Tampa/Ottawa Trade

TAMPA BAY – The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded defenseman Braydon Coburn, forward Cedric Paquette and their second-round pick in 2022 to the Ottawa Senators in exchange for the rights to forward Marian Gaborik and goaltender Anders Nilsson, vice president and general manager Julien BriseBois announced.  Both Gaborik and Nilsson will be placed on long-term injury reserve and will not play this season.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Glad Detroit isn’t involved in this. Let’s keep it that way, Mr. Y.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 12/27/20 at 08:27 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Gaborik?  Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a very long time…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 12/27/20 at 10:46 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Every time I hear Gaborik I think of Hasek sending him airborne.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/28/20 at 12:20 AM ET

Is it possible that Ottawa made a good deal?  They might actually be climbing out of the pit they’ve been in.  Of course Melnyk will probably come along and do something to boot them back in just as they begin to see daylight.

Posted by dwgs on 12/28/20 at 08:51 AM ET

One has to ask why Detroit and Tampa couldn’t complete a similar trade involving Zetterberg? Was it that Detroit didn’t want to take on players like Coburn and Pacquette? Even though Coburn has a NTC, both could have been moved at the trade deadline.

While I don’t blame Yzerman for passing on it, I do think Ottawa did pretty well on this deal.

Posted by evileye on 12/28/20 at 09:48 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by evileye on 12/28/20 at 09:48 AM ET

I disagree, glad Yzerman took no interest in this deal.  I don’t even think Coburn played for Tampa in their 7 d rotation, and Paquette is just a 4th line energy guy.  Both of those types of players were available cheap as UFAs and a comparable is probably still out there, they could’ve just signed them. Yzerman actually signed better value in the UFA market IMO.

Really Ottawa traded their space for a 2nd rounder, which for Tampa will be at the back end of the 2nd almost a 3rd.

Tampa was able to flip a guy who didn’t play for them, and a 4th liner to fix their cap issue, lose no real prospect or draft pick.

Clear winner IMO: BriseBois

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/28/20 at 10:26 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

Yeah, I’m on Murray’s side of this evaluation.  TBL’s 2021/2nd is not a whole lot of incentive for taking on those players.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 12/28/20 at 01:37 PM ET

Does one?

Yzerman got a second for taking on Staal’s contract.

Dorion got a second for taking on Coburn and Paquette PLUS helping TB out by sending them two LTIR players to help their cap crunch.

I, for one, am over the moon that Yzerman isn’t stockpiling mediocre players.

Thia is the type of deal that Ken Holland would’ve made, thinking he was fleecing BriseBois out of the 59th (approx.) pick in the draft.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 12/28/20 at 07:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

“Every time I hear Gaborik I think of Hasek sending him airborne”. Funny as I was at that game.  LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 12/28/20 at 08:04 PM ET

Coburn and Paquette are probably too many
extra veteran players at this point for this roster.

It’s conceivable I guess to imagine not signing
Merrill or Stecher or keeping Gagne and waiting many weeks for the potential to add two more players for a lesser pick than in the Staal deal.,

Coburn and especially Paquette might be flippable.
But the players we signed are mostly likely more so.
And they are also of more value in aiding Detroit’s younger players
given where the rebuild is.

I think Coburn was injured for at least part of the playoffs for Tampa
but even so it looked like both Bogosian and Schenn had passed him
in the rotation.

One thing is for sure: Ottawa is filling out their roster with a lot of gritty players.

Posted by lefty.30 on 12/28/20 at 08:12 PM ET

d ca's avatar

I could care less about Coburn and Paquette….but lets not thumb our noses at a pick in the later part of the 2nd. Plenty of good hockey players come from there or after that round. The best examples are Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson, Tyler Bertuzzi, & Anthony Cirell.

And still other decent guys like: Jake Guentzel, Anthony Duclair, Adam Fox, Victor Mete, Jesper Bratt, Conor Garland, Christian Dvorak, Oskar Lindblom, Kevin Labanc, Victor Olofsson, Ondrej Kase, and who here could forget Mattias Janmark.

Detroit is sitting on approx 9.54M in cap space for the year. Vegas is over the cap by 975k.

Take on Marc-Andre Fleury and a 1st rounder (in the late 20’s most likely) and retain 50% of Bernier going the other way. Vegas gets cap space and has a quality backup still.

Detroit gets a 1A goalie with only 2 years left at 7M (6.5M & 6M actual salary). Doesn’t interfere with Detroit’s ability to retain their own. Doesn’t affect the rebuild spending timeline. They get another draft pick that has a solid chance of being a middle six player.

Toronto is 1.04M above the cap….and so on and so on.

9.54M should be weaponized like the Staal trade. It’s time and retain 50% on some guys like Helm/Glendening/Biega and they become valuable to cap pressed teams.

If Stevie sits on the extra cap room this year, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

Posted by d ca on 12/28/20 at 11:32 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

No kucherov, short year, sh*t happens, covid. TB could have a down year; all it takes is one injury. Yzerman wants more picks, so why not?

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/29/20 at 04:44 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by d ca on 12/28/20 at 11:32 PM ET

I’ve been on that train since the offseason started, that said, I’m glad he didn’t do this deal, the market is whatever a GM is willing to take, Ottawa was willing to deal I guess.

I like the idea of a three way trade with Washington for MAF with the wings retaining enough salary to make it work for the Caps.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 12/29/20 at 09:00 AM ET

Wasn’t there a rule that LTIR is active only during the season and that teams can be 10% over the cap during the offseason?

Posted by Davor on 12/29/20 at 01:06 PM ET