Spin-O-Rama Again, Leisure Suits Next?

Mikhail Grabovski of the Leafs with the spin move in the shootout.

Am I the only one not really impressed with these?

By the way, Leafs won the game.

Filed in: NHL Teams, St. Louis Blues, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mikhail+grabovski

Comments

Forechecker's avatar

I don’t mind this one as much because he doesn’t pull to a stop like Stamkos did the other day. That one should have been disallowed.

Posted by Forechecker from Nolensville, TN on 01/07/11 at 12:26 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Uh oh, you just rang Jon Jordan’s bell.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/11 at 12:28 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Nice move. A shootout is better than a tie. But I hope the GMs can find some agreement on a format to extend overtime; as long as it’s not a standard 3-on-3 at any point in the overtime.

Posted by cs6687 on 01/07/11 at 12:44 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m not typically impressed with the spin either(although I don’t have any problem with them being legal), but this one was better. Like he saw the goalie wasn’t biting on the backhand and adapted nicely.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/07/11 at 01:04 AM ET

That one should have been disallowed.”
Posted by Forechecker from Nolensville, TN on 01/06/11 at 10:26 PM ET

They amended the rule a couple years ago to make it clear that you can do a spin move.

The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.”

Posted by NathanBC on 01/07/11 at 02:28 AM ET

EDJ's avatar

I don’t really care whether the spin-move is impressive or not. At the end of the day, the puck is either in the net or it’s not, and here it is.

Posted by EDJ on 01/07/11 at 02:30 AM ET

Ian!'s avatar

It worked, didn’t it? Wasn’t he trying to score, not necessarily impress people?

Posted by Ian! from Baltimore, MD on 01/07/11 at 02:55 AM ET

edillac's avatar

well,I am impressed,he is a Leaf,he scored,they won, that there is something

Posted by edillac from isolation on 01/07/11 at 06:47 AM ET

edillac's avatar

and yeah,it was definetly awesome,penalty shot of the year so far

is anything else than a gloveside wrister disrespectull to the hockey conservatives?

Posted by edillac from isolation on 01/07/11 at 06:59 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I’m with you, Paul, I don’t really get excited over this. Then again, I’m the one guy on earth apparently that would rather have ties than a team game decided by an individual skills competition, so maybe my opinion doesn’t count here.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/07/11 at 10:15 AM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

Oh, Dirk Dirk Dirk Dirk Dirk Dirk Dirk!!!

Actually, it’s cool… The statute of limitations for my getting annoyed at complaints regarding the Stamkos SO goal has run out.

Cheers!

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 01/07/11 at 11:06 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

3 or 4 years ago Zetterberg seemed to get this spin-o-rama move going, but see, he did it in an actual game. Against Nashville IIRC.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/07/11 at 11:16 AM ET

Incognetis's avatar

You’re not the only one Nathan.

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 01/07/11 at 01:01 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I cannot stand the gimmicky shootout. Not a team effort.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/07/11 at 01:19 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

+1 to what Kate said.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/07/11 at 02:47 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I like the shootouts.  Ties were so unsatisfying and it’s fun to watch the 1-on-1 action.  Let’s see a triple-axle salchow slapshot for all I care.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 01/07/11 at 04:41 PM ET

I’m completely not bothered by any circus stunt shootout attempt where two points are on the line.  It’s in the game now so might as well have a little fun with it.  I still pine for the old scoring system but it is what it is right now.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/07/11 at 04:53 PM ET

Forechecker's avatar

Thanks for the clarification, Nathan!

Jon, I hereby rescind my condemnation of Stamkos’ goal.

Posted by Forechecker from Nolensville, TN on 01/08/11 at 02:12 PM ET