Steve Yzerman’s Future Still Undecided

from Nicholas J. Cotsonika of NHL.com,

Steve Yzerman remains heavily involved with the Tampa Bay Lightning in his role as senior adviser to general manager Julien BriseBois, but it remains to be seen what he will do when his contract expires after this season.

"I talked to him midyear to see where his head was at," BriseBois said at the annual March meetings of NHL general managers Tuesday. "He said he still wanted to give it some thought, and we'd revisit after the season."

Yzerman stepped down as GM on Sept. 11 after eight seasons, saying it was becoming difficult to do the job the way he felt it needed to be done and also be with his family in Detroit. He spent 26 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings previously, 22 as a player, four in the front office.

"I know he's around, because I'm there," BriseBois. "But when I talk to people, they don't seem to grasp how around he's been all year.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+yzerman

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

“I know he’s around, because I’m there,” BriseBois. “But when I talk to people, they don’t seem to grasp how around he’s been all year.

It seems like a lot of people think Yzerman took the year off by switching positions like this, like he’s just sitting around waiting for an offer to do something different.  That would be very unlike him.  Glad to see Brisebois put this out there.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/06/19 at 12:44 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I seriously doubt he’s coming back to Detroit to be the GM. I think we are stuck with KH for years to come, and more than likely Blash too.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/06/19 at 05:16 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Wings…, don’t depress me but if you are right, I am rooting for a lockout!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/06/19 at 05:20 PM ET

StayClassy's avatar

Stevie doesn’t seem at all ready to step away from hockey. Also doesn’t seem To want to work outside of Detroit…

Posted by StayClassy from Wings fan in Columbus on 03/06/19 at 07:50 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 03/06/19 at 04:16 PM ET

I am doubtful still that Yzerman would come to DET, but not that Holland is going to move on.  Holland is going to either retire or move on.  All the signs are pointing to it.

Posted by Primis on 03/06/19 at 08:03 PM ET

I seriously doubt he’s coming back to Detroit to be the GM.

He probably won’t, he’ll be whatever Brendan Shanahan is to Toronto.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 03/07/19 at 09:10 AM ET