The Latest On Artemi Panarin

from Sonny Sachdeva of Sportsnet,

On Sunday, Panarin’s agent, Daniel Milstein, provided an update on his client’s position in a lengthy interview with The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline, confirming that the winger informed the Blue Jackets before the 2018 draft of his indecision regarding an extension with the club.

It appears the central issues for the former Chicago Blackhawk are the term of a potential deal and simply the franchise’s location, as Panarin hasn’t yet decided whether he wants to spend much of the next decade in Columbus, according to his agent.

“[Panarin] loves the team, he loves the coach. It’s not the team or the way they treat him,” Milstein explained to Portzline. “It’s about, does he want to spend the next eight years in Columbus? That’s the only thing at stake right now. If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: artemi+panarin

Comments

If it was a two-year deal we probably would have done it.

So offer him a two-year deal and let him think about it a bit. Jesus, why does every player have to be on a long-term deal. He’s got a year lift. Sign him for two more and if he still hasn’t decided by his last off-season or trade deadline, deal him.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 07/08/18 at 07:53 PM ET

Chet's avatar

they need to move him.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/08/18 at 08:36 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Of course Columbus would love to sign him long term. They traded assets to get him, and want to keep that investment.

But this is Ohio. Ohio sucks. Deal with it!

Posted by ilovehomers on 07/08/18 at 09:34 PM ET

Seeing what happened to the Islanders I think they better move him sooner than later.

Posted by Steve1306 on 07/09/18 at 07:00 AM ET

yeah, if I’m reading correctly, Milstein is saying: well, if it was a 2-yr deal…but
it doesn’t sound like he’s saying that’s something they’re actually interested in.

I’m sure they want the big salary and term that an 82 pt season buys
for a guy his age with his exciting skill. Why take 2, when he could suffer
a bad injury the second season in and never be worth as much again?

I didn’t think Milstein was even going to come out and say…it’s the city
he isn’t so into. But he did. Don’t see how they go back from that now.
Even though Panarin has never seemed like an attitude problem before.

This is a tough one for Columbus. No, there are no beaches or mountains
and no huge cosmopolitan cultural scene - or large numbers of other Russian
expats, like in some of the other places he’s apparently interested in.

But it’s kind of funny timing. The NY Post (yeah, I know..) ran a story not too long ago about how Columbus is the city so many New Yorkers are flocking too, in search of green space, and easy commutes, and (relatively) affordable housing - plus an overall thriving job market, local arts scene, the state capital and a huge university. Columbus is one of the magnets in the Midwest attracting people from throughout the region.

It’s just that if you’re a rich superstar hockey player it’s not so easy to be satisfied.
Even if you came from a very humble beginning.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/09/18 at 07:43 AM ET

I live here.  It’s no new york.

If you like drinking and bars, it’s a mecca.  If you like culture its NOT for you.

Voted by Forbes as the rudest state to live in.  Not a huge sell.

Cleveland is awesome as far as the community goes, Columbus leaves A LOT to be desired.

Posted by ThatGuy on 07/09/18 at 10:08 AM ET

Interesting.

I’ve lived in Detroit,  then Columbus, then more briefly in: Memphis, Atlanta,
the Bay Area; then Columbus again; and in for the last fifteen or so years NYC
(hey, i’m pretty old!)

Now I’m looking at going back to Columbus for at least a stretch,
mostly for family reasons.

I think Columbus has come a long way. When we arrived, I seriously
could not believe the childish lunacy surrounding OSU sports and why
everyone was so obsessed with hating Michigan. But I’m sure if I move
back it’ll hit me: where is everything?! I always thought of Cleveland as
almost belonging to a different region than Columbus, but can’t say I know that
city well.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/09/18 at 12:38 PM ET

Lol well I hope the best for you bud, there are definitely some positives.  Cost of living is low enough you can afford to go to other places.

That OSUmania is just a little too John Jones for me.

Not all bad though.