Steve Ott Named Assistant Coach For The St. Louis Blues

(May 25, 2017) – St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the club has named Steve Ott Assistant Coach.  Ott, 34, who played for the Blues from the 2013-14 season through the 2015-16 season, has signed a three-year contract.

“Steve was a competitor on the ice as a player and I expect him to bring that energy in this role,” said Blues Head Coach Mike Yeo.  “He was highly respected as a player and a person among his teammates and I believe he will be a huge asset to our staff.”

“I am very proud of my playing career and will devote the same work ethic to my coaching career,” said Ott.  “The Blues organization is very special to me and my family and I’m excited to take the next step in my hockey career with this franchise.”

Ott played in 848 NHL games from 2002-17, amassing 288 points (109 goals, 179 assists) along with 1,555 penalty minutes.  In 14 seasons, he played with Dallas, Buffalo, St. Louis, Detroit and Montreal and served as Buffalo’s Captain during the 2013-14 season before being acquired by the Blues on Feb. 28, 2014.  The Summerside, PEI native was originally drafted by Dallas in the first round, 25th overall, of the 2000 Entry Draft.

Filed in: NHL Teams, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+ott

Comments

Temo's avatar

Well . . . so much for him coming back . .

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 05/25/17 at 03:26 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Well so much for the theory that KH would sign him again. I enjoyed having him here, and think it was good (even long term) for the young players to have him around. Plus a 6th isn’t great but doesn’t hurt.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 05/25/17 at 03:26 PM ET

Didn’t realize he had retired.

Maybe it was contingent on first working out this deal,
which certainly does offer him more security and a good
step into a future career.

He seemed like a good Red Wing.

Hopefully Ken Holland realizes the Wings need a lot more
of what a player and personality like Ott can offer.

Posted by Lefty30 on 05/25/17 at 04:08 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

One of those guys you really dislike when he’s playing against you. Didn’t realize was from Windsor until he arrived in Detroit. He seemed like a good guy to have in the room.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/25/17 at 04:16 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If they don’t sign Mcillrath and they have already mentioned not signing McKee then Kenny is going to have to find UFA toughness as the wings really don’t have much. After watching the Preds Ducks series its obvious to me they need to get much more physical to be a contender.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 05/25/17 at 06:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Good riddance.  Should help the Blues remain inconsequential.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 05/25/17 at 07:27 PM ET

Good for you Steve.

And from the “maybe he’ll re-sign in Detroit” perspective, thank you Steve.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 05/25/17 at 09:16 PM ET