Some Of The Latest Trade Talk

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

Some quick thoughts on this Friday morning as the trade deadline approaches:

• The Kings are getting lots of interest in captain Dustin Brown. They may not move him in the end but are seeing what’s out there for him. Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia and the New York Rangers are among a long list of teams that have interest in the Team USA Olympian. One source told ESPN.com that the Kings would like to get defenseman Luke Schenn and highly touted forward prospect Matt Frattin from the Leafs in a Brown deal. My sense is that Toronto would find that price too rich, but GM Brian Burke—who had Brown on Team USA in 2010—really loves Brown.

• One NHL GM we spoke to Friday morning was stunned the Kings dealt blueliner Jack Johnson. Turns out he’s been in play for quite a while. One source told ESPN.com that the Flyers and Kings talked about a van Riemsdyk for Johnson swap a few weeks ago but it fizzled out.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

This Dustin Brown thing is getting out of hand already.

The guy is a bit overrated.  Not a lot, but a bit.  He plays for a team that quite frankly doesn’t have a lot of physical presence amongst their forwards save for him.  He gets credited for a lot of “hits” that probably aren’t, and it looks like his Hits are even trending downwards now at this point in his career.  Offensively he’s basically a 25 G/yr scorer and good for about 50-55 pts.

He’s a 2nd liner basically, and more a Glue guy on a 2nd line at that.  Valuable and a good soldier… but some of the ridiculous stuff I’ve seen today about him being a better pickup than even Rick Nash is just absurd.

I don’t know if Brown would be a good fit in DET.  I don’t want DET to go after Nash, but even I think Nash would fit a need more than Brown.

I don’t know where Brown goes to and is a difference-maker this year.  STL?  NJ?  OTT?  Holy heck, OTT.  That might be a good fit and an impact player for them.  Or maybe WAS takes a big chance on bringing him in to salvage a playoff spot?

Posted by Primis on 02/24/12 at 04:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Trade deadline craziness: Lombardi telling inquiring GMs that Dustin Brown is not available. Can’t wait until this is over.

-Elliotte Friedman via Twitter.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/24/12 at 05:25 PM ET

Can’t wait until this is over.

Isn’t it funny how the media harps on the trade deadline for so God damn long (when did TSN start advertising for TradeCentre, on July 2nd?) and now that it’s actually coming close and they’re dealing with exactly what they knew they’d be dealing with, they’re getting tired of it?

Posted by Garth on 02/24/12 at 06:03 PM ET

I don’t know much about Matt Frattin, so if he’s a real keeper then perhaps that changes things, but if I’m Brian Burke I do that deal every day. Trade what is essentially their 4th or 5th d-man (who’s young, granted) for a guy that slides into their top 6 and can make a difference. The Leafs are WAY too small and WAY too easy to push around up front. Brown is just what the doctor ordered in that sense.

I don’t think he makes as much sense in Ottawa, as suggested above. They need skill up front.

Posted by Chris M. from Ottawa on 02/24/12 at 06:06 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

And I agree with Garth.  That’s something.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/24/12 at 06:27 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

And I agree with Primis.  That’s something.

Seriously, Brown is a bit overrated.  He’s a decent enough scorer; he occasionally lays someone out with a big hit but the majority of the time he tags people.  Not really much of a passer, which would definitely be an issue in Detroit.  Can definitely be undisciplined in his play; far too many offensive zone penalties over the past few years.  Shouldn’t have been made captain, but that’s hardly his fault.  At the same time, he possesses an interesting combination of skills, so that makes him somewhat unique.

Pretty sure that I want him to stay in LA…but as part of a lineup that uses him on the 2nd and 3rd lines, not the top line.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 02/24/12 at 07:36 PM ET

And I agree with Garth.  That’s something.
And I agree with Primis.  That’s something.

I just walked home from work and you wouldn’t believe how many cats and dogs I saw living together..

Posted by Garth on 02/24/12 at 09:39 PM ET