Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 06/23/13 at 10:21 AM ET
Information below provided by the NHL PR group...
KANE IS ABLE
* Chicago forward Patrick Kane, selected first overall in the NHL Draft six years ago yesterday, recorded his fourth career multi-goal playoff game. Kane has seven goals, including two game-winning scores, in his last seven games. That matches his total from his prior 39 postseason games dating to 2010.
* Kane has nine goals in 22 games during the 2013 playoffs, tied for second in the League and one behind teammate Patrick Sharp. His 19 postseason points also rank second in the NHL, six behind Boston’s David Krejci (9-16—25), who collected an assist in Game 5.
* Kane has 6-7—13 in 11 career Stanley Cup Final games. He leads the Blackhawks with 3-2—5 through the first five games of the 2013 Final and also led the club with 3-5—8, including the series-clinching goal in overtime, in six games versus the Flyers in 2010.
* Kane is the first player in Blackhawks history to record nine or more goals in three postseasons. He also did so in 2009 (nine) and 2010 (10). Over the last 20 years, the only other player to do that for any team was Colorado’s Joe Sakic (1996, 2001, 2002). (Elias)
* Kane, a native of Buffalo, N.Y., is only the fourth U.S.-born player since 1999 to score two goals in a Stanley Cup Final game. There others were New Jersey’s Jamie Langenbrunner in Game 5 of the 2003 Final (Cloquet, Minn.), Chicago’s Dustin Byfuglien in Game 5 of the 2010 Final (Minneapolis, Minn.) and Los Angeles’ Trevor Lewis in Game 6 of the 2012 Final (Salt Lake City, Utah). (Elias)
Chicago captain Jonathan Toews collected two assists in Game 5 and now has four two-assist games this postseason – one in each of the Blackhawks’ four series. The only player with more multi-assist games in the 2013 playoffs is Boston’s David Krejci, who has five. (Elias)
* The Blackhawks improved to 18-4 in Games 5-7 of a playoff series under head coach Joel Quenneville, including a 10-2 home record.
* Chicago goaltender Corey Crawford improved to 11-2 with a 1.54 goals-against average and .939 save percentage in 13 starts at United Center this postseason. He has a 4-5 mark with a 2.31 goals-against average and .923 save percentage in nine road appearances.
* The Blackhawks posted their League-high 11th win when scoring first in playoffs (11-3) and improved to 10-0 when leading after the second period.
* The Blackhawks improved to 4-0 in Game 5s this postseason. The Bruins fell to 1-2.
Z HITS DOUBLE-DIGITS
Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara scored the team’s lone goal, his third of the 2013 postseason and 10th in 83 career playoff games with the Bruins. Chara is the sixth blueliner in Bruins history to record at least 10 postseason goals. The franchise’s all-time leader is Ray Bourque, who scored 36 in 180 career playoff games with the team.
Defensemen have scored 17 of Boston’s 63 goals this postseason (27.0%), the most among all playoff clubs.
MORE HOME SUCCESS
Home teams improved to 59-26 in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs (.694), extending the NHL record for most wins by home clubs in a single postseason. The previous mark of 57 was set during the 1991 playoffs (92 games). Home teams are guaranteed to have a postseason winning percentage of .600 or higher for the first time since 1993, when they went 52-33 (.612).
The Blackhawks have won seven of their last eight games at United Center and have a League-high 11 victories at home this postseason (11-2). They have outscored their opponents, 41-23, on home ice.
Phil Jackson (@PhilJackson11)
Hockey time for all you knuckleheads. Go B-Hawks
Scottie Pippen (@ScottiePippen)
1 to go. Another great outing by @88PKane. Blackhawks looked strong start to finish tonight.
Rahm Emanuel (@RahmEmanuel)
Luke Donald (@LukeDonald)
Kaner’s mullet is so bad it’s good! #1WinToGo
John Krasinski (@johnkrasinski)
Best I could do in a few days!!! Go Bruins!!! @Beardathon http://beardathon.com/bruins. Grow one for Boston!!! pic.twitter.com/KDnayhX6fG
Horatio Sanz (@MrHoratioSanz)
For my 12 fans in Boston. It ain’t personal. It’s business. #hockey
Bill Rancic (@BillRancic)
Hawks Win!!! pic.twitter.com/p8et7tDEP4
HAWKS WIN! @NHLBlackhawks take Game 5 & could win the #StanleyCup on Monday! But don’t count the @NHLBruins out: we’ll likely have a Game 7!
Matt Duchene (@Matt9Duchene)
Chi-town shows they can win the close, low scoring games too! Big statement by Crawford as well answering his critics. #smallenfreuden
The Bruins suffered their first regulation loss since Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, snapping a streak of 14 consecutive games (11-3, with all three losses coming in overtime) . . . The Bruins outhit the Blackhawks, 53-22, led by a game-high eight from Milan Lucic. Lucic leads all players with 101 hits in the 2013 postseason . . . Chicago defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson led all skaters with a +3 rating and is tied for sixth in the League in plus/minus this postseason (+10) . . . Boston forward Carl Soderberg made his playoff debut, registering two shots on goal and three hits in 14:16 of ice-time . . . Chicago forward Bryan Bickell and Boston defenseman Adam McQuaid posted their latest blogs following Game 5 . . . Actress Michelle Pfeiffer and writer/producer David Kelley were in attendance for Game 5
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com