Special Hitting Zone

Maybe the league can have some red, blinking neon lights below the ice surface that let’s us know, free shots available here.

from Damien Cox of The Spin,

Now, the Torres/hitting zone ruling might come as a bit of a surprise to Jarret Stoll given that he was given a one-game suspension last week for hitting San Jose’s Ian White into the glass behind the net. So the “hitting zone” - “separate head from body zone?” - area apparently doesn’t extend all the way from the goal line to the glass, but just to some ill-defined area immediately behind the net.

Having been now to three of four GMs meetings and NHL board of governors meetings at which head shots and concussions were extensively discussed, I can assure you I’ve never, EVER heard of any special rules for hits behind the net. Several NHL managers were mystified about this concept when contacted.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brent+seabrook, raffi+torres

Comments

That ‘hitting zone’ thing is, indeed, in the league video that defines rule 48. However, Cox’s point about the Stoll hit is correct. I don’t understand why that hit would warrant a 4 game suspension and the hit on Seabrook deserves nothing. A headshot behind the net is either legal or not. It can’t be both.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 06:14 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Not sure the “hitting zone” and rule 48 applies to boarding.  The Torres hit was open-ice, which makes it applicable to rule 48, and thus the “hitting zone.”  I don’t think Stoll was suspended under rule 48, he was suspended under ‘you can’t drive a guys head into the boards,’ which has always been suspendable.  See the Chris Pronger hit on Tomas Holmstrom during the 2007 WCF which resulted in a 1 game suspension, just like Stoll got, way before rule 48.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/18/11 at 06:21 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t care what the NHL decides regarding any rule of the game.  I just want consistent enforcement.  If what Homer does is illegal, fine.  The Wings will stop doing it.  If you want to make head shots illegal, fine.  The players will stop doing it.  Just stop creating grey areas in which players and coaches have to guess and hope they don’t cross the imaginary line.  This isn’t hard, thats what frustrates me the most in all of this.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/18/11 at 06:32 PM ET

Then the Downie hit from 2008, which was a blindside headshot in this so-called ‘hitting zone’ (though he did leave his feet, I suppose).

If I’m Torres, I’m completely confused as to why last week’s hit got me suspended for four games and this week’s hit was punished by nothing.

Set a standard, like obstruction, enforce it consistently and the players will adjust once they understand what call will be made in what situation. As Sedin said after the game, the player’s don’t know what the league wants to be legal and neither do the referees.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 06:55 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Well, again, rule 48 just started last Spring, so there was no “hitting zone” or rule 48 in 2008.  But you’re right, there is no consistency and the players still really don’t know what they can do and what they can’t.  We could see that exact same hit tonight and the ref could give the hitter 5 and a game and the league could issue a 10 game suspension.  Nobody knows.  And I think that’s how the league wants it.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/18/11 at 07:05 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Of course it is.. that way you can nudge the best matchups.. like Montreal/Boston.. Chicago/Vancouver   SanJose/LA (couldn’t have got any better for the southworste) Detroit/Phoenix (how many more tickets you think they’re selling because they’re playing detroit.. if it’d been any other team they wouldn’t be able to bring in Red Wing revenue)  Worked out pretty good for the NHL… they probably don’t have 1 team they want.. but they’re probably partial to a couple and the Wings aren’t one of them.. but the Wings talk about it every year and they dont’ make excuses, they’re brand of hockey includes playing against he Refs too..

May seem tinfoil hat-ish but I was floored to see the Red Wings are the most penalized team since the second round of last year.. that’s amazing considering our teams individual stats as well as cumulative with penalties..

Keep the rules undefined and you can make them up as you go.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/18/11 at 08:13 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

what a moron, how can u compare boarding to an open ice hit.  Sounds like something tpsh would write about.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/18/11 at 08:36 PM ET