Southeast Division Statistical Previews by Position: Forwards

As the new season approaches, I’ll be making an effort to preview the Southeast Division in a slow and steady, comprehensive manner. To kick things off, I thought I’d take a look back at last year’s individual player statistics, updated to reflect this summer’s off-season transactions. (In other words, for example, we’ll group Dustin Byfuglien’s 2009-10 statistics with Chicago alongside his new Atlanta Thrashers teammates and their performances from last year.)

In short, we’ll look at last year’s stats with this year’s rosters, both by division as a whole and by individual teams, broken down by position… Because a look to the recent past can often be a good indicator of what’s to come. (Often… Not always. See: Cheechoo, Jonathan.) And, besides, I don’t know that you’ll find a list like this in too many places (at least I hope you won’t… Cause that would mean I spent too much time on all of this!)

To get things started, we’ll start tonight with the forwards.

(One last note: Currently unsigned, unrestricted free agents are not included, while those still unsigned but restricted are.)

Top 25 2010-11 Southeast Division Forwards by 2009-10 Overall Offensive Performance
RANK-PLAYER, TEAM: GP-GOALS-ASSISTS-POINTS-(PLUS/MINUS)
1- Alexander Ovechkin, Washington: 72-50-59-109-(+45)
2- Nicklas Backstrom, Washington: 82-33-68-101-(+37)
3- Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay: 82-51-44-95-(-2)
4- Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay: 82-29-65-94-(-8)
5- Alexander Semin, Washington: 73-40-44-84-(+36)
6- Eric Staal, Carolina: 70-29-41-70-(+4)
7- Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay: 82-24-46-70-(-16)
8- Nikolai Antropov, Atlanta: 76-24-43-67-(+13)
9- Jussi Jokinen, Carolina: 81-30-35-65-(+3)
10- Stephen Weiss, Florida: 80-28-32-60-(-7)
11- Brooks Laich, Washington: 78-25-34-59-(+16)
12- Rich Peverley, Atlanta: 82-22-33-55-(-14)
13- Mike Knuble, Washington: 69-29-24-53-(+23)
14- Tomas Fleischmann, Washington: 69-23-28-51-(+9)
15- Ryan Malone, Tampa Bay: 69-21-26-47-(-8)
16- Steve Downie, Tampa Bay: 79-22-24-46-(+14)
17- Niclas Bergfors, Atlanta: 81-21-23-44-(-10)
18- Michael Frolik, Florida: 82-21-22-43-(-4)
19- Brandon Sutter, Carolina: 72-21-19-40-(-1)
20- Simon Gagne, Tampa Bay: 58-17-23-40-(-1)
21- Eric Fehr, Washington: 69-21-18-39-(+18)
22- Andrew Ladd, Atlanta: 82-17-21-38-(+2)
23- Steve Reinprecht, Florida: 82-16-22-38-(-1)
24- Cory Stillman, Florida: 58-15-22-37-(-3)
25- Tuomo Ruutu, Carolina: 54-14-21-35-(-4)

Top 10 2010-11 Atlanta Thrashers Forwards by 2009-10 Overall Offensive Performance
RANK-PLAYER: GP-GOALS-ASSISTS-POINTS-(PLUS/MINUS)

1- Nikolai Antropov: 76-24-43-67-(+13)
2- Rich Peverley: 82-22-33-55-(-14)
3- Niclas Bergfors: 81-21-23-44-(-10)
4- Andrew Ladd: 82-17-21-38-(+2)
5- Dustin Byfuglien: 82-17-17-34-(-7)
6- Bryan Little: 79-13-21-34-(-6)
7- Evander Kane: 66-14-12-26-(+2)
8- Jim Slater: 61-11-7-18-(+1)
9- Ben Eager: 60-7-9-16-(+9)
10- Chris Thorburn: 76-4-9-13-(+6)

Top 10 2010-11 Carolina Hurricanes Forwards by 2009-10 Overall Offensive Performance
RANK-PLAYER: GP-GOALS-ASSISTS-POINTS-(PLUS/MINUS)

1- Eric Staal: 70-29-41-70-(+4)
2- Jussi Jokinen: 81-30-35-65-(+3)
3- Brandon Sutter: 72-21-19-40-(-1)
4- Tuomo Ruutu: 54-14-21-35-(-4)
5- Sergei Samsonov: 72-14-15-29-(-15)
6- Chad LaRose: 56-11-17-28-(-2)
7- Tom Kostopolous: 82-8-13-21-(+4)
8- Erik Cole: 40-11-5-16-(-9)
9- Patrick Dwyer: 58-7-5-12-(-3)
10- Zach Boychuk: 31-3-6-9-(+1)

Top 10 2010-11 Florida Panthers Forwards by 2009-10 Overall Offensive Performance
RANK-PLAYER: GP-GOALS-ASSISTS-POINTS-(PLUS/MINUS)

1- Stephen Weiss: 80-28-32-60-(-7)
2- Michael Frolik: 82-21-22-43-(-4)
3- Steve Reinprecht: 82-16-22-38-(-1)
4- Cory Stillman: 58-15-22-37-(-3)
5- Radek Dvorak: 76-14-18-32-(-7)
6- Rostislav Olesz: 78-14-15-29-(-4)
7- Steve Bernier: 59-11-11-22-(E)
8- Chris Higgins: 67-8-9-17-(-9)
9- Marty Reasoner: 80-4-3-17-(-3)
10- David Booth: 28-8-8-16-(-3)

Top 10 2010-11 Tampa Bay Lightning Forwards by 2009-10 Overall Offensive Performance
RANK-PLAYER: GP-GOALS-ASSISTS-POINTS-(PLUS/MINUS)

1- Steven Stamkos: 82-51-44-95-(-2)
2- Martin St. Louis: 82-29-65-94-(-8)
3- Vincent Lecavalier: 82-24-46-70-(-16)
4- Ryan Malone: 69-21-26-47-(-8)
5- Steve Downie: 79-22-24-46-(+14)
6- Simon Gagne: 58-17-23-40-(-1)
7- Dominic Moore: 69-10-18-28-(-3)
8- Teddy Purcell: 60-6-9-15-(-9)
9- Marc Pouliot: 35-7-7-14-(-4)
10- Nate Thompson: 71-2-8-10-(-17)

Top 10 2010-11 Washington Capitals Forwards by 2009-10 Overall Offensive Performance
RANK-PLAYER: GP-GOALS-ASSISTS-POINTS-(PLUS/MINUS)

1- Alexander Ovechkin: 72-50-59-109-(+45)
2- Nicklas Backstrom: 82-33-68-101-(+37)
3- Alexander Semin: 73-40-44-84-(+36)
4- Brooks Laich: 78-25-34-59-(+16)
5- Mike Knuble: 69-29-24-53-(+23)
6- Tomas Fleischmann: 69-23-28-51-(+9)
7- Eric Fehr: 69-21-18-39-(+18)
8- Jason Chimera: 78-15-19-34-(-1)
9- Matt Bradley: 77-10-14-24-(+6)
10- David Steckel: 79-5-11-16-(+4)

Numbers never tell the whole story but I think, as we peek at the forwards, one of the more prominent questions in this division will remain focused on scoring depth for Atlanta, Carolina and Florida, specifically, who all appear to be significantly behind Tampa Bay and certainly Washington, in terms of overall production. (We’re still in “on paper” mode, naturally, so much could change.)

As we forge forward and take a look at defense and goaltending, however, the pre-season stories will continue to evolve.

Defense up next, later this week.

JJ

jjordan79@tampabay.rr.com
JJ on Twitter
The Bolts Beat podcast, with Jon Jordan and Mike Corcoran

Filed in: NHL Teams, Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+ovechkin, alexander+semin, andrew+ladd, ben+eager, brandon+sutter, brooks+laich, bryan+little, chad+larose, chris+higgins, chris+thorburn, cory+stillman, david+booth, david+steckel, dominic+moore, dustin+byfuglien, eric+fehr, eric+staal, erik+cole, evander+kane, jason+chimera, jim+slater, jussi+jokinen, marc+pouliot, martin+st.+louis, marty+reasoner, matt+bradley, michael+frolik, mike+knuble, nate+thompson, nicklas+backstrom, niclas+bergfors, nikolai+antropov, patrick+dwyer, radek+dvorak, rich+peverley, rostislav+olesz, ryan+malone, sergei+samsonov, simon+gagne, simon+gagne, stephen+weiss, steve+bernier, steve+downie, steve+reinprecht, steven+stamkos, teddy+purcell, tom+kostopolous, tomas+fleischmann, tuomo+ruutu, vincent+lecavalier, zach+boychuk

Comments

Lindas1st's avatar

Eric Staal is better than a point a game player ( which is very good in the NHL).  I think this might be the season he gets back to or near his career high of 45 goals & 100 points in 05-06.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/09/10 at 01:56 AM ET

yeah Staal has all the tools to be a beast every single year so that wouldn’t surprise me.that is one hell of a talented hockey family. My homer opinion is the lightning can win this division this year or at least put up a good fight. But unbiased opinion I think Washington wins then Lightning, Carolina, Atlanta and Panthers fight for last two spots.

Panthers have a lot of good talent though and I think in two or three years they will be a great young team. Atlanta seems like they will have talent this year and then maybe next but lose it all after that and be right back were they were before. But I hope I’m wrong good competition makes the whole division strong and makes us ready for playoff hockey when it comes.  Not to mention give our division which has won 2 cups this decade and has at least 5 or 6 superstars some credibility… not sure why we don’t have any but it is what it is I guess.

Hey Jon maybe you could answer that last part in your mailbag next week on the bolts beat since you are covering the whole division now it will give you a chance to stand up and speak on behalf of the SOUTHEAST.

Posted by TBL FAN on 08/09/10 at 06:24 AM ET

Hard to take you seriously when you can’t get the best player in the league’s stats right. Ovechhkin was +45

Posted by flacco5 on 08/09/10 at 06:43 AM ET

Osrt's avatar

Ovechhkin was +45

Posted by flacco5

Why? It could just be a typo. The 1 and 4 are on top of each other on a numerical keyboard. He’s offering a statistical review of each team’s forwards not prognosticating their future performances.

Posted by Osrt on 08/09/10 at 08:02 AM ET

Moq's avatar

The same typo twice in an article isn’t that likely. I’m guessing he accidentally wrote down Crosby’s +/- number, because they’re situated close on the individual scoring list without filtering.

Washington still looks like the clear division favourite, the other four teams look reasonably close on paper with different strength and weaknesses. An improved defensive effort in Tampa bay could go a long way.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/09/10 at 09:11 AM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

Flacco/Mog, it was simple typo is all. (When I re-listed Ovechkin’s stats in the Caps team grouping, I copied and pasted from the division group.)

My mistake.

Thanks for correcting me. I’m fixing it now.

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 08/09/10 at 10:45 AM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

Lindas1st,

Health and offensive help will be a key factor in Staal improving upon his point-per-game numbers and, on paper, the Hurricanes offense doesn’t appear to be very deep. (They’re the only team in this group that has a player with single digit point totals - Zach Boychuk’s 9 - among their top ten scorers looking ahead to next season. Eek.)

They’ll need some young blood to step up (and, obviously, far better luck in the injury department than they had last season).

TBL FAN,

I’ll address the “lack of respect” for Southeast clubs, I’m sure, at some point. Fightin’ the good fight like I do and all…

As for division predictions, as we said on the last episode of The Bolts Beat, the Caps are still the Caps and have to be considered heavy favorites but this division is far from automatically theirs. The Lightning should at least be able to stay “in their neighborhood” for much of the season, as they APPEAR to be significantly improved, Atlanta has had an overhaul and looks to be better as well, Carolina can put the injury woes of last year behind them and the Panthers, at the very least, are headed in a new direction for their franchise with some solid young talent.

Again, it’s all on paper right now… Should be a fun division to keep tabs on!

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 08/09/10 at 10:52 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/09/10 at 11:12 AM ET

No problem. In contrast to basing your username on a NFL quarterback, typos are mostly minor mistakes and not grounds for dismissing an entire argument. “

I think he’s basing his username on his name.

Posted by NathanBC on 08/09/10 at 01:19 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

I think he’s basing his username on his name.

I think he was referring to “Flacco5”, as in Baltimore’s Joe.

Thanks, Mog. I’d never have caught the error of my misplaced pinky had it not been brought to my attention, though.

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 08/09/10 at 03:18 PM ET

Oh. Look at the new smart kid in town.

Posted by NathanBC on 08/09/10 at 05:45 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I think he was referring to “Flacco5”, as in Baltimore’s Joe.

Does “Flacco5” have anything to do with or the owner of the framed Panini patch cards on display in Baltimore at the NSCC?

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/09/10 at 10:05 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

I can’t speak to anything Baltimore, personally, though I’m sure it’s a tribute to Ravens QB Joe Flacco.

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 08/10/10 at 10:59 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

BTW JJ, I’m having trouble thinking of you as J-J, because as you already know there’s been J.J. from Kansas around here for a while. So I’ll think of you as “double J”. Okay?
Good thing you used your picture as your avatar (it is your pic-right?) because everytime I say Double J in my head I probably would’ve thought about Paul Pape.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/10/10 at 04:38 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

Well, Lindas1st, you can think of me however you like but it has always been a habit of mine to sign off with “JJ”.

I may have to purchae the rights, or work out some sort of deal with J.J. from Kansas but, as you can see, he goes with the traditional “perioded” initials, wheras I go without so maybe that’s enough of a distinction?

Clearly… We all need hockey season to start. smile

JJ