The Latest Realignment Plan

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

The plan was detailed in an NHL memo sent to all 30 clubs Tuesday, which a team source leaked to ESPN.com.

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

The plan still needs approval from the NHL Players' Association plus the NHL's Board of Governors. The NHLPA and NHL have been working on these changes for the past three weeks.

If approved by all parties, the plan would go into effect for next season.

The Eastern Conference would feature the Atlantic and Central divisions while the Western Conference would have the Mid-West and Pacific Divisions.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

The TSN version, which is probably the same as the ESPN version since LeBrun did both, bu the TSN version ie easier on the eyes.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/13 at 03:16 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

That’s an even dumber plan then what they had before. Seriously, can’t have 16 teams in one conference going for 8 spots and 14 in the other conference going for 8. Can’t happen, just can’t. Winnipeg to NW, Minny to Central, Nashville to SE and the problems are solved. Is the NHL really bent on continuing it’s run as the dumbest league in North America?

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 03:32 PM ET

awould's avatar

This is terrible.

Move Columbus back to west and have 2 conferences with 15 teams each. Top 8 seeds from each Conference advance. Then either seed teams 1-16 and have a league-wide playoff, or seed 1-8 in each Conference and do it that way.

There needs to be an equal shot at making the playoffs for every team.

Posted by awould on 02/26/13 at 03:55 PM ET

Get back to the board room and re-think this again, NHL.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/26/13 at 04:00 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Hey, at least the NHL hasn’t asked Rutgers and Maryland to join it.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 02/26/13 at 04:03 PM ET

I don’t understand why there is so much negativity towards this.  I like it.  as long as the last 4 spots are for wild card teams.  from EITHER division.  The west keeps the Wings boring.

Posted by scarchofi on 02/26/13 at 04:19 PM ET

Yeah, I don’t get the negativity either.  Makes sense to me, and the ‘conferences’ may not be balanced, but they make more sense than having divisions with teams from different time zones just because each division needs six teams in it.

Having the possibility of a wildcard or crossover spot would be fine.

Posted by Garth on 02/26/13 at 04:24 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Having the possibility of a wildcard or crossover spot would be fine

This is where I’m at with this whole thing. ^^^^^

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 04:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Elliotte Friedman with his remarks and comments of the proposal.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/13 at 04:56 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Hey, at least the NHL hasn’t asked Rutgers and Maryland to join it.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 02/26/13 at 03:03 PM ET

Yeah, but this current plan is like asking Michigan and Ohio State to join a conference with BC, Syracuse, UConn, <required Candian University here>, Florida, and FSU. Does that make sense?

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 04:58 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

And what happens when Phoenix moves to QC as so many think will happen or a 2nd team possibly goes to Toronot? Do Detroit and Columbus move back over to the Midwest? I’m sorry, but both those cities are midwest cities and should be grouped as such. Yes, that’s my East Coast bias but I don’t really care. When I think Detroit, I also think Chicago and Minnesota from a sports perspective.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 05:03 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Having the possibility of a wildcard or crossover spot would be fine

This is where I’m at with this whole thing. ^^^^^

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 03:25 PM ET

I really have to ask. Is there this much angst with the Pistons playing in a division with 3 (I’m counting Indy because I can never figure out what time they’re following) other teams not in their time zone and only 1 in their time zone? Is there this much angst with the Tigers playing in a division with 3 other teams not in their time zone?

If it’s more the fact it’s division is in a western conference instead of an eastern, which is where I think the true issue is, then do like baseball and have cross-continent conferences, not this unbalanced division format that doesn’t do anything for possibly expansion/relocation and makes it easier to get into the playoffs in one conference versus the other.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 05:12 PM ET

Agreed.  Let’s make changes based on things that may happen eventually at some point or may not ever happen at all, rather than the reality as it is right now.

Congratulations.

I frankly don’t give a good god damn what happens with the Tigers or the Pistons.  I’m talking about the Red Wings.

then do like baseball and have cross-continent conferences

So your resolution is not to have a simple movement of a couple teams but to completely revamp the entire league, changing everything, most likely including most, if not every, currently-standing rivalry?

Awesome!

Posted by Garth on 02/26/13 at 05:25 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

phillyd, take it easy, guy. While I respect your opinion on this subject, I just like the new format better. Difference of opinion. I know that the Chicago/Detroit rivalry is a huge one, with the two teams playing each other more than any other two teams. And I know that Detroit and Chicago play each other in all the other sports. Having said that, I don’t give a damn about other what other sports do. If baseball jumped off a cliff, should hockey do it too? As far as rivalries go, I’d trade the Chicago rivalry for Toronto AND Montreal any day. And look at it this way, we could actually play Chicago in the Stanley Cup Final. I’m not hating on you, bro (you mad?), it’s just I don’t see this as a negative like you do.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 05:25 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

For all the critics of this new alignment who may be fans of teams in oh say….Philly,NJ,NY,or any east coast team for that matter, how bout we try this experiment:

Starting this season until the year 2033 your teams play 1/3 of all their regular season games on the west coast.Then, as a bonus for making the playoffs, all your games will start at 10:30 pm, and if your really lucky the playoff game goes into 2 OT’s and don’t end until 2:45 am.

So put up with that crap for 20 years and then let’s see if your still against realignment.

If your still against it ?.......tough suck it !!

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/26/13 at 05:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

DRD, you forgot if playing Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, add another hour for customs. Sure it happens in the East too, but the trip is much shorter.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/26/13 at 05:49 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

We are all going to have opinions about this new format. Good, bad or otherwise. That’s what it awesome about forums like this. You want to know what my favorite part of this new proposal is? I bet you’d never guess. It’s the fact that we aren’t in the same division as Nashville anymore. LIving down here, that was the one thing I wanted in any realignment proposal. Above all else, that’s what I like the most. All of the other stuff, it’s all just a bonus from my point of view.

As far as the other stuff in the new proposal goes, I don’t give a rat’s ass about the 16/14 split. I don’t and I didn’t with the last proposal. I don’t care about that at all.

The rivalry with Chicago? Yeah, it’s a big one and the fans there hate them some Red Wings and the feeling is mutual. But that doesn’t mean that hate will go away anytime soon. And as far as the Original 6 matchups go, we’re going to end up basically coming out at +3 when you think about what we’re gaining as opposed to what we’re losing. Besides, no one seems to bring up the fact that we used to be in the same division as Toronto and I don’t really recall the same amount of uproar when we lost THAT rivalry.

I also like the fact that everyone is going to finally play everyone every year. I think, as DRD said above, that it’s bullshit that the teams in NY almost never had to leave their time zone. Well, bitches, all aboard!! Get your asses on the plane and enjoy the fuching jet lag.

Bottom line is, as the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes. It’s just that now we all have a place to show ours.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 06:44 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I apologize for bringing up any mentions of other sports. I will refrain from doing that in the future.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 07:10 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/26/13 at 05:44 PM ET

Oh, I’m not mad. I personally can’t stand unbalanced divisions/conferences. That’s my whole beef with this realignment. I also think they have a few franchises that are in enough flux they shouldn’t go all crazy and massive in the realignment until those things and any future expansion plans are finalized. I still think the holy grail is a 2-4-4 alignment but who knows what that would look like because it would mean splitting up teams in Eastern Conference that are very comfortable with their current alignments and would be predicated on expanding to 32 teams.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/26/13 at 07:33 PM ET