The NHL Franchise In Las Vegas Closing In On A Team Name

from Bill Bradley of the Las Vegas Review-Journal,

Bird might be the word for the Las Vegas NHL franchise.

Franchise owner Bill Foley said Thursday night that he has registered domain names for the nicknames Red Hawks, Nighthawks and Desert Hawks. Foley said he is close to registering two other names as well.

SportsLogos.Net, which has a reputation for finding newly registered sports nicknames and logo changes, first reported the names Thursday.

The three “hawks” names for the team, which is scheduled to open play in 14 months, are registered as several different domain names by Foley’s Black Knight IP Holding Company, LLC.

While the red hawks and desert hawks do not actually exist, the nighthawks are birds that are indigenous to the state, according to the Nevada Department of Wildlife. Also, Nighthawk was the name of the Air Force’s first stealth bomber plane, which made its maiden voyage from Groom Lake and was based out of Nellis Air Force Base.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: las+vegas

Comments

StayClassy's avatar

Red Hawks seems like a terrible choice already having s team called the Blackhawks, but it works it baseball so who knows. I can dig the Nighthawks as the potential mascot especially with all of the tie-ins the mentioned in the article. I’m excited to see some new jerseys at the very least though!

Posted by StayClassy from Wings fan in Columbus on 08/12/16 at 10:19 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I can’t stand the Blackhawks.  Let me start with that.

But having a team name with the word “hawk” in it seems disrespectful to that franchise out of Chicago.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/12/16 at 11:42 AM ET

Paul's avatar

There are reports today saying team is moving away from the word Hawk, so the search continues.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/12/16 at 11:45 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

hmmm ... did a google search for Las Vegas Roadrunners and came up empty as far as sports teams go.  coulda sworn there was a lower level team with that name but ... since no one in the area is using it then I’d go with ‘Roadrunners’.

Maybe a second option would be ‘Gamblers’.

People go to Vegas to gamble so why not ?  Besides ... they can use the Kenny Rogers song as their theme song (as if we’re not already sick of it).

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 08/12/16 at 01:48 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

How about,

Las Vegas Hustlers

Posted by TreKronor on 08/12/16 at 01:59 PM ET

Temo's avatar

I don’t believe the NHL has a mascot that’s a reptile so . . . Las Vegas Sidewinders?

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 08/12/16 at 03:01 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Las Vegas Tourists

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/12/16 at 03:41 PM ET

The_Firebird's avatar

Why not the Vegas Vipers, and simply bring back the logo and the jerseys of the Detroit Vipers? If Palace Sports and Entertainment still owned the rights, I’d bet they’d be cheap enough to acquire.

Posted by The_Firebird on 08/12/16 at 06:45 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I can’t stand the Blackhawks.  Let me start with that.

I second that opinion. You can add Penguins to the list.  cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 08/12/16 at 08:45 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

I like Vipers!  Also the Las Vegas Rebels has a nice ring though it’s already taken by UNLV.  Oh well double down on it.  Vegas is all about mimicking anyway.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 08/12/16 at 09:23 PM ET

As long as it’s not anything tacky, I’m cool with it; though, I’m leaning towards Las Vegas Knights since Foley’s a West Point grad and the logo potential with that is unlimited.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/12/16 at 10:52 PM ET