Steve Moore Says No Deal Yet On Todd Bertuzzi Settlement

from Rick Westhead of TSN,

Steve Moore's brother Mark says there is no deal between Steve and Todd Bertuzzi, a bombshell claim that casts doubt on claims made Wednesday by the NHL and Bertuzzi's lawyers that a settlement had been reached.

"I got a text message from Steve last night and he's very concerned," Mark Moore told TSN. "He says there is no deal yet and isn't sure what to do about all the media speculation.

"Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media."

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+moore, todd+bertuzzi

Comments

“Bertuzzi is a free agent and he wants to sign a contract,” Mark Moore continued. “They are trying to put on pressure. You see the Canucks have not made a statement.”

This saga has not stopped Bert from getting contracts before.

Posted by George0211 on 08/20/14 at 01:03 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Wait, let me get this straight.

Steve Moore doesn’t know how to handle the media (understandably so, given his injury), so his brother does what? Runs to the media? Fine work there, Mark.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/20/14 at 01:08 PM ET

Fine work there, Mark.

What should he have done, talked with a real estate agent?

Posted by Garth on 08/20/14 at 01:16 PM ET

Alan's avatar

What should he have done, talked with a real estate agent?

Telling the media someone is vulnerable only increases the amount of pressure the media will apply. You should know that. The wise thing to do would have been to advise his brother to decline comment and speak to his lawyer. If the lawyer is worth his salt, and a settlement in fact was not agreed upon, the lawyer could then go to the media.

As for real estate agents, if you can direct me to a good one in the downriver area, I would appreciate it.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/20/14 at 01:27 PM ET

awould's avatar

If Steve Moore has trouble making decisions, you gotta wonder who is calling the shots for him on this protracted legal battle? 8 years seems a pretty long time for what is a relatively cut & dry case. The now famous ‘Erin Brockovich’ suit against that gas company only took like 3 or 4 years.

Posted by awould on 08/20/14 at 01:27 PM ET

Seems to me that’s what he’s done.  He’s speaking to the media -clearing up his brother’s side of the speculation- so that his Steve doesn’t have to.  At the same time I’m sure and the rest of his family have tried to keep Steve away from the watching any reports about it.

Seems completely reasonable to me.

We’re talking about the hockey media.  Other than John Tortorella versus the media in whatever city he’s coaching, the hockey media don’t necessarily seem like bloodthirsty, TMZ-esque vultures.

Posted by Garth on 08/20/14 at 01:51 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m torn between thinking that this is a mostly-disginenuous heartstring-pulling ploy to wrestle a few more concessions and thinking that the NHL is essentially on the side of settling quickly and therefore are absolutely part of the target of such a ploy, making this a situation where they’re being given a taste of their own medicine.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/20/14 at 02:03 PM ET

This saga has not stopped Bert from getting contracts before.

Case is now going to trial and Bert will be one of the witnesses.  It will be a media spectacle and I’m sure any GM or coach does not want the distraction for the team

Posted by bababooey on 08/20/14 at 03:00 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

This saga has not stopped Bert from getting contracts before.

Posted by bababooey on 08/20/14 at 03:00 PM ET

He won’t spend one minute in court. This is obviously close to being settled, albeit with some outstanding issues. At worst, it comes up on docket and the lawyers are ordered to more settlement conferences.

Or I could be wrong smile

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/20/14 at 03:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The Canucks say settlement has been reached.

My suggestion, wait until we hear something from both lawyers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/14 at 03:40 PM ET

I tend to agree. Something just doesn’t sound right if it’s not coming from a lawyer, which is kind of what I was hinting at.

Next time, I’ll just come right out and say it.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/20/14 at 05:19 PM ET

My suggestion, wait until we hear something from both lawyers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/20/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Yup.  I tend to wait for the people who are actually writing the language of the settlement to speak for all parties.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/20/14 at 10:06 PM ET