Slava Voynov Plea Deal

added 2:50pm, more via Hammond tweet,

DA says conviction will result in Voynov deportation. Defense is objecting to that, saying it is not mandatory. Some debate.

Judge clarifies that possible Voynov deportation is a matter for immigration court, not this court.

added 2:52pm, Hammond...

Judge has accepted plea agreement.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: slava+voynov

Comments

shazam88's avatar

I should have chosen sports law as my practice. Been spending so much time following Kings’ legal woes and reading briefs in the ‘yotes case.

But damn, Lombardi looks horrible if he brings VV back…assuming Immigration doesn’t move to deport him. Fwiw, I put the over / under for actual time he serves up in LA county at 7 days.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/02/15 at 03:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Hammond also tweets Voynov must surrender no later than July 14th.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/15 at 03:12 PM ET

Wait…. an athlete is paying for something he did?

Posted by neffernin on 07/02/15 at 03:21 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Wait…. an athlete is paying for something he did?

Posted by neffernin on 07/02/15 at 03:21 PM ET

Haha no kidding. But it’s all relative to how much you’re willing and able to spend on legal fees. Many, many people with less money for good representation would have had the felony stick (with possible enhancements for great bodily harm) and gotten 2 plus years at 85%, so this rich athlete got off rather easily.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/02/15 at 03:29 PM ET

Chet's avatar

shamzam, what and where do you practice? i’m in LA.

kings are hypocrites if they don’t terminate his contract as well, right?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/02/15 at 04:53 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

shamzam, what and where do you practice? i’m in LA.

kings are hypocrites if they don’t terminate his contract as well, right?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/02/15 at 04:53 PM ET

Hi Chet. Half the decent Kings bloggers are lawyers, lol. I’m in OC…looking to set up in Irvine since it’s definitely become the hub these days but I’m nearby at the moment. Mostly patents but also random transactional matters for some small tech (bio or energy-related) companies for whom I’m basically an underpaid, frequently ignored (nobody likes the truth, amirite?) counsel. How about you?

And yes, I’m the first to admit that it’ll look 100% opportunistic / hypocritical if we hang on to VV. Ofc we all get the various rationalizations behind the different approaches to Stoll (expiring contract), Voynov (legal system, probably his “first offense” in the eyes of DL) and Richards (perhaps his second offense plus he sucks these days and told DL to his face that he’d turn things around) but still. Perception no es bueno. And I absolutely love what VV brings to the team. I think he’s possibly the best value defenseman in the league, given his modest salary.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/02/15 at 05:43 PM ET

He should probably receive some kind of discipline from the league but I don’t think it should go much further than that.  10 games + enrollment in some kind of anti-domestic violence program (perhaps for the amount of time that covers his probation).  Nothing is worse than the way the NFL handled their situation with Peterson.

If the court was smart and VV wanted to play ball perhaps he could do some work in the community as well as a trade-off for being able to travel during his probationary period.

I don’t think getting in trouble for a misdemeanor gets you kicked out of the country automatically…. if that was the case my father in law would have been kicked out ages ago smile  Perhaps depends on your visa.

That being said, I’m an IT guy, not a lawyer!

Posted by neffernin on 07/02/15 at 05:51 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

^^ It’s “crimes of moral turpitude” that can get non-citizens deported. There’s no straightforward definition, but domestic violence would typically fall under that rubric. Still, I’m sure he’ll be able to fend off deportation since he won’t be using one of those immigration attorneys with an office right across the street from the DMV.

Additionally, Canada makes it difficult to enter with a criminal background. I have businessmen with DUIs that need to go through a pre-clearance process to get the ok to make border crossings.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/02/15 at 06:20 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

If I remember correctly Roy did about the same thing to his wife… don’t know the exact details in either case.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 07/02/15 at 06:22 PM ET

Beyond the 76 game (and counting?) suspension he has already been given?

That’s 56 games longer than Todd Bertuzzi, who basically gave a guy brain damage.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/15 at 06:24 PM ET