Team USA Roster Announced

from USA Hockey,

USA Hockey announced today the 25 players that will make up its 2014 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team here today as part of the festivities at the 2014 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. The announcement was made at Michigan Stadium before a world-record crowd and also broadcast live on NBC Sports in the United States.

The roster includes 13 Olympians, a stark contrast to four years ago when the silver medal-winning 2010 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team featured just three players with Olympic experience. Among those selected with an Olympic pedigree are goaltenders Ryan Miller (East Lansing, Mich./Buffalo Sabres), who was the MVP of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games hockey tournament and Patrick Kane (Buffalo, N.Y./Chicago Blackhawks), the reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner who is currently second in the NHL scoring race with 23-30--53.

continued and full roster here...

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+usa

Comments

shazam88's avatar

Extremely surprised that Ryan was left off the roster.

The others…not so much.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/01/14 at 06:48 PM ET

Handle bothers me more than the others. He is an offensive stud on a team that needs offense. His defense has improved. I would have him before Fowler. I like that the USA is good enough to have a controversy.

Posted by timbits on 01/01/14 at 07:17 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Same here shazam88.
In my mind, Ryan is a far better player than half the forwards on that team, mainly Brown, Pacioretty, Oshie, Stepan and Callahan to name a few.

Sounds like Team USA is following Team Canada’s strategy of building a team like an NHL playoff team.

I’ve always felt you take your 12 most talented forwards.  There isn’t a Canadian or American player that would take shifts off or accept a lesser role to represent their country.

Team Canada took an “NHL” team to Nagano and how did that work out?
I sure loved seeing guys like Rob Zamuner and Trevor Linden out there back in ‘98.
That was a joke.
Just like keeping Ryan off this roster is.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/01/14 at 07:50 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

^^ Hank, so the Burnside article that Paul posted actually goes into some detail about Ryan’s status and the way that he was perceived. Interersting…I certainly couldn’t stand him when he was on the Ducks but I have to say, I always had a lot more respect for him than do some of these talent evaluators.

Bobby Ryan was also in Vancouver and has been the most consistent of U.S.-born scorers, having tallied 30 or more goals four times for Anaheim before being dealt to Ottawa in the offseason. And yet there is surprising resistance to simply penciling him into a spot on the wing.

The issue is where he fits. If he’s not a top-six forward, his skating doesn’t really lend itself to him being a third-line checker. He cannot kill penalties, and while in Anaheim, he was not on the team’s top power-play unit.

“I think he’s sleepy. I think he skates sleepy,” offers one member of the selection committee.

Poile asks for a show of hands: “Are guys nervous about Bobby Ryan?” A flurry of hands go up in the air.

“That’s a lot of guys,” Poile notes.

And so Ryan, unbeknownst to him, finds himself in a battle for a place on The Board with wingers like Max Pacioretty, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler and T.J. Oshie before Ryan has set one skate on the ice.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/01/14 at 08:00 PM ET

I’m not so sure about that. Forget Stepan for a minute (plays a different position than the others).

Of the rest of the guys you named, Ryan is the worst skater by about a mile. On an NHL rink, Ryan’s hands would make up for that, but on the bigger ice, skating’s kind of a much bigger deal. The difference in hands between Ryan and, say, Oshie, is much closer than the difference in mobility.

Every Olympic year a team like Switzerland or Norway threatens upsets in games they have no business competing in with a bunch of no-names on the roster. Way they do that is they simply take the 25 best skaters they have. Not the best players. The best skaters.

So you have guys like Patrik Thoreson burning past a slug like Nash while he gasps on Thoreson’s dust. Against a teams assembled that way, Ryan is the biggest problem of anyone whose name came up at forward in the Burnside article—other than Stepan, who is not competing for the same roster spot as Ryan.

Ryan not being on the roster makes sense to me. Brooks Orpik not being excluded on the same count makes none, however.

Posted by larry on 01/02/14 at 01:43 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

shazam88, very interesting. Thanks for that extra insight.

I’m just a regular joe (with a regular job), so I’m aware that these hockey minds know better than me.
I just find it hard to fathom that there isn’t a place on that team for arguably the most consistent scoring winger, outside of Kane and Kessel.

I wonder if his past, or his laid-back attitude hurt him more than his play on the ice?

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/02/14 at 08:24 AM ET