That’s It - Back To Winnipeg!

Well what do you know, KK has a Jets blogger quicker than the official Jets logo has been released.

Help me welcome Ben MacPhee-Sigurdson to the KK family.

-Paul

Well, hi there – my name’s Ben MacPhee-Sigurdson, and I’m thrilled to be your newly-appointed Winnipeg Jets blogger here at Kukla’s Korner. Yes, the NHL is back in Winnipeg, with a new arena and owners, but with the old team’s name. Should I take my Hawerchuk jersey in and have his name replaced with Bryan Little’s? I’m a bit confused here.

For better or for worse (probably worse), I’ve decided to call my little corner of the Kukla’s Korner blogosphere Benny and the Jets. It’s horribly corny, I know – especially if, like me, you have memories/nightmares of Benny, the old Jets mascot. What was Benny anyways? Expect a similarly corny banner graphic to go with my corny blog title in due time. Hopefully I’ll be able to incorporate the new Jets logo/colours in there somehow.

I went to countless Jets games in the ‘80s and ‘90s, and like most kids my age in the ‘Peg idolized our stars despite their lackluster performance in the playoffs (if/when they managed to sneak in). At every bone-chilling outdoor scrimmage I always angled to be Dale Hawerchuk, and I forever hated the Edmonton Oilers for continuously destroying the Jets in the playoffs.

And no, I wasn’t one of the lucky ones to get Jets season tickets – sadly, I’m number 2036 of 3479 on the season ticket waiting list. I’m sure my great-grandchildren will reap the benefits of my commitment.

About me – I got my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in English at the University of Winnipeg and Manitoba (respectively) and have worked in writing and communications for years. I just recently ditched my day job as a copywriter to work for myself, doing freelance writing and editing in a variety of capacities. I actually write a lot about wine – I’m the weekly wine columnist/blogger for the Winnipeg Free Press, and am a contributor/judge/tasting panel member of Wine Access, one of Canada’s foremost wine mags.

I’ve always wanted to write about hockey, but when the Jets left in 1996, I latched on to the Montreal Canadiens, and Habs writers aren’t exactly in short supply. Yeah, Habs + wine = insert your own jokes here. Anyway, when KK put out the call for bloggers recently, I jumped at the chance to write about the Jets.

So now I’m in the process of trying to figure out where I stand on the Winnipeg Jets v2.0. This blog will be an attempt to both keep you posted on the goings-on of the former Atlanta Thrashers, as well as observations about how Winnipeg is grappling with the return of the NHL. We may be the smallest market in the league, but the excitement about the Winnipeg Jets has been nothing short of electric.

I think I have thick enough skin to withstand the copious ribbing I’m sure to take as the resident Winnipeg Jets blogger - and yes, despite what Ilya Bryzgalov says, we do have parks here. I hope to engage in some meaningful dialogue about the Jets, and provide some insight into what it’s like to have a team back in our city. We’re all pretty excited. Go Jets go!

Oh yeah, I’m on Twitter: @bensigurdson

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, Ben MacPhee-Sigurdson, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

Welcome aboard rookie.  =)

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 07/21/11 at 04:20 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m total support of this!

Welcome to KK Ben!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/21/11 at 04:28 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I will second bezukov’s support. Well done.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 07/21/11 at 04:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You should have held out on releasing the title of your blog until a certain amount of people came to welcome you aboard KK.  wink

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/21/11 at 04:30 PM ET

Ben, welcome, love the ‘Peg - friendliest people in the world.  By the way, have you seen Candy and Ronnie yet?  And if you’re not wearing electric boots and a mohair suit in any pictures we see of you, we’ll be disappointed.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 07/21/11 at 04:32 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Hi Ben, welcome!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 07/21/11 at 04:35 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Welcome aboard!

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/21/11 at 04:41 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Welcome Ben!

But I have to tell you, when I lived in the Peg and went to Jets games, I used to cover my ears when they’d play “Benny and the Jets” as Benny came strolling out.

I loathed it! Hopefully they don’t reprise that part of their history. Truly horrible! smile

Posted by Hank1974 on 07/21/11 at 04:45 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Good to have you and the Peg aboard. Hope your team comes up with a great logo and manages to eventually reclaim some of its old glory on the ice, particularly those latter WHA seasons with Bobby, Ulf and Anders.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/21/11 at 04:47 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

Sweet!  Welcome!

Posted by Zaze on 07/21/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Great Simpsons reference to start the blog!

Posted by kk-downing on 07/21/11 at 05:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Technically Hank it’s Phoenix’s history

Welcome aboard Benjiman

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/21/11 at 05:15 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I Love Elton John !! & welcome to KK’s & welcome back to the NHL

Posted by Evilpens on 07/21/11 at 05:23 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Benny and the Jets has got to be the greatest hockey blog name of all time. Awesome.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 07/21/11 at 05:39 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome Ben, and I too love the name you have chosen for your blog.  I really look forward to reading about the “new” Jets and learning a bit about Winnipeg.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/21/11 at 06:13 PM ET

Welcome Sig! The Peg’s best years are ahead of them!

Posted by Jesters Dead on 07/21/11 at 06:17 PM ET

Newbs buy the beer!

Welcome aboard, Ben.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/21/11 at 07:02 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

Welcome to the club.  Looking forward to reading a Winnipeg Jets blog.  Should be a fun season.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 07/21/11 at 07:19 PM ET

Welcome to KK, sir. I shall enjoy reading your entries on the exploits of the Jets 2.0.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/21/11 at 08:34 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Välkommen, Ben !

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 07/21/11 at 08:42 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Welcome to Red W err.. Kukla’s Korner and having much success. wink

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/21/11 at 08:50 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Welcome to KK.

Any update on the logo and threads?  This wait is getting a bit silly…

Posted by Primis on 07/21/11 at 11:47 PM ET

Welcome aboard, Ben! Looking forward to reading your work!

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 07/22/11 at 12:25 AM ET

BMS's avatar

Thanks for the comments, everyone - I really appreciate the welcome and hope I can come through on all things Jets for you.

Primis, there’s been lots of speculation - some folks out there are saying the logo could come this week/early next week, with jerseys closer to training camp. There’s been a lot of speculation on colours as well, with many pointing to a Tampa Bay Lightning-ish colour scheme with a bit of red. Overall, True North has been pretty tight-lipped. I’m with you - I just want to see the freaking logo already!

Hank1974, if my first name wasn’t Ben there’s no way I could bear calling the blog Benny and the Jets. In this case, though, it seemed like the right move. I’m right with you on the song - my memories of Benny coming out to that song still haunt me every time I hear the Elton John song.

Posted by BMS from Winnipeg on 07/22/11 at 12:36 AM ET