Smoking In The Game

from Adrian Dater of Sports Illustrated,

When Mike Keenan arrived to coach the Blackhawks in 1988, he noticed something disturbing in his team’s dressing room at Chicago Stadium: ashtrays. Not just the squiggly-squared, amber-colored glass trays that populated most public places, but tall, regal-looking stands. Finished butts, dozens of them, had been given proper state funerals, or so it looked.

Keenan, no saint but never a smoker, was shocked.

“I had just come from Philadelphia, where there really weren’t a lot of guys who smoked,” he says. “But I walk in and see those ashtrays everywhere, and the first thing I told the guys was: ‘OK, no more smoking in the dressing room. If you gotta smoke, do it out in the hallway.’ So I’m coaching my first exhibition game and I go into the dressing room after the first period to talk, and there’s no one in there. I’m wondering what in hell is going on, and take a walk out to the other side of the hallway and the whole team is out there, smoking cigarettes.”

continue for more smoking stories…

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

This article makes me wanna throw in a lipper.

Posted by WhiteLightning91 from Detroit, MI on 02/29/12 at 10:02 PM ET

Cigars are as far as I’ll go.  I’ll do the Padron Robustos, Monte Cristos #2, and the Rodriguez Torpedos (which was my first cigar in over a year).

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/29/12 at 10:23 PM ET

you know makes me chuckle? whenever i’m around a group of smokers and I rip a fart, they’ll look at me like i’m the gross one… lol

Posted by kenora_guy from Kenora, ON on 02/29/12 at 10:42 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

It is possible for multiple people to be “gross.” smile

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 03/01/12 at 02:29 AM ET

Posted by kenora_guy from Kenora, ON on 02/29/12 at 07:42 PM ET

You are.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 03/01/12 at 12:31 PM ET

Different world back then.  Most guys started smoking during WW II and it became very widespread.  I guess they figured if they survived that why worry about anything.  Just enjoy life.  People today haven’t really seen bad times.

Posted by 13 user names on 03/01/12 at 10:20 PM ET