The Debut Of Kendall Coyne-Schofield Last Night

from NHL.com,

Coyne Schofield spent the first period Wednesday "Inside the Glass" with Pierre McGuire and delivered an astute breakdown of Tampa Bay's defense after a first-period goal by Pittsburgh's Riley Sheahan.

"All four Lightning players were facing the wrong way," Coyne Schofield said.

Coyne Schofield provided analysis both before the game on "NHL Live" and during the first intermission then joined John Forslund and Eddie Olczyk in the booth for the final two periods. She also played bubble hockey with Penguins defenseman Brian Dumoulin before the game for a feature that aired during the broadcast.

read on

Below, some folks were not happy with Pierre McGuire.  My personal view, he was just fine.

from Lauren Theisen of Deadspin,

Olympic hockey gold medalist Kendall Coyne is one of the analysts for NBC’s broadcast of Lightning-Penguins tonight, which is cool! She’s still riding high after a strong showing in last Friday’s all-star game skills competition, and her credentials as a hockey knower are unimpeachable.

Unfortunately, Coyne’s gig has her working at ice level alongside perennial hockey-fan punching bag Pierre McGuire, who had already been just a teensy bit too touchy with her on Friday. McGuire’s only obvious qualifications for his job are an undying love for all referees and an encyclopedic knowledge of amateur team rosters from five years ago. But somehow, before the game, McGuire talked to his colleague as if he had the gold medal in his trophy case, and Coyne was just some girl at a bar who needed icing defined for her.

continued

Check out Greg's Twitter timeline for more on this...

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kendall+coyne+schofield, nbcsn

Comments

Paul's avatar

ET Canada has more Twitter reaction too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 10:53 AM ET

Below, some folks were not happy with Pierre McGuire.

I get that she’s a gold medalist, but it was also her first game ever as a broadcaster, so how about we accept that the veterans she’s working with are going to do most of the heavy lifting in her first game ever as a broadcaster instead of just assuming it’s misogyny?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/31/19 at 11:03 AM ET

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/31/19 at 10:03 AM ET

Agree 100%, this was her first time doing her new job. Why is everyone so offended by everything all the time.

Posted by George0211 on 01/31/19 at 11:06 AM ET

Paul's avatar

On Twitter last night, words like mansplaining were being tossed around, whatever that means.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 11:11 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

I actually thought similarly about the douche Pierre: he kept talking to her like she was an excitable girl.

Posted by duhduhduh on 01/31/19 at 11:13 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I wouldn’t say I’m offended. Did I do a hearty eye roll? Yeah you bet. Pierre treated her like she’s an idiot. He’s projecting again.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 01/31/19 at 11:28 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

So, the only prerequisite to being on NBC’s Hockey brodcast team is that you’re a really fast skater? No brodcast experience necessary….

That would certainly explain the hiring of the likes of Kieth Jones, Mike Milbury, Jeremy Roenick, Brian Boucher, and others.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/31/19 at 12:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

There certainly is a PR slant to all of this.

Last night, I went to the NBC site, trying to find the video of Bob McKenzie talking about the recent NHL news and trade talks.

It was nowhere to be found, although I did find it via an RSS feed, but I did find videos of Coyne-Shofield, one even with her playing bubble hockey.

Since NBC will be showing the next Winter Olympics and with the possibility of the NHL being a no-show, they will find any way to promote the women’s game.

Nothing against Coyne-Shoflield by the way.

But NBC still does not get how to produce and NHL game and giving the fans what they want.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 12:34 PM ET

Paul's avatar

A tweet from Coyne-Shofield this morning…

What an unforgettable night to cap off this incredible week. Thank you @NBCSports for the opportunity to be an analyst on #WNH alongside the best linemates in the business. I had SO much fun! I’m so excited to continue to learn & grow in this role! Thanks for all of the support!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 12:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Headline at Time.com,

NHL Analyst Under Fire for ‘Explaining’ Hockey to a Women’s Team Olympic Gold Medalist

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 12:39 PM ET

Headline at Time.com,

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 11:39 AM ET

What a bunch of garbage. Time should be ashamed.

Posted by George0211 on 01/31/19 at 12:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Fox News just chimed in….

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/19 at 12:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Deadspin agrees that Pierre was an embararssment with how he handled being alongside her:

I’m not a Pierre fan, but I will say this:  I don’t think Pierre had any idea how he was coming off at the time.  He’s too wrapped up in trying to be this big TV personality, and that’s when he’s at his worst.  He’s at his best when he’s mostly quiet and just occasionally chimes in with something insightful.  This all came off to me as him “trying too hard”, though I admittedly not sure what exactly it was he was trying.  Because it was a bit off and weird even for him.

But it was very cringe-worthy.  I’m glad she ignored the eye-rolling-ness and just powered through and had a good experience.

Sothe only prerequisite to being on NBC’s Hockey brodcast team is that you’re a really fast skaterNo brodcast experience necessary….

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/31/19 at 11:26 AM ET

It was for a single game.  She did not immediately launch into a career from it.  I guess no more Snoop Dogg in the both either…

Posted by Primis on 01/31/19 at 01:25 PM ET

Sheahan scored?  big surprise

Posted by leftwing on 01/31/19 at 01:30 PM ET

“All four Lightning players were facing the wrong way,”

And now we know what it takes.

Posted by Unhealthy Scratch on 01/31/19 at 01:39 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I work with a guy who’s very similar to Pierre - knows a lot and can be a great resource, but finds a way to put you down and make it seem like you’re an idiot.  Sometimes my coworker does it on purpose to prove his worth, but other times he truly doesn’t see it.

I think the same is true for Pierre - that clip where he tells her which side is which team is probably a set-up line for her, but it’s dumbed down too far for anyone older then 5 years old.  It’s not a gender thing…that would be inappropriate no matter who you say it to but I truly think Pierre would say it to a man and a woman alike.

Her analysis of “all four Lightning players facing the wrong way” sure wasn’t much better though.  If instead Pierre had said that to Schofield, the internet would likely have exploded.

I don’t care which gender is doing which jobs, but it’s freaking annoying that once you change things up like this everything becomes hyper sensitive on what is said, how it’s said, and how people perceive it.  Damn I get enough of that in my personal life; I don’t want it while I’m watching hockey.

*excuse me while I retreat to the woods*

Posted by TreKronor on 01/31/19 at 02:39 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

It’s funny, any other day of the week most of you froth venom for that d-bag Pierre. Now when he gives another live example of why people (rightfully) dislike him, you guys say, “oh please. nothing to see here.” Kinda funny.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 01/31/19 at 02:43 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’ve stated many times how much I couldn’t stand him 7-10 years ago or whatever, but right around 2012/2013 he started to change and honestly became so much better at his job.  He’s not perfect, but he’s much better than Olzcyk and I can listen to him easier than Doc (who in the last 3 or so years has gotten to the point where he just kinda rambles into weird topics).

So, I would have bagged on Pierre some years ago but I think he’s gotten a lot better and I don’t have any issues with him anymore.  He was absolutely miserable before though when he would only gush about the Pens (probably because he was new to announcing and was most familiar with the Pens org).

Posted by TreKronor on 01/31/19 at 02:53 PM ET

Unnecessary? Sure, but it’s just like when they say the team in the home red and the road team in white.

Yes! Thank you! The red wings wearing the red jerseys when you already said the game was in Detroit at LCA. Got it!

The fact that you said something obvious doesn’t automatically make it sexist. No Pierre fan here either. I went in watching the video think oh an idiot did something idiotic.

Posted by RussianRocket10 on 01/31/19 at 08:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Pierre sucks for this. And sucks for creepiness in general.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/31/19 at 08:28 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

You mean constantly drooling about Chicago and Pittsburgh isn’t what fans want?  LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 01/31/19 at 10:19 PM ET