Statement From NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr

TORONTO (October 26, 2012) – Don Fehr, National Hockey League Players’ Association Executive Director, released the following statement regarding the NHL’s decision to withdraw its October 16, 2012 proposal and cancel further regular season games:

“The league officially informed us today that they have withdrawn their latest proposal and have cancelled another slate of regular season games. This is deeply disappointing for all hockey fans and everyone who makes their living from hockey, including the players.  But it comes as no surprise.

Last week the owners gave us what amounts to a "take-it-or-leave-it" proposal.  We responded with the framework for three proposals on the players’ share, each of which moved significantly, towards their stated desire for a 50-50 split of HRR, with the only condition being that they honour contracts they have already signed. Honouring contracts signed between owners and players is a reasonable request. Unfortunately, after considering them for only 10 minutes they rejected all of our proposals.

Since then, we have repeatedly advised the owners that the players are prepared to sit down and negotiate on any day, with no pre-conditions.  The owners refused.  They apparently are only interested in meeting if we first agree to everything in their last offer, except for perhaps a few minor tweaks and discussion of their “make whole” provision.

The message from the owners seems to be: if you don't give us exactly what we want, there is no point in talking.  They have shown they are very good at delivering deadlines and demands, but we need a willing partner to negotiate.  We hope they return to the table in order to get the players back on the ice soon.”

Filed in: NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: donald+fehr

Comments

Vladimir16's avatar

Honouring contracts signed between owners and players is a reasonable request.

Why they would even have to request that is beyond me. Okay, I pay $165 a month for my Triumph. Because money’s tight I’m gonna only pay $145 a month for one yr then $155 for the next yr then I’ll start paying the $165 a month that I signed off on.
Notice, if you will, how re-feckin-diculous that sounds.
This whole thing is turning the NHL into a laughing stock. Whats that? Nobody gives two shits, ya say

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/26/12 at 01:42 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Shorter Fehr WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it’s that they are Big Meanies

Posted by Evilpens on 10/26/12 at 02:01 PM ET

Shorter Fehr WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA it’s that they are Big Meanies

There’s nothing more entertaining to me than your insane posts.

Posted by Garth on 10/26/12 at 02:03 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

There’s nothing more entertaining to me than your insane posts.
Posted by Garth on 10/26/12 at 03:03 PM ET

I’m with Garth on this one. Good, good stuff.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/26/12 at 02:06 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I like when Donald Fehr says things that I’ve been saying too.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/26/12 at 02:26 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 on 10/26/12 at 02:42 PM ET

I like that idea, and am going to pose that to my bank regarding my car loan payment.

Should I offer to increase my APR in the final two years to make up the payment difference from the first three?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/26/12 at 02:30 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 10/26/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Only if they balk. Gives you a little wiggle room.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/26/12 at 02:40 PM ET

once i lived in a neighborhood that had an HOA (home oweners association).  The fee to live in the community was $70 a month.  It went towards things like the community pool, grass cutting in common areas, etc.  When i moved into the neighborhood the HOA fees were $45 a month.  The cost would increase each year, and community would ask to modify the fee charged in order to keep things like the pool.  It wasnt what i agreed to when i signed the mortgage documents, but it was a cost that i realized i needed to pay in order to keep the pool around.

In order for the NHL to keep the “pool” they are asking the players to pony up a little more.  Lets hope the players decide to keep the pool.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/26/12 at 03:55 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/26/12 at 04:55 PM ET

I’m pretty sure if you had asked your HOA to show a cost breakdown of why that fee had to go up, they wouldn’t have shot an angry remark to reporters about how inappropriate it is for you to want to know that kind of stuff.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/26/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Why they would even have to request that is beyond me

Because new CBA’s can change the terms of SPC’s, and the players don’t want that in cases where that change is disadvantageous to them.

In this case it’s money, but the NHLPA would raise a similar stink if any portion of the SPC beneficial to the players was changed for the worse, in their opinion.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/26/12 at 05:31 PM ET

Yes, the new CBA CAN change the terms of SPCs.  There’s nowhere that says a new CBA MUST change SPCs.

Do you see why most reasonable people understand that it shouldn’t be on the PA to “request” that the terms not be changed.  It should be understood that they don’t want the terms changes instead of it being understood that the terms WILL change and the only negotiation will be HOW MUCH the terms change.

Posted by Garth on 10/26/12 at 05:42 PM ET

Why they would even have to request that is beyond me.

What did you say that differed from what I said in the second comment?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/26/12 at 06:17 PM ET

Both sides in any agreement need to pretty clearly define what they are and are not asking for.

There is no such thing as a ‘given’ in big money contract negotiations.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/26/12 at 06:21 PM ET

What did you say that differed from what I said in the second comment?

The difference is that you think it should be accepted as a given that a new CBA will change the SPCs.

That is not a given.  A new CBA could be the exact same as the old one.

It’s REALLY not that difficult.  If you think for a second, just one second, it’s easy to understand.

There is no such thing as a ‘given’ in big money contract negotiations.

Hmm, yet you take it as a given that a new CBA must alter all SPCs.

Posted by Garth on 10/26/12 at 06:41 PM ET

I am going to ask you to specifically repeat what I said which led you to that assumption.  You will not provide a quote, because I never said anything like that.

Why? Because this is example number, oh, around a hundred or so of people making assumptions that I said something I did not.

What I have actually said is that the CBA can change the SPC and that there is nothing inherently wrong or evil or malicious in such a change.  There is, in fact, terminology specifically included in each and every SPC to facilitate just that kind of change.

Now I am going to be excruciatingly clear in a separation here.  There are two issues in this instance:

1) CBAs can change SPCs.  They don’t have to, but if they do it is not a case of an SPC being ‘violated’.

2) In this specific negotiation, I think it is a given that the players are going to lose money.

Note the very specific and very clear separations of those two statements.  One speaks to a general understanding of contracts, the next to a specific understanding of the dynamics of this negotiation.

Hmm, yet you take it as a given that a new CBA must alter all SPCs.

And that is likewise example number a hundred or so of someone subsequently arguing against a position I never took after stupidly making the assumption necessary to create it out of wholecloth.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/26/12 at 07:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

So when talking about CBA>SPC’s and how the clause in the SPC allows for a rollback and that the players shouldn’t be offended by this and that since this is available to the owners they should use it and by using it, the players should accept it because the owners can indefinitely weather a lock-out.. that you’re NOT saying you think the the new CBA MUST have frameowrk (again because the owners are asking for it and they cannot be defeated on their demands because of wealth of funds and limited player careers) that does in fact change the SPC by rolling back 25% of the salary guaranteed in those contracts?  Since NHL is the only league left with guaranteed contracts… am I not following YOUR thought process correctly… simpleton I am..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 10/27/12 at 03:07 AM ET