Team USA Falls To Team Slovenia In OT

GANGNEUNG, South Korea — Brian O'Neill (Yardley, Pa.) and Jordan Greenway (Canton, N.Y.) each netted goals but the U.S. Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team fell to Slovenia in overtime, 3-2, here tonight in its opening game at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games at the Kwandong Hockey Centre.

"I thought we played two great periods," said Tony Granato, head coach of the 2018 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team. “We were on our heels in the third at times and they took advantage. Give them credit. All-in-all, I liked the way we played. We’ve got a terrific group and we’ll be ready to play Slovakia."

The U.S. Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team (0-0-1-0/W-OTW-OTL-L) continues preliminary round play against Slovakia on Friday (Feb. 16) at 12:10 p.m. local time, making it a 10:10 p.m. ET puck drop on Thursday (Feb. 15) in the U.S. That contest will be televised live on CNBC in addition to being streamed on NBCOlympics.com.

For the complete game recap, click here.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+slovenia, team+usa

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

Former Wings Draft Pick, Jan Mursak scored the tying & winning goals. Kenny, start kicking some tires….. cheese

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/14/18 at 11:19 AM ET

My understanding first 3 games mean absolutely nothing

Posted by VPalmer on 02/14/18 at 12:33 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

If only we had some NHL players on the team…..

“I thought we played two great periods,”

I haven’t seen the game or highlights, but generally teams like Slovenia don’t beat a top team by scoring 3 goals.  They win by playing incredible defense to give up 0 or 1 goals, and getting lucky by scoring one or two goals on a breakaway or deflection.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/14/18 at 01:51 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

NHL Players or not, let’s call this what it is.  Freaking embarassing.  I don’t care if it’s the first, second, or fifth game of the tournament - losing to Slovenia is disgraceful.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/14/18 at 01:52 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

I came across this (The American Dream on Thin Ice) in The Atlantic earlier today.
Apologies if it’s a duplicate. I didn’t see it if it’s been previous posted.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 02/14/18 at 03:03 PM ET

My understanding first 3 games mean absolutely nothing

Posted by VPalmer on 02/14/18 at 12:33 PM ET

Nobody gets eliminated in the preliminaries, they’re playing for seeding & a first-round bye in the tournament.

Posted by EthrDemon on 02/14/18 at 03:12 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for the link Trip, my time is kind of limited these days and I appreciate any link anyone feels is worthwhile to post them.

I will get more involved as the tourney progresses but my main focus is on the NHL and the approaching trade deadline.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 03:15 PM ET

they’re playing for seeding & a first-round bye in the tournament.
Posted by EthrDemon on 02/14/18 at 03:12 PM ET

So those games kind of mean a little something….

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/14/18 at 04:48 PM ET