Stop The PR War And A Unique Solution

Two videos from CBC, the first one Elliotte Friedman suggests the tweets and pr propoganda needs to stop and the second video, is Kevin O'Leary suggesting the NHL dump the current playes and bring in new blood.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

NIVO's avatar

Scabs playin hockey…..........excuse me while I go shoot this milk out my nose and nearly choke from laughing so hard.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 09/16/12 at 09:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Because the scab league worked so well in the NFL. I guess anyone under 35 might not remember that debacle.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/16/12 at 09:30 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Think we could get Keanu to star in that movie too?

I swear these turds read KK for inspiration.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/16/12 at 09:41 PM ET

Scab league today star players tomorrow. Within 2 to 3 years those scabs are tomorrow’s stars.

Posted by timbits on 09/16/12 at 10:12 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Enjoy your scabs, Timbits. I’ll wait for the real deal. The only thing in the universe worse than a scab is the person employing them.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/16/12 at 10:14 PM ET

Enjoy your scabs, Timbits

If the current players don’t want to play in the NHL someone else will. I like all levels of hockey so this wouldn’t be any different. Scoring might even increase.

Posted by timbits on 09/16/12 at 10:23 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The would-be scabs already have jobs. They’re the players who used to play in the AHL before it became an almost completely, “Young Red Wings, Young Bruins, etc.” prospect team league, and they get paid more money than the NHL would give them in Europe.

I’m not going to pay the NHL to watch AHL talent. I want to see the NHLPA’s players, the best in the world, play NHL hockey. The sides are stuck with each other, so they’ve got to make this thing work.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/16/12 at 10:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d sooner watch poorly-produced, but excellently played hockey created by scab owners.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/16/12 at 10:47 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

I have a different “ridiculous” proposal - let’s get rid of the owners and King Gary the First! Use our tax-payer subsidized arenas and have a league run and owned by the workers, the NHLPA. Of course fans need revenue sharing - cheap tickets that is… While this is my pipe-dream and would miss the Red Wings (trademark) as a franchise, it is still more thought provoking - for me at least - than running a blackleg NHL.

Posted by alukacs on 09/16/12 at 11:18 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

This whole debacle is ridiculous.  I’m just sick and tired of millionaires whining to billionaires that they aren’t getting enough money.  Boo-hoo…  I’m with O’Leary on this one.  Bring on hockey in some form.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 09/16/12 at 11:44 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Matt .. there already IS hockey ... its called the AHL or the OHL or the QMJHL or ........

The NHL seems to have money issues at the moment so we’ll have to take a step back and lower our expectations for a while.

This is why I’m hoping FSD airs one Griffins game a week ... I want to see how different the AHL is as far as skill level and speed of the game.

Firing and replacing all of the NHL players just doesn’t make sense.  They are a proven commodity, justifying the high ticket prices.  If the owners brought in all new players, nobody would pay those outrageous prices for an unknown product ... unless you were a total moron.

Now if, on the other hand, Gary Bettman were to be fired .....................

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 09/17/12 at 05:58 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

If the current players don’t want to play in the NHL someone else will.

The owners have LOCKED OUT the current players. Not visa versa. The current players are willing to keep on playing while negotiations are taking place.

This is solely on the owners and Bettman at this point in the game.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! In 13?

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/17/12 at 06:51 AM ET

We should also fire all of the doctors, I hear interns are paid almost nothing and do nearly as good a job. And when those interns graduate, we should fire them too, since there will always be another batch of interns right?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/17/12 at 07:27 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/16/12 at 11:39 PM ET

That’s exactly it. There is actually some talent out there thanks to the structure of the “developmental” leagues, but nobody is going to pay NHL money to see NOT the best players in the world play. So if you want second/third/fourth tier talent, you can still go to things like NCAA games and CHL games for pennies on the dollar compared to what an NHL game would cost, even with scabs. If operating expenses are are high as owners say they are (and even as a PA supporter, I do believe them to a degree about this), scabs would be a waste of time and money for them.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/17/12 at 07:55 AM ET

henrymalredo's avatar

The NHL isn’t like some other industries where the workers are essentially interchangable parts.  They have specific unique skills and are marketable in their own right.  They are the product as well as the labor.  As was said earlier, no one will pay NHL prices to see AHL talent.  Sure, there might be a few Marty St. Louis type players that had been overlooked by the NHL and will light it up when given the chance, but for the most part, it won’t be the level of play we’re accustomed to.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 09/17/12 at 08:32 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/16/12 at 11:14 PM ET

Amen brother.  I’ve got the Buckeyes here in town in order to get my hockey fix.  I won’t spend a dime on a scab league.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/17/12 at 08:53 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

alukacs - I posted nearly the same thing on facebook a couple days ago. I’d love to see the players pool their finances and operate their own league. I don’t think I’d even miss the current teams if it was a true worker-owned co-op league.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/17/12 at 09:17 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/17/12 at 10:17 AM ET

Even as someone that has been on the PA’s side, I have to say, I do not think this is feasible. Players are millionaires and owners are billionaires, and it really does take billionaires to put together hockey like this. Players could certainly band together and get sponsors to help put on some fun one-off games perhaps, but it is unlikely they have the money or the acumen to even put together a cut-rate version of what the NHL (already a cut-rate league by NFL/MLB standards) is/was.

We do have to give the owners credit from the standpoint that they really do pony up the big bucks to grow the league and enhance the experience of being a hockey fan from so many angles. That is expensive. They really do have high costs. The issue isn’t that the owners are lying about their costs being extensive, I think the issue is that they are currently, as a whole, unwilling to use a proactive and more inherently fair compromise whereby sure, the players share comes closer to 50%, but also where the half-dozen or so teams at the top that look at tens of millions in profit do their share via revenue sharing as well.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/17/12 at 09:59 AM ET

I’m not going to pay the NHL to watch AHL talent.

You wouldn’t be, at least for very long.  The owners are already getting a ‘free’ 200 million this year while the players will get nothing while the lockout goes on.  If the NHL actually opens up it’s doors for play (which is undeniably what they will do to start the 2013-14 season if the lockout goes that long), players will come across the line in a flood.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/17/12 at 10:04 AM ET

NHL dump the current playes and bring in new blood

players will come across the line in a flood

These are two different arguments, one is to bring in new players not the players that are locked out, the other is to bring the same players back by breaking the union.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/17/12 at 11:37 AM ET

calquake's avatar

As Roberto Duran once said, “No mas, no mas.”  Wake me up when this fiasco is over.  Until then both sides can go pound sand.

Posted by calquake on 09/17/12 at 12:55 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

@nathan - A player co-op league would have to be MUCH smaller and dependent on arenas leasing facilities on VERY favorable terms. Say hello to the new Kansas City Catfish, Quebec City Juggernauts and probably 4 more teams. It would NOT be the giant league the NHL is for exactly the reasons you listed. I agree entirely that the players could not shoulder the burden of a massive league, and if you believe Bettman, neither can the current slate of owners.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/18/12 at 09:21 AM ET