The Emails Have Stopped

Most of you know KK attracts the die-hard type of hockey fan plus the median age is probably higher than most other hockey sites.

I get a fair share of emails on numerous hockey topics ranging from where is ex-NHL player so-and-so to discussing what seems to be the hot topic of the day.

But lately, within the last week, the emails discussing the lockout have stopped, come to a sudden halt and for the future of the game, that can't be a good thing.

Die-hard fans losing interest in the game they love should send a message to those who are attempting to negotiate the next CBA.

I truly believe some of those people will not come back and how can they be blamed, each of us reaches a point where we have had enough and decide to move to other forms of entertainment.

The sad thing about this whole mess is both sides still feel they have to continue to sway those interested by using the media to their advantage.

Radio interviews, email leaks and everything in-between tells me the sides are still not thinking seriously about finding common ground.

Another month of this, I may have to start sending out emails and asking those who used to strike up conversations at KK to say something, anything and I wouldn't be surprised if they told me they are done with the game they once loved.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

ITDeuce's avatar

Paul, it is pretty tough to take it in the keister yet again from both the league and the players.  I mean seriously, we’ve made them rich.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiccccccchhhhhhhhhh.  And they couldn’t care less about how we feel about it.  Truly, they don’t care.  Another stoppage less than 10 years later?  How could they care?

Go ahead league and players, prove it to me that I can make it another year without hockey.  What a business model.

I refuse to absolve the players here, because it does take two to tango.  But I realize that Bettman hasn’t done the game any favors.  What the league needs is to have someone who truly cares about HOCKEY acting as commish.  Gretzky perhaps?  Could there be a better steward for the game?  But basically anyone who cares enough to make decisions based on good of the game.

I’ve been a member here for a long time.  Since there was actual membership, and a few years posting over at A2Y before that, but I’ve remained real quit about all of this bullshit because I’m just so damn disappointed in all of this.  That’s right I pulled out my daddy word.  I’m disappointed, not mad, not angry… frigging disappointed.  Shame on you NHL… shame on you.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 11/23/12 at 10:06 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

It’s a pretty basic concept in business: don’t ever let the people know how much they really don’t need your product. (yeah, I know, double-negative, but you get the point).

The fact the NHL has let the people know they can live without it, not only once but twice, shows the league is mismanaged to an astonishing degree. I suppose we’re getting close to the point that it will be considered somewhat of a surprise if the NHL actually survives as an entity.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/23/12 at 10:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m sticking around Paul.  I check the site every day or so for news, there just hasn’t been much to say lately.  In spite of all this the Red Wings are No. 1 on my sports agenda, and I won’t pretend that the lockout is gonna keep me away.  It looks more and more like the joke is on me.

Nonetheless, I am not going to join the “blame both sides” crowd.  Ownership is being totally unreasonable, and the players are right to balk at their intransigence.  I just hope that the owners see the damage that their pit bull has done to their product and find a new commissioner that knows the difference between a sledgehammer and a scalpel… and when the right tool is needed.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/23/12 at 10:47 PM ET

starsfan26's avatar

don’t ever let the people know how much they really don’t need your product.

Great quote.  I love the NHL and will be glued to the TV for free games when they are back, but the days of buying merchandise, paying for Center Ice, etc, are over for me.

I live in Houston, so I can’t imagine the internal struggle for you guys who want to go to games but don’t want to pay for tickets again.

Posted by starsfan26 on 11/23/12 at 11:24 PM ET

The people that really like hockey will be back buying tickets in no time.  The people who feel like they have to ‘take a stand’ may stay away for upwards of 3 months.

The really smart people stopped going to games and handing over thousands of dollars to pro sports teams years ago.  Now, we just consume the NHL as it is provided, for free, on big TVs and home entertainment systems that last 8 years and cost less than a seasons worth of tickets, and maybe occasionally pay sub-face on Stub Hub for a game or two every now and then.

Just to remind us how stupid we were for throwing so much of our money into a sport where, literally, nobody involved in it would put your desires ahead of any of theirs for a single second.

Seriously, people, why do you do this to yourselves?  The NHL doesn’t care about you.  The players don’t care about you.  All you are is a means to both of their financial enrichments.  You’re Johns.

Enjoy the sport.  Love the sport.  Never, ever, ever for a moment even consider trusting the sport.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/23/12 at 11:56 PM ET

It’s gotten to me, too.  I’ve actually become addicted to watching the late night “Brazil Butt Lift” infomercials.  Yeah, that’s how pathetic this parade of charades by both sides.

But I still visit your site for every single one of my hockey news, Paul.  Count on that.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/24/12 at 03:46 AM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

I moved on with college basketball. UM is doing really well, so it’s a good time to pay attention. I still check the site 3-4x daily and click on the ads, but I’m not really upset about this lockout. I’d love to see datsyuk play again though :’(

Posted by Keyser S. on 11/24/12 at 12:28 PM ET

it’s going to take a miracle to bring back hockey.

Posted by FlyersFan on 11/25/12 at 01:08 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Not long ago I considered myself a die-hard NHL fan. But this most recent labor dispute caused game stoppage has caused me to re-consider my outlook on this position. I am not a NHL fan, I am a hockey fan. The NHL doesn’t equal the sport; it’s the other way around: the NHL is less than the sport. I’ve decided that I really don’t care about the NHL, and due their poor business management skills, I have no intention to provide the league any of my financial resources going forward. If play resumes, I will follow what is going on in the league, and I will frequent this site for the great information and smart hockey audience; but the (bush) league should count me out.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 11/26/12 at 02:06 PM ET