Statement Regarding Jimmy Vesey

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jimmy+vesey

Comments

Primis's avatar

It sounds like this has been brewing for a while, and Nashville knew or should have known.

I expect we’ll only see more of this from picks/prospects.  They’re not as afraid now to tell an org to buzz off.  This is going to be another hurdle for the non-traditional markets (though I can’t say I feel sorry for them).

Boston Herald is reporting sources close to Vesey saying he wants to sign with the Bruins.

Posted by Primis on 03/30/16 at 12:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

This article now, posted back in February, is very interesting because of how he talks about how him going to Harvard was viewed with stigma from some in the NHL.  In particular, this passage:

“I met with a bunch of teams at the NHL Scouting Combine in Toronto in 2012, but one interview particularly stands out.  For those who don’t know how combine interviews work, you basically sit there at a round table with all of a team’s scouts, staff and management and just get peppered with questions.

So I’m sitting there, 18 years old, nervously sweating in my suit, and some guy sitting at the table pipes up.

“Oh, so you’re going to Harvard. Do you want to be a student or a hockey player?”

I was completely taken aback. I’m pretty sure that I botched the rest of the interview because I was so rattled by that question. I probably should’ve brushed it off, but in that type of situation you start second-guessing yourself.

Is Harvard actually the right fit? Is it going to hurt my hockey career?

Looking back, I kind of wish I had told this guy to pound sand, because he definitely had no clue about who I was or how special playing at Harvard was.”

That’s…. that sounds like a kid who got turned off by some NHL types.  Withotu knowing which of the 30 NHL teams asked him that question, it may have very well been the team that took him, the Preds.  If so, it could have been doomed form the start.

And then there’s this:

“Last spring, after my junior season at Harvard, I had the opportunity to realize my childhood dream of playing in the NHL. The Nashville Predators, the team that drafted me, were telling me I would step into their lineup on a line with Mike Fisher for the end of the season and the playoffs.”

NAS wanted Vesey to sign, Vesey didn’t want to and wanted to complete at Harvard.  The Preds may have then given him grief over it.  And I have no doubt that at least in part caused the rift.  Once Vesey realized he could wait the Preds out, they’d lost.

Here’s the thing:  Vesey doesn’t write that article in the Players Tribune talking about all this unless it was weighing on his mind for a long time, a big important issue for him.  So one has to assume this article a month ago should have been the first clue Vesey was never signing in NAS and that it was already set.

Posted by Primis on 03/30/16 at 01:09 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

Hmmmm.  Born in Mass.  Went to Harvard. Boy, those Boston Herald people don’t miss a single angle, do they?

Posted by duhduhduh on 03/30/16 at 01:10 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I keep wondering if he has the same agent as Drouin, but I can’t find any info on who Vesey’s agent is.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/30/16 at 01:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Bob MxKenzie a few minutes ago,

The moment Jimmy Vesey Jr. told the Nashville Predators he was going to exercise his right to unrestricted free agency come Aug. 15—rather than sign with the club and play the rest of this regular season and 2016 Stanley Cup playoffs in Music City—you knew where this was likely headed.

To Toronto or Boston, of course.

Even before Vesey informed the Predators on Monday he was setting himself free, there’s been constant speculation this season amongst many NHL club personnel that the 22-year-old graduating Harvard scoring winger was headed for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

As soon as the Leafs hired the player’s father, Jimmy Vesey Sr., last August to the role of Boston-area college scout, eyebrows were raised and knowing nods were exchanged by executives from other clubs. By the way, Vesey’s brother Nolan was a sixth-round pick of the Leafs in 2014. He just finished his sophomore season at the University of Maine.

But then today, the Boston Herald reported the following: “According to an extremely well-placed source within the Boston-area college hockey community, the forward will opt for free agency and sign with the B’s.”

So, now what?

If he’s going to Toronto, he can’t very well go to Boston, can he?

more at TSN

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/30/16 at 01:22 PM ET

von Awesome's avatar

He’s not going to a rebuild team just because his dad is working there, especially not Toronto where the media scrutiny there is insane. If he doesn’t go to Boston, then he’ll wind up with another team other than Toronto. I think Nashville would’ve been a better fit for him being that he would be getting top six minutes in a market that doesn’t have an insane media presence. But, like Primis pointed out above, the Preds could’ve rubbed him the wrong way, and he was turned off on that prospect.

That aside, I think it’s a great idea for a kid playing NCAA hockey to finish out the four years, and get a bachelor’s degree. It’s just smart so in case the dream of playing in the NHL doesn’t work out for whatever reason, they already have a degree to fall back on. It’s just smart, and whoever the scout or team official that drilled Vesey with that question needs a reaming.

Posted by von Awesome on 03/30/16 at 03:41 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by Primis on 03/30/16 at 02:09 PM ET

Nicely done….thanks for that summary!!!!

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/30/16 at 04:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by von Awesome on 03/30/16 at 04:41 PM ET

It’s unfortunately a common feeling throughout all of sports right now.  “What, you’r into the BOOK LEARNIN’, SMART-MAKIN’ STUFF?!  So you’re not a REAL athlete… *barking*...”

Posted by Primis on 03/30/16 at 04:21 PM ET