Talking Tim Thomas

from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,

The question was never whether Thomas HAD the right to skip the White House visit, but SHOULD he simply have stifled his personal interests for the betterment of a team celebrating their win one last time. Many will applaud the B’s goaltender for damning the torpedoes and simply doing what he felt was right in his world view. That is the kind of stand-alone bravery that can foster change in times when it’s needed.

But here’s one suggestion: why not announce Thomas’ intentions prior to the visit in order to defuse the situation and take the heat out of it on Monday afternoon. Thomas is wonderful at stopping pucks in tense situations and he’s one of the most humble athletes you’ll ever come across.

But he’s not a brilliant PR strategist and there seems to have been no notion of getting out ahead of the train wreck that steamed into the East Wing of the White House Monday afternoon.

from Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe,

Shabby. Immature. Unprofessional. Self-centered. Bush league. Need I go on? All that and more applies to what Thomas did, on a day when Cup teammates Mark Recchi (now retired), Shane Hnidy (a radio guy these days in Winnipeg), and Tomas Kaberle (a member of some Original Six team in Canada), all gladly joined the red-white-blue-black-and-gold hugfest at the White House.

Thomas needed to be there in solidarity, and celebration, with his team. It was the same government yesterday, and will be today, that protected his country, his security, his family, and his right to make $5 million a year, all last season. In his absence, he stole his teammates’ spotlight. Win as a team. Lose as a team. And when asked to stand up and take a bow, then stand up there and suffer if need be, even if you don’t like the setting, the host, or any of the political trappings and tenets that come with it.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tim+thomas

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Jason….do you enjoy an 8 hour workday, with overtime for extra?
Don’t thank those bad unions, they tried to take it away from you.  It was the employers who came up with this, as a gift.  You know, back when everyday was a carnival and every lunch was free?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 04:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

bezukov: What union are you a member of??

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 02:13 PM ET

I should be so lucky…

—————————————————————————-

I think you and realmk better start catching up with your friend.  He’s getting a lead on you.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/24/12 at 04:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

VAHockeyFan: Calling someone a teabagger isn’t having a opposing view. It’s a derogatory comment meant to minimalize the tea party movement by liberals. No more no less.

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 02:12 PM ET

————-

bezukov: What union are you a member of??

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 02:13 PM ET

“For ‘tis the sport to have the engineer,
Hoist with his own petard:”

~Hamlet, Act 3, Scene IV.

——————————————————————————————————

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/24/12 at 02:24 PM ET

I wouldn’t waste the effort tux.  Its plain that this fellow hasn’t thought much with his feet in other people’s shoes.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/24/12 at 04:43 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt

Not that it matters but I’m a salaried employee. I’m IT professional which required not only a skill set but years of education along with continued education. Unions had there place 60 years ago but that day is GONE.

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 04:50 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Well Jason, at least that makes sense.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 05:05 PM ET

Also an IT professional, forced to be in a union, don’t even get me started on that topic. I love that my manditory dues go to liberals without so much as a say from members.

I also love that folks like bezukov have no issue with demonizing the Tea Party with labels like “teabaggers” yet so easily get spun up when a comment is made about their own affiliations. Both sides do it. It’s not exclusive to one or the other. Both parties lie and play political games. Heck Obama still blames Bush 3+ years into his term for things, when he made some of the same mistakes, Bush did. Failed stimulus for an example.

The reality is, both parties are driving us off the edge of the cliff, Libs just have the pedal to the floor in doing so.

Posted by Realmk from Boston on 01/24/12 at 05:06 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt I don’t have a problem with the union membership it’s the people who run the unions and the game the games they play.

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 05:26 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’ve got a Masters Degree, a white collar job and I’m a member of two unions. Your caricature of unions and skill levels is pretty silly.

BTW - I used to be in the IT field as a sys engineer. I left it in part because I was annoyed with silly people who thought they were smart because they could fix problems with a reboot.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/12 at 05:30 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Union dues cannot go for political campaigns.

If you have evidence of this happening, file a lawsuit. Otherwise, you look silly ranting about something that isn’t happening.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/12 at 05:35 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Nota bene:  I haven’t said one word about the Tea Party in our discussion(s).

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 03:26 PM ET

Your comment to tuxedo doesn’t really bear out in light of what you said to me a little bit ago.  I suppose Rhetoric 101 wasn’t part of that lengthy education eh?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/24/12 at 05:48 PM ET

bezukov: Why because i asked him what Union he was in? Generally union members have a liberal attitude.  that doesn’t mean I have a problem with them.

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 06:09 PM ET

calquake's avatar

bezukov: What union are you a member of??

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 02:13 PM ET

And just how is your statement any different?

Posted by calquake on 01/24/12 at 06:27 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Not convincing Jason…..getting a bit twisted up.

Bezukov….that would be a liberal education right?  No, trust these guys, only a technical education has any value.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 06:28 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

bezukov: Why because i asked him what Union he was in?

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 04:09 PM ET

Yes and no.  Go back and read your own words a little more carefully.

You’re a fan of having it both ways.  Aren’t you?  In one breath you made an insinuation about my politics with your question about my union status, having already made several negative comments about liberals.  Then in another breath you say you don’t have a problem with union workers.  Your first remarks aren’t consistent with the latter ones.

A major component of a cogent opinion or argument is consistency.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/24/12 at 06:40 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Not convincing Jason…..getting a bit twisted up.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from Victoria on 01/24/12 at 04:28 PM ET

Obviously, lol.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/24/12 at 06:41 PM ET

No more or less the union membership is brain washed. I have many friends who are union members. They make the most ridiculous statements about management yet have no problem doing the same things or worse. Most of which is justified by union leaders.

I love how the attack of the tea party has been swept under the rug by the libtards.

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 07:05 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

“I have many friends who….............make the most ridiculous statements”.

Okay, then.  If you are going to play your trump card.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 07:07 PM ET

This is ridiculous! Maybe I’m just an old lady (34 years) but I guarantee if any President of the United States wanted to shake my hand for anything (even some little hockey game, because in the real world hockey isn’t going to feed or help anyone) I would proudly comply. Not because I agree with their policy, not because I support their position but because the President of the United States deserves our respect.

Mr. Thomas is just another example of those around us who believes they are more important than they are. If all you really want is to adhere to your beliefs, I challenge you to use your status as an athlete to do good, perhaps run for office yourself. Get out there and make a difference.

No, I am not some crazy liberal. I am simply a citizen who is greatly concerned about the aggrandizing of ones position in the world and the lack of respect of one another. Unfortunately the basic idea of treating one another politely has been swept away.

I know I will be berated for this post but that justifies my position-it is impossible to politely express a well thought out opinion without being attacked. I probably would be better off by calling Mr. Thomas names.

Posted by areyoukiddingme from Omaha, NE on 01/24/12 at 07:12 PM ET

I wonder what Tim Thomas thinks of his union?

Posted by jwad on 01/24/12 at 07:17 PM ET

Can we drop the high-level political discourse and go back to hating each other because of our favorite NHL teams?

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 01/24/12 at 07:22 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

areyoukddingme…..............Good for you.  I guess everyone should do what you would do.  Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner.  This argument has been completely sewed up by the lady from Nebraska.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 07:25 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

areyoukidding…...
Would it be possible for HIS GLORIOUSNESS THE GRAND PRESIDENT OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PLACE ON EARTH to do something that would cost him your respect, or is it as absolute as you make it sound?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 07:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Now that’s just crazy talk lady. grin  What if we actually had to back up our words by action instead of bloviating on the internet.?  Civility and good taste have become casualties of modern technology.

Posted by calquake on 01/24/12 at 07:44 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I count 6 non-sequitors in that post…...............????????

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/24/12 at 08:09 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Jason on 01/24/12 at 05:05 PM ET

I’m guessing you have a lot of black friends as well?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/24/12 at 10:21 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m guessing you have a lot of black friends as well?

And there is. Once the “tea bagger” slander has run its course, the left always drags out the race card. And all of this slander from Obama’s supporters have absolutely nothing to do with what Thomas did and said. His action was completely non-partisan.

I don’t care whether you think Obama or Rush (or that douche Beck) is your hero, try to concentrate on what someone actually says once in a while. It’ll go a long ways towards preventing you from sounding like a complete ass.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/25/12 at 01:38 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 01/24/12 at 11:38 PM ET

I think you missed the barb of my joke sir.  Jason, or whatever he calls himself, made a comment about his “many union friends” in order to draw a generalization about union members being liberals.

I only made my comment to liken him to the same kind of (white) people who refer to their “black friends” in order to make a generalized comment about black people that normally wouldn’t have traffic in a given conversation, without some artificial authority to do so.  Therefore, I hope you’ll agree that no fair minded person would say I was pulling the “race card”... especially since I’m a middle class white dude.

So as two long time users of this site, who have an otherwise apolitical relationship…  I hope we can call it even, and that next time you’ll ask me to clarify before you make an assumption about my opinions or my motives for expressing them.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 03:15 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 01/24/12 at 11:38 PM ET

And one more thing… I’ve offered you no offense or insult.  Is there any reason why you and I needed to head down that road sir?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 03:30 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I got what you were saying, bezukov. I thought it was well played. Whenever anyone tries to negate their partisanship by claiming to have “friends” of the opposite persuasion, it rings as hollow as the example you used.

No race card was played here. But it is interesting that the mere mention of race gets some people uptight and reactionary.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/25/12 at 09:38 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/25/12 at 07:38 AM ET

You did a better job of clearing my point up.  Thanks.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 11:01 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Being a “middle class white dude” has never stopped anyone from playing the race card, but I get what you were saying now. The subtlety of it escaped me at the time. My apologies.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/25/12 at 01:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios on 01/25/12 at 11:33 AM ET

Its all good my man.  LGRW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 01:39 PM ET