Team USA Needs Ryan Miller In Net

from Bob Kravitz of USA TODAY,

It is hockey's most elemental truism: In a short series like the playoffs or the Olympics, it's all about goaltending, just like it's all about quarterbacking in the National Football League.

Which is why U.S. men's hockey coach Dan Bylsma needs to make the right decision and turn to veteran and former Olympic hero Ryan Miller, and not Jonathan Quick, as his primary goaltender in these Olympics.

Now, both figure to play in the preliminary round, which begins for the U.S. Thursday when it plays Slovakia. But when the tournament reaches critical mass later next week, Bylsma needs to turn to Miller, who will attempt to reprise his role from the silver-medal run in Vancouver.

continued

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+usa

Comments

pautna's avatar

“Quick, basically, could steal this series just as easily as he could throw it away.” Uh, what? All this dude can reference is a slow start and makes that statement? I’ve watched Quick pretty much every game he’s played and he’s never thrown away anything. Does he have bad nights or moments? Sure, every human does, but come on. I don’t think this guy has seen Quick play very much. I think he’s tucked in his bed snoozing when he plays, so he really shouldn’t be commenting on something he obviously doesn’t know enough about.

With that said, as an American I want the best goalie in goal whether it’s Quick or Miller and maybe we should wait to see who’s playing better right now. Not FOUR years ago or even the beginning of the season. Which is why I’m a little unnerved that Dan has already picked one.

GO USA GO!!

Posted by pautna on 02/10/14 at 10:17 PM ET

I agree, go with the hot goalie. One thing we know about Bylsma is he has proven he can’t manage the Penguin goalies. Quick has won a Cup, and an MVP. Miller hasn’t won anything.

Posted by timbits on 02/10/14 at 10:34 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

well its arguable that the teams quick has played for had way more talent than millers team.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 02/11/14 at 02:39 AM ET

did TPSH write this article? geee-sus, you’d think that this guy has never seen Quick play before. I’m not saying that Miller isn’t also a great goalie, but when your team averages less than 2 goals a game and is still in the playoff picture, I suspect it has something to do with the goalie.

Posted by DAG on 02/11/14 at 10:18 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Miller plays basically with no one in front of him. Quick is part of a team.

If Ryan Miller played for a real team instead of the also-rans in Buffalo, he’d be top notch for sure. Just watch him play sometime. Sure, he has awful nights, but anyone would in that system.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/11/14 at 11:16 AM ET

Bill from GR's avatar

I’m just thankful/relieved that Howard is NOT part of the equation.

Posted by Bill from GR on 02/11/14 at 12:15 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Miller hasn’t won anything.

Posted by timbits on 02/10/14 at 10:34 PM ET

Well, a silver medal.

Miller had a .927 SV% in January and .923 in February, while Quick was .925 in January and .882 in February.  February’s numbers are too small a sample size to really put much weight in Quick’s numbers, so you could say they were dead even in January.

But then you consider the different teams they play for, and Buffalo is clearly much worse.

I’m just glad it isn’t my decision on who to start.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/11/14 at 02:45 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

When Miller ends up in Minnesota with every other profile free agent (haha), you’ll see that he can play goaltender very well. He’s the only person on that team who isn’t a scrub now that Vanek is on the island.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/12/14 at 11:17 AM ET