The Availability Of Keith Yandle And Other Arizona Coyotes

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

What about Keith Yandle? He still has another season left on his deal next season and, at 28, could still be part of the reshaping of this roster.

But then again, there are contenders who view him as a great pickup, especially if they can get him for two playoffs, not just one.

"He's always a name that comes up," Maloney said. "Keith Yandle is a very important part on our team, and he's a good player. He's been a top offensive defenseman for the last five years in the league. I'm not actually out there shopping his name around at all, but people have talked to me about it. I'd like to build that base, not subtract from it. We don't have enough Keith Yandles. That's not to say if a deal comes along in the next week or the next month or at the draft ... but he's still a relatively young player that does something better than most players in the league."

Yandle just shrugged his shoulders Wednesday. He's been down this path before.

"It's one of those things where it seems like every year I hear my name," he said. "I'm immune to it now. I don't take any of it personally. I tell myself that it's a good thing other teams want you. It's been talked about for the last six years, and you just have to play it by year."

more on the Arizona Coyotes "reset"...

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: keith+yandle

Comments

Taking a “long-term look” like Barroway is asking for works on a couple levels. He’s come in at the right time. The long-term look means the team is going to likely be bad for 2-3 more years before the young assets bear fruit. That also means bad hockey during that time, which likely means low fan support in a market that already struggles.

See where I’m going here? If the timing is right, this team will be good in 3 years and at the same time, with the Arizona out clause, he can probably move a team just coming into its own to a more desirable hockey market. Nothing would get a new market - e.g., Seattle or previous market wanting a team again - more excited than a good young team with a promising future (and likely centerpiece of Eichel or McDavid).

Is this Barroway’s long-term angle? If he really wants to own a team, he can possibly relocate this and have a great success somewhere else and if he wants to simply make some money, this probably works to do that as well. Win-win.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/29/15 at 10:23 AM ET

Wings have always been tied to Yandle rumors, but he’s always been either not available or price tag was too high. I wonder what the asking price is now.

Posted by George0211 on 01/29/15 at 10:54 AM ET

Same as always: A roster player, a pick, and a prospect. Mantha comes up a lot when people approach the Wings, but they’ve been very reluctant to trade him because they desperately need big, skilled players.

He won’t be cheap, that’s for damn sure.

Maybe Tatar/Nyquist/Smith, Pulkinnen/Karin, and a 1st or 2nd round pick? I’m just guessing, of course.

Posted by Dobralov74 on 01/29/15 at 11:12 AM ET

I mean Pulkinnen/Larkin, not Karin, haha

Posted by Dobralov74 on 01/29/15 at 11:13 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I just see it as another team in limbo, much like the Sabers, talking about a rebuild but unable to stomach the changes needed to really get it going full swing.  So they over value their assets and only end up trading the Vermettes of the world.  And the GM can say they really tried, but the market just wasn’t there. We’ll get em at the draft, and the story will be the same there as well.

If they had traded Doan and Yandle a couple of years ago for high draft picks/prospects, who knows how much farther along they’d be right now.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/29/15 at 11:17 AM ET

I keep thinking there’s something unusual going on with the defense. Really, what does the team need? The PP has been sharp, so there’s a lessened need on right-hand shot defensemen. Beyond that, the concern in my eyes has been that overall, there isn’t a great lockdown guy nor is there a great offensive guy. So getting a guy like Yandle gives us an offensive guy but does it improve the defense overall (you could argue that having the puck more and driving the offense more makes the defense better).

It feels funny this year. Maybe this is the year of Yandle.

Asking price? I am guessing the Wings are hoping Pulkkinen can be used as a centerpiece and one of the defense prospects not named Ouellet is likely to be dangled out there. The thing is, last year I kept hearing Marchenko was the guy “most ready” and that turned into Ouellet (possibly due to Marchenko’s injury). But this year, I haven’t heard a peep about whether they think he’s ready or not. I haven’t heard anything at all. Which makes me wonder where Marchenko’s at and what his value is….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/29/15 at 11:17 AM ET

I wonder if they try to push Jurco out there before Pulkkinen.  After flashes last year, he’s only got two goals this year, despite moving pretty much all the way up and down the lineup in an effort to get him going, plus Pulkkinen is a righty, and having an offensively gifted righty on the roster lessens the need for any D they pick up the be a righty.  The potential is still there for Jurco, but I wonder if Jurco/D-prospect/pick can get it done…  Of course, you have to think that Detroit would send one of the current six regulars they have, in order to fit Yandle in there.

Smith/Jurco/pick?  Probably not enough…  Hmm.

Posted by Garth on 01/29/15 at 12:18 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/29/15 at 12:18 PM ET

Do you really not think Junco already is, or soon will be, better than Abdelkader? Swap their line positions and see if Jurco can score.

Posted by duhduhduh on 01/29/15 at 01:34 PM ET

I imagine Yandle would command a Tatar or Nyquist level player; that being said it would be a mistake to get rid of either of them given their cap hit to goal ratio.

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/15 at 01:46 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Why not Smith, Sproul, and a pick?

Posted by duhduhduh on 01/29/15 at 01:57 PM ET

I think they have different roles and I think that Abdelkader is excelling at what he is supposed to do while Jurco is playing well but isn’t getting the results.

I also think that there is not a lot of room on the roster for everyone looking for a place next year and Jurco would be a good trading piece.  More attractive than Abdelkader.

Posted by Garth on 01/29/15 at 02:20 PM ET

I imagine Yandle would command a Tatar or Nyquist level player

I can’t imagine any team would give up that level of player (especially as part of a package) for Yandle.

Posted by Garth on 01/29/15 at 02:20 PM ET

Which is why Yandle still plays for the yotes when the team is probably better poised to be a good team in 3-5 years than trying to do anything short term.

Why not Smith, Sproul, and a pick?

Because there’s some rule somewhere that says each NHL team has to have at least one good player and the yotes would be violating that constraint by trading Yandle for Smith.  All kidding aside, there will likely be enough teams looking for a Yandle type player by the time the trade deadline comes around that if the coyotes really want to make a trade they can likely get a player with a fair bit more potential than Smith or Sproul along with a couple of good picks.  Also I imagine KH is a bit hesitant to get rid of one of the better RHD in the system.

Its all moot anyways, I doubt the Wings will see any trade action during the season.

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/15 at 02:31 PM ET

Garth, I am guessing that Pulkkinen is looked at as the guy for a couple reasons. First, they’ve already got two undersized scorers and neither guy is particularly good at defense (Tatar and Nyquist). Pulkkinen is a similar player (though he’s obviously a righty).

Second, with Mantha on the come up, the roster still needs to maintain a balance. Jurco is a more versatile - he can dig along the boards, he has great hands and upside to be offensively dynamic, and he’s a big body. At some point, guys like Drew Miller and Joakim Andersson lose their spot on the bench. But you can’t replace Miller with Mantha and Andersson with Pulkkinen. Who kills penalties and who is the patented “digger” or “wall guy/workhorse” on the lines? The more you line up snipers, the more imbalanced your lineup gets.

My impression is that Jurco is a Babcock guy. I think he has the capability to do stuff that Pulkkinen doesn’t do. He’s more versatile. Is it unreasonable to think Jurco couldn’t be a 50 point scorer and also be capable of playing on the PK or the PP? That’s why I think Jurco is more valuable and why I think the team would rather trade Pulkkinen. That said, I think the team would be selling Jurco as a premium asset in any trade, should his name come up.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/29/15 at 02:32 PM ET

When is the last time the Wings even made a meaningful trade?  Not sure the Legwand one counts.

Posted by neffernin on 01/29/15 at 02:33 PM ET

True, but the exact same can be said for Pulkkinen.  And he’s a righty.  And he has that heavy shot that nobody else has.

Not sure the Legwand one counts.

I’d say it counts, but I’m not sure it’s something one would want to point at and say “he should do more trades like that”.

Posted by Garth on 01/29/15 at 02:50 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Coyotes would want a deal to blow them away and I’m not sure the Wings are in a place where they should be blowing away rebuilding teams. They have enough pieces that they can afford to “spend” some assets (and to the point where they probably should be doing so), but a deal for Yandle seems more than just “spending”.

If the timeline for the Coyotes is really 2-3 years, then you’ve got to figure they’ve got a decent shot of retaining Yandle when his contract is up. The team has the youth, they have him and OEL on the back end, and they have an actual future. Does Yandle want to leave just before that?  Maybe. I don’t know.

The thing about the Jurco vs. Pulkkinen comparisons is that while Pulkkinen is probably a better fit for what the Wings need right this moment, Jurco projects way better. Part of Jurco’s struggles have been the fact that they’re trying to develop him like Datsyuk backwards. He’s got the hands, but they’ve had him focusing on using his size first and dangling second. As he gets comfortable with that, he should end up as a player with a shot slightly below what Pulkkinen brings, but the ability to make his own space and get to pucks in dirty areas significantly higher.

Jurco is also a year younger than Pulkkinen.

I’d get used to either of them being traded away for a piece, but I do think that substituting Jurco for Pulkky is a fairly decent-sized sweetener to the Wings’ portion of the trade pot.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/29/15 at 03:10 PM ET