Sutton Suspended 5 Games

NEW YORK (November 1, 2011) – Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton has been suspended, without pay, for five games for delivering an illegal hit to the head of Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog during NHL Game No. 138 Friday night in Denver, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Sutton will forfeit $57,432.45. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 3:23 of the third period. Sutton was assessed a minor penalty for elbowing.

Sutton missed Sunday’s game vs. St. Louis and will miss games Nov. 3 at Los Angeles, Nov. 5 at Phoenix, Nov. 8 at Montreal and Nov. 10 at Boston. He will be eligible to return Nov. 11 at Detroit.

Watch the Shanahan decision below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: andy+sutton

Comments

BS.  I’m not even a Sutton fan.  But he stepped up to make a big hit and ACCIDENTALLY hit the Avs player in the head.  He didn’t “choose” his head as Shanahan says.  That’s asinine.  What makes me want to puke is Shanahan played this game for so long and should damn well know that is fast and that accidents happen.

Posted by Siggy25 on 11/01/11 at 08:51 PM ET

“Picked.”  Excuse me.  How asinine is that?  I mean, he simply missed the hit.  Wow.  At what point will the players start to complain about this stuff?

Posted by Siggy25 on 11/01/11 at 08:53 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Right, but the point is to avoid the head as a principle point of contact, accidental or not.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/01/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Sorry man, but the head is located a foot away from the shoulder.  And when you have two guys flying each other at 20 mph, accidents happen.

Posted by Siggy25 on 11/01/11 at 09:09 PM ET

Posted by Siggy25 on 11/01/11 at 06:53 PM ET

You can’t honestly think that’s just a missed hit.  I’m sorry, I just don’t believe you.

There is not a point in that hit where he’s ever going to make contact with ANYTHING but Landeskog’s head.  Landeskog doesn’t move, doesn’t change position, doesn’t do anything to change where the point of contact is going to be.

Was it intentional?  I don’t know.  It was no less intentional than Brendan Smith’s hit on Ben Smith, and he got 5 games (AND 3 pre-season).

Posted by Garth on 11/02/11 at 01:12 AM ET

Sorry man, but the head is located a foot away from the shoulder.

Exactly.  If you can’t differentiate the head from the shoulder, which are a foot away from one another, then you should not be allowed to play professional hockey, nevermind getting suspended…

Posted by Garth on 11/02/11 at 01:13 AM ET

Good call by Shanahan. I was worried he was going to back off after the union started to raise some noise. The days of predators looking for unsuspecting hits and destroying careers and lives is ending. Goons taking out budding superstars will soon be over.

Posted by timbits on 11/02/11 at 01:31 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Shanahan is dead to me.

I will never, ever forgive him for not suspending Wolski. Worse still, we get no official explanation of why where it’s been given to others.

I hope he doesn’t have any plans to visit Ottawa for the All-star game, because there are very few people here who would brake for him.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 11/02/11 at 10:51 AM ET

I know you are a Sens fan, but tha Wolski hit was nothing but incidental. If anything Alfie ran into Wolski, he flicted him off with a slight elbow shrug. This hit was not the end of the world you are making it out to be.

Posted by timbits on 11/02/11 at 11:42 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Timbits - I disagree on the hit. I think he intended to deliver the hit - and I have support from Wolski on that point, who made post-game comments to the tune of ‘I thought it was a clean hit’.

I think he’s blatantly wrong on the ‘clean’ part - it was not only late, but to the head with an elbow involved - but he’s obviously agreeing that it was an intentional hit.

Secondly, if the ‘Department of Player Safety’ believes the hit was legal or unintentional - where’s the explanation to that effect?

Montreal got such an explanation for the hit on their #7 defenceman. Ottawa’s captain - the player who is by far most important not only to the play of the team, but the marketting of the team - is concussed and will miss significant time. Why are we not similarly entitled - at least - to an explanation of why Shanahan doesn’t think the hit was on Alfredsson was an issue?

The answer, of course, is that the league is just as afraid of the grey areas as they ever were. Easy to suspend sutton, he’s got a history - easy to not suspend on the Campoli hit, he had the puck and turned his head. So videos for those ones. But when a decision gets a little more controversial? Same whispers and rumours and official silence we always got.

This is the new era - same as the old era, just less honest about it.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 11/02/11 at 01:13 PM ET

I understand the frustration with the elbow.  Though I don’t put it in the category that you do.  Shanahan made it clear on the Ryan Smyth elbow that he views those differently. I am not sure why he differentiates, the only thing I can think is that he played with very high elbows his whole career and doesn’t want to associate his own behavior with this crackdown.

Posted by timbits on 11/02/11 at 11:54 PM ET