Stop Complaining About The Shootout

from Adrian Dater of the Denver Post,

There has been a push to eliminate the shootout by a band of crab apples who just never seem to be happy. That includes some of the NHL's general managers, who discussed alternatives for deciding games tied after regulation at their most recent golf outing, er, league meetings in Florida.

Gosh, it's just the worst thing in the world, isn't it, having NHL players take turns trying to score against goalies on breakaways to decide a game? My goodness, what about the integrity of the sport?

Give it a rest. Fans, in poll after poll, like the shootout. It's just a "skills competition," the purists snicker. To quote Sports Illustrated hockey writer Michael Farber in his 2010 defense of the shootout: "Darn right it is."

Seeing great offensive players show off some of their best moves while the league's best goaltenders try to stop them — what a monstrosity that is, eh? To echo Farber, what's truly laughable are some of the purists' solutions to the dreaded shootout gimmick, such as extended four-on-four overtimes or even three-on-three. Three-on-three wouldn't be a gimmick too?

You want to play 10 minutes of four-on-four overtime because five aren't enough? Fine, and when your team's best players get hurt from being overly tired, don't come whining to me.

a bit more plus why Patrick Roy deserves the Jack Adams Award over Jon Cooper....

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

yreland's avatar

Is AD being paid by the league to say this garbage?  I understand the public’s need for clear winner at the end of a game, but shoot-outs still leave e feeling hollow when I leave a game.

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 03/30/14 at 07:15 AM ET

I am AMAZED the homer beat writer for the Dive is taking pot shots at Holland.

This is sarcasm, for people who can’t tell.

Posted by teldar on 03/30/14 at 07:16 AM ET

Yreland,
His only reasons to write half of what he does are to complain about the redwings or relive the past. This whole article covers both reasons.

Posted by teldar on 03/30/14 at 07:18 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m ok with the shootout, but I’d also like to see the 3-on-3 idea used first because I think it’s very entertaining.  Yeah I realize it’s a gimmick too. Don’t care. I still estimate only about 20% of games that go to a shootout are the kind where I’d be ok with the game having ended in a tie instead (and half of those are because both teams played so poorly that I think neither one deserves to go home with a win).

Dater does grumpy internet commenter as well as he does detached reporter (which he does awfully). It takes a special breed of dummy writer to come across as whiny when talking about how other people should stop whining.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/30/14 at 07:43 AM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

JJ, that is absolutely magnificent.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 03/30/14 at 01:30 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I’ll stop complaining about the shoot out when the shoot out is no more.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 03/30/14 at 03:06 PM ET