gave up on his back-check, Jarome Iginla scored what proved to be the winning goal for the Avalanche.

After the game, coach Michel Therrien pointed the finger directly at Subban for the loss, calling it an “individualistic” play. It didn’t seem to matter to the coach that his captain stopped back-checking.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, Nashville Predators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: p.k.+subban

Comments

It’s okay for teams to not want certain players.

I know Weber’s contract situation, but as the Wings have shown, there’s no contract that can’t be moved.  The Habs get back a similar cap hit and a legit top pair or at least top 4 d-man.  If they move PK for anything else, they probably still need to look for a D-man and these days they’re not easy to come by.  I don’t think its this insane fleecing by Nashville that everyone is making it out to be. Its just not a gain for Montreal.  Leaves them in the same spot.

Posted by PMP5030 on 06/30/16 at 01:42 PM ET

What BS journalism that is from Cowan.  Other than age, I’d take Weber over Subban every day of the week.  Once age and contract complications are accounted for, I’d say it’s a pretty fair deal.  And I’m someone that loves Subban and can’t forgive Weber for what he did to Z in the playoffs.  In just a straight up hockey talent right now and for the next couple years, imho, Weber is the better D-man.

And just back to Cowan.  Does anyone know if Pacioretty slept with his wife or something?  I mean, the guy was dragging him into the article so much it felt like a hit piece on the Canadiens captain.

Posted by Wise1 on 06/30/16 at 01:54 PM ET

Well good for the Habs, getting worse while everyone else is trying to get better.

Posted by Garth on 06/30/16 at 02:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Wise1 on 06/30/16 at 01:54 PM ET

He’s hardly the only person who’s linked Subban’s MTL problems to Pacioretty.

Posted by Primis on 06/30/16 at 02:32 PM ET

I wouldn’t want Subban on the Wings team, first of all he has a super ego furthered by his black race, cocky and flamboyant.  He overplays his position (or frankly out of position) he hogs ice time and whines if you look stare at him, sort of like a junk yard dog you make eye contact with.  He makes many mistakes, plays like a bull in a china shop.  Good luck Nashville!

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 06/30/16 at 02:43 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Where he’ll be coached by a HOF-er without your racial hatred and where e’ll probably become the best Dman in the league.  Good luck nashville indeed

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/30/16 at 03:15 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 06/30/16 at 02:43 PM ET

wtf?

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 06/30/16 at 03:22 PM ET

Erm… your racism is showing

Posted by neffernin on 06/30/16 at 03:22 PM ET

Touchy aren’t we tonight, you will be surprised that if I was an American I would be working for the Trump team.  Racism everbody rush to the doors.  I mentioned his colour and his mannerisms fit the bill correctly, just like French Canadians are frogs and people from Newfoundland are Newfies.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 06/30/16 at 05:35 PM ET

I’m afraid that pretty much no one would be surprised by this.

I mentioned his colour and his mannerisms fit the bill correctly

This is textbook racism once again… I imagine most people are just surprised to see someone to blatant and nonchalant about it.

just like French Canadians are frogs and people from Newfoundland are Newfies.

This is not racism, as it doesn’t tie a skin color to attributes.  Certain groups of people do share common characteristics, but races of people do not.

The two do not equate I’m afraid.

This is not about being PC, its about pretending that everyone who shares the same color skin has the same personality…. which is pretty unfair to that group of people and I imagine can be seen as pretty insulting.

Posted by neffernin on 06/30/16 at 05:54 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 06/30/16 at 05:35 PM ET

You’re such a fool. Even if you have those thoughts, are you that dumb that you think that it’s acceptable to communicate them, and that it’ll go over just fine on a board with fairly mature, educated adults?  And to have the audacity to play off anti-racism posts as being “touchy”. Yeah, that illustrates perfectly the bs behind 99% of the anti-PC arguments one hears. Start a new account or deal with this every time I see you post.

He may not be everybody’s cup of tea but there’s always been such a huge double standard with respect to Subban. I’ve posted before how I have a friend (minority, of course, to make it even more hypocritical) who named his daughter after Sean Avery, yet he goes ballistic at the sight of PK because of his antics. Oh, ok. We like our black people, but they better be quiet and know their place, I guess.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 06/30/16 at 05:55 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It may work out good for best teams. A change of scenery for both, plus they will think they have something to prove.  cool smile

Posted by bigfrog on 06/30/16 at 05:57 PM ET

I guess censorship is making it’s way back from the 60’s, young people these days have such thin skins. You probably watch CNN as well.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 06/30/16 at 06:04 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Wish the wings could have picked up Subban. Really wish they would have offer sheet’ed him when he was RFA. Or yeah I guess they could have drafted him before Brendan Smith.

Posted by aerodude on 06/30/16 at 07:41 PM ET