Kukla's Korner Hockey
by George Malik on 06/25/14 at 06:49 PM ET
Updated with LeBrun stuff at 6:57 PM:
TSN's Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie discussed pre-draft trade and free agent discussions in an edition of Insider Trading that lasts for nearly four minutes. TSN usually posts a summation thereof, but if you don't want to wait until 7:30 or 8...
1. McKenzie says that there are 3 teams in the Western Conference (Anaheim, St. Louis +?) and 1 "mystery team" in the Eastern Conference who are talking to the Ottawa Senators about Jason Spezza (who has a no-trade list of 10 teams, incl. Florida, Carolina, Columbus and the Islanders). McKenzie says the Senators want a 1st-round draft pick as part of the compensation package.
2. Dreger says that David Bolland wants "maximum value," and he wants an 8-year deal at $4.9 million to remain with the Leafs. Toronto probably won't give him the term he wants, but Bolland believes he'll be healthy by training camp;
3. Dreger says that the Oilers are looking for a center and a defenseman, and they're willing to trade the 3rd overall pick and/or Sam Gagner in their efforts to improve the team, which may include trading for the Panthers' 1st overall pick;
4. McKenzie believes that the San Jose Sharks may want to move Joe Thornton to start a rebuilding process, but Thornton has a no-move clause with no "lists," and if he were to want to be traded, he'd want to go to Anaheim, LA, Chicago, etc. As such, Thornton is apparently speaking with the Sharks' "core" to reconnoiter;
5. McKenzie says that Ryan Kesler has a list of six teams that he wants to be traded to, and the Ducks and Hawks are among them, but there's a sense that the teams believe they're the only ones in the running, and as such, their offers aren't good enough for Vancouver, which won't trade Kesler unless it receives the return it wants to receive;
6. And regarding the Florida Panthers' #1 overall pick, the Canucks also want it. Dale Tallon has 3 legitimate offers for the pick, but that doesn't mean that they're enticing enough to convince Tallon to do anything other than lean toward using the pick to take a player on Friday;
7. Dreger says that Dan Boyle's agent, George Bazos, spoke with 8 teams on Wednesday, and some of those teams will speak with Bazsos in person n Thursday, including Toronto.
Edit/update: TSN also posted a shorter segment in which Pierre LeBrun discussed rumors, and while he covered most of his content in his "rumblings," he stated that the Blues are interested in both Jason Spezza and Paul Stastny, and the teams intrigued by Spezza, Kesler and Stastny know Stastny's the only one available for the price of his contract; LeBrun doesn't believe that Dale Tallon will move his #1 pick sans a "significant offer," and he says that Dan Boyle is insistent upon a 2-year contract, despite his status as 37 going on 38, and he says that the Maple Leafs and Rangers are among the teams interested; they'll meet with Boyle's agent over the next few days.
Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
Tags: anaheim+ducks, chicago+blackhawks, dale+tallon, dan+boyle, edmonton+oilers, florida+panthers, jason+spezza, joe+thornton, paul+stastny, ryan+kesler, sam+gagner, san+jose+sharks, st.+louis+blues, toronto+maple+leafs, vancouver+canucks
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org