The Benching Of Pierre-Luc Dubois

from Aaron Portzline of The Athletic,

Dubois’ situation went from a brushfire to a bonfire Thursday when the Blue Jackets’ No. 1 center was benched by coach John Tortorella for the final two periods of a 3-2 overtime loss to Tampa Bay in Nationwide Arena.

Yes, the Blue Jackets’ leading scorer last season — arguably the most talented forward on the roster, though he’s off to a rough start this season — finished the game with five shifts and 3:55 in playing time and sat on the bench for the final 44:36.

This could have been the last straw for Tortorella: On Dubois’ last shift, late in the first period, he took nearly 10 seconds to go from the far end of the rink to the Blue Jackets’ bench to make a change.

“I’m not going to have a discussion with you guys about it,” Tortorella told reporters afterward. “It’s not difficult for me. I have to call them as I see them and go about our business on the bench and try to win a hockey game.”

read on (paid subsription)

added 6:03pm, below, watch Dubois meeting with the media today.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Seems like a good reason to bench someone.  rolleyes

I guess we know THE reason that PLD wants out of Columbus though…

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/22/21 at 09:08 AM ET

The same habits are expected of everyone.

Dubois is outing himself as a prima donna
and is sabotaging his team and teammates in order
to what - pout? force a trade in which his team is hurt because it has little leverage?

Tortorella can be abrasive, sure.

But the anonymous comments quoted from teammates
were that he wants “a bigger stage”. At 21 or 22. A winning,
up and coming team isn’t good enough.

He’s embarrassing himself and looking petty and spiteful.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/22/21 at 11:04 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Completely predictable script. You can always count on Torts to maximize drama and then play the straight man routine.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/22/21 at 11:05 AM ET

Any player would be benched for taking that long
on a change.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/22/21 at 11:16 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

It’s hilarious to me how many excuses are made for players when they are asked to play hard.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/22/21 at 11:19 AM ET

I like both player and coach.  Both are coming off grimey the longer this goes on.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/22/21 at 11:46 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/22/21 at 11:19 AM ET

100%.  I always think to myself, what would the greatest coach in NHL history do, and I think Bowman might’ve already traded him.

Sounds like this kid needs to be ground a bit, lots of talent though, but when your teammates are talking about you anonymously well, look in the mirror son.

I will say Tortorella is probably not helping himself out in the long run here, this is a new era of primadonna athletes for one, and for two, if he’s gonna be in Columbus, he should want to maximize not diminish his trade value.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/22/21 at 12:21 PM ET

Wondering if any of you watched this video about the wings being interested in Dubois from a week ago and what your thoughts are?

In the video he thinks the price would be high, (Mantha, Veleno, plus picks) but I think as this lingers on, the price will go down. Would you be interested if the price dropped down to something like Rasmussen and a 2nd?

I think this looks a lot like the Jonathan Drouin (3rd overall) saga which ended in a one for one trade for Sergachev, (9th overall in his draft) when many at the time thought Yzerman would be able to get alot more for Drouin.

I think on paper the trade would look like a steal for the wings, but if Dubois just has a crappy work ethic whose to say, Rasmussen isn’t the better player in the long run?

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 01/22/21 at 01:24 PM ET

My faith in Rass skyrocketed last game.  Some clicked for him snd that passive tentative guy was hard on pucks and SLICK with some steals.  Hes got me interested again.

Mantha Valeno i dont hate.  Valeno i have my reservations on.  Hes got that problem Rass had.  Some guys never break through.  But hes young and the talent is there to make us kick ourselves 4 or 5 years down the road.  Same with Mantha.

Posted by ThatGuy on 01/22/21 at 03:35 PM ET