St. John’s AHL Team Gets Name and Logo

image

From theahl.com:

Danny Williams, president and chief executive officer, today (Friday) announced that the new AHL franchise in Newfoundland and Labrador will be called the St. John’s IceCaps.

Williams was joined by Glenn Stanford, AHL governor and chief operating officer of the team, at Mile One Centre, where they also unveiled the team logo.

Read the full press release for more info.

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, Doug Miller, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: st.+john’s+icecaps

Comments

Ducksworth's avatar

I was wondering when this was gonna get announced, I like the logo and name.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/30/11 at 10:02 AM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Nice logo.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 07/30/11 at 10:39 AM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

I was wondering when this was gonna get announced

So was I, and I happened to stumble upon the news when working on putting together my NHL 12 update for later today… just had to go and confirm the info via the AHL.

I probably would have caught it yesterday, when the press release went out, but I spent most of the day sleeping, fighting off a very annoying flu bug of unknown origin… which I’m still dealing with… but I make no excuses… except for those previous ones.

I dig the name too… as I’m a big fan of those IceCaps from Tim Horton’s wink

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/30/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Another thick-lined logo with the font rendered in perspective…blah.  Except the incorporation of Newfoundland and I guess Labrador into the actual ice cap part…that’s pretty cool.

Posted by ElectricHootenanny on 07/30/11 at 01:53 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

Posted by ElectricHootenanny on 07/30/11 at 12:53 PM ET

Yeah, they just don’t make ‘em like they used to (original six logos are all still the best IMO).

Gotta give them some props the Newfoundland/Labrador love… even though I won’t be the only person who will think “Tim Horton’s” every time I see it.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/30/11 at 02:06 PM ET

Lame.

Posted by godblender on 07/30/11 at 02:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Poor name, uninspired logo and colors.

Do people even try anymore?

Posted by Primis on 07/30/11 at 03:14 PM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

It’s better than Fog Devils, which was the name of the QMJHL team we had here a few years ago. I really like the new logo, especially the map of the province. They are using the colours that the Jets are using. The logo seems popular so far, the merchandise is selling pretty briskly.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 07/30/11 at 07:16 PM ET