The First Power Rankings Of The Season

from Scott Cullen of TSN

Scott Cullen's Power Ranking Methodology is explained here.

This Week 1 Penguins 51-25-6

A healthy Sidney Crosby paired with reigning MVP Evgeni Malkin makes the Penguins the team to beat, but they will need their complementary players to perform well and, after Marc-Andre Fleury's playoff flop, Tomas Vokoun could be a valuable insurance policy in net.
Key Injuries: None.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul From Cali's avatar

What a shock.  Training camps haven’t even opened and I’m already annoyed by the east coast bias…..

Ok, I give you that IF Crosby is healthy the Pens might be the best team in the league.

The Rangers 2nd?  REALLY?  It’s going to take about 50 games for Nash to find his niche with the Rangers, if Torts doesn’t bench him…..wait?  There’s only 48 games this season??!!  Oh my….

Boston 3rd without their best player?  I don’t think so.  Raask is good but he’s not Thomas.

The Blues 4th?  I’m not even going to dignify that with a comment.

Vancouver in 5th?  Who’s their goalie again?  Sorry, not buying it.

Chicago should probably be top 3 on this list but they do have a big question mark in goal…like they always do

How is Detroit even in the top 15?  Yes, Zetterberg & Datsyuk are great, but that’s all they got.  Their best player retired and their young goalie took a step back last year.  Plus the entire team is old enough to draw Social Security.

Nashville in 8th?  The writer did notice they lost their 2nd best player right?

Philly in 9th, with a goalie so great they’re already looking to replace him?  Gimme a break.

Which brings me to the DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS, who are returning their ENTIRE TEAM!!!  Yes, Kopitar’s injury sucks but he’ll be back by the end of the first week or so.  The Kings should be ranked NO LOWER than 3rd!

Posted by Paul From Cali on 01/11/13 at 01:01 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

The East Coast bias of a sports news organization based out of Toronto?

Plus the entire team is old enough to draw Social Security.

You forgot to mention they’re too slow and too European. And Chris Osgood is an overrated goalie.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/11/13 at 01:13 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Paul From Cali

Every single team above LA is better than LA, except maybe Bubba.  LA got hot at the right time and played great for 30 games.  Nice use of exclamation points and CAPS though. I could hear you screaming and it was fun.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/11/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

Paul From Cali over exaggerating and throwing a tantrum? never seen that before.

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 01/11/13 at 01:26 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

In other news, the Central division has 4 of the top 8 teams… this is going to be a brutal division this year if that turns out to be true. It will be really interesting to see how this all plays out. I think Nashville and St. Louis will take a step back this season.

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 01/11/13 at 01:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

Plus the entire team is old enough to draw Social Security.

This statement alone disqualifies you from having an opinion about hockey. Why don’t you trot out the Yankees on Ice stereotype too? Or have you not been following hockey long enough to remember that one?

Posted by awould on 01/11/13 at 01:41 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 01/11/13 at 01:29 PM ET

I think Nashville might take a step back, though not too much with their goalie and coaching, but I think St. Louis is legit.

Posted by awould on 01/11/13 at 01:42 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I don’t care how healthy Crosby is they did nothing to shore up their D. Unless Pittsburgh (and Philly, btw) expect to win games 6-5 or 10-8, I don’t see how either could be in the top 10 right now heading into the season. The rest of it, meh, it’s almost like they took last year’s regular season standings and just moved some things around. Besides, power rankings mean squat, it’s the real standings that matter and everybody is 0-0-0-0 (I think that’s all the columns, right?).

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 01/11/13 at 02:14 PM ET

Plus the entire team is old enough to draw Social Security.

I like the complaint about biases right before the eyeroll-worthy generalizations that show your own jackassery.

Posted by Garth on 01/11/13 at 04:35 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by awould on 01/11/13 at 01:42 PM ET

You expect both those goalies to catch lightning in bottle 2 years in a row?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/11/13 at 05:37 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Nashville in 8th?  The writer did notice they lost their 2nd best player right?

Suter is not actually such a big deal.  Ellis and Blum are coming along well.  Rinne is seriously good.  I am not underestimating this group.

But obviously the Kings should be higher than 10th.  That’s pretty much counting on a hangover.  This team definitely has some guys with inconsistent go-get (doughty, carter, penner, etc), but Quick is in the hunt for the Vez.

PS - there’s some fairly young players in Detroit.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/12/13 at 12:09 AM ET