Taking A Gamble

from Lyle Richardson of Spector's Hockey,

Here’s my listing of ten NHL players who are risky gambles via trade or free agency.

R.J. Umberger: His performance has declined over the past couple of years and he was a healthy scratch late in the season. He also has three more years at $4.6 million per left on his contract. Unless the Blue Jackets pick up half of that, he’s a risky acquisition.

David Legwand: Another player whose stock definitely declined following the trade deadline. Though he tallied a combined 51 points this season with the Predators and Red Wings, he went pointless in the playoffs and was a fourth-line winger by the time the Wings were bounced from the first round. He’s not worth over $5 million annually.

eight more names listed...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I think Legwand is pretty significant risk at $5M+, but I also think that he is of the notiont that he’s worth $5M+ he’s probably going to be disabused of that fairly quickly.

I hope I used disabused correctly.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/14 at 10:52 AM ET

awould's avatar

You did.

But the thing is, his actual salary this past season was only $3.5MM. Not sure why he thinks he’d get a $1.5MM raise for playing worser.

I hope I used worser correctly.

Posted by awould on 06/19/14 at 11:34 AM ET

You did.

Whew.

And yeah, I’m curious if he actually thinks he’s worth that much (or if anyone is suggesting he is) or if Spector just chose a nice round number that’s a bit of a raise over his previous cap hit.

I hope I used worser correctly.

Yep, you done did.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/14 at 11:52 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Alternate title: “Philadelphia Flyers Offseason Wishlist”

Posted by Savage Henry on 06/19/14 at 11:57 AM ET

awould's avatar

Alternate title: “Philadelphia Flyers Offseason Wishlist”

Posted by Savage Henry on 06/19/14 at 11:57 AM ET

Unless the Islanders get them first.

Posted by awould on 06/19/14 at 12:52 PM ET