Team Finland Defeats Team Canada 5-1 In WJC Semifinal Game

It will be Finland against Sweden in the WJC Gold Medal game Sunday at 1:00pm ET.

Canada will play Russia at 9:00am for the bronze medal.

Both games will be on the NHL Network US and TSN.

added 4:54pm, Watch the highlights below...

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: team+canada, team+finland

Comments

SK77's avatar

Any idea if these games will be streaming in the USA, or was that something only available through nhl.com for the Team USA games?

Posted by SK77 on 01/04/14 at 04:22 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Canada went into the 3rd period down 3-1.  Only had 3 shots in the 3rd.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/04/14 at 04:23 PM ET

Paul's avatar

sk, No legal stream for the games today or tomorrow, at least in the States.  Not sure if TSN is streaming in Canada.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/04/14 at 04:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If you missed the game, IIHF.com has a quick analysis.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/04/14 at 04:28 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

3 shots in the 3rd?  Did the leafs play in that game?

Posted by mmuskrat on 01/04/14 at 04:30 PM ET

Ouch.  A beatdown is what that is.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/04/14 at 06:32 PM ET

SK77's avatar

More like a grinddown, than a beatdown. Final score was more like 3-1, and Finland totally deserved the win, but the 4th goal on the penalty shot was a little BS due to swapping shooters due to “injury” and the 5th goal was an empty netter.

Posted by SK77 on 01/04/14 at 06:38 PM ET

pautna's avatar

My feelings toward the outcome of this game are best expressed via this short clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA

Posted by pautna on 01/04/14 at 06:54 PM ET

I’ve watched all the games on the NHL network and I have some concerns of Mantha’s urgency, although he seems to be on the ice when scoring occurs.  I think he’s at 5 Goals and six assists.  I would like to ascertain his plus/minus numbers which I think is good.  Could anyone help as to where to find that stat.  Thank you.

Posted by guy on 01/05/14 at 12:49 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Guy, Manha was +6 with 2ppg and 2 gwg, per the world junior website.

What do are your concerns exactly?  Just curious - I was unable to watch him the whole tournament.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/05/14 at 11:18 AM ET

Guy, Manha was +6 with 2ppg and 2 gwg, per the world junior website.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/05/14 at 10:18 A
First, He has a long easy stride and maybe it makes me feel like he’s not pushing himself.  Second he doesn’t hit hard, plays soft.  He is definitely a work in progress.  Last 2 losing games he seemed to play harder, had some good hits.  He played on the power play all through the games, but played on the right point.  This surprised me because they claimed he didn’t have much defense to his game.  That was one of the reasons he was on the bubble prior to the start.  His passes are spot on, a little soft.  I think he has good hockey sense.  Just my opinions which are not worth much these days.

Posted by guy on 01/05/14 at 01:59 PM ET