Signed With A Sharpie

I must admit, I was starting to get a little worried about Patrick Sharp going into his final year without a contract. But now, I can put my worries else where. The HAWKS and Sharpie have come to term on a contract extension. Although I could not find any details yet on the official Blackhawks website, the deal, as reported by WSCR, The Score radio station in Chicago, will be 5 more years at roughly $5.9 million. This, of course, will not take effect until the 2012 - 2013 season.

However, according to the Hawks website:

“Sharp, 29, paced the Blackhawks and shared eighth in the National Hockey League with 34 goals, and ranked third on the club with a career-high 71 points (34G, 37A) in 74 regular-season contests during the 2010-11 campaign. He also finished second on the team with three goals and added two assists in seven games during the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and was honored as the Most Valuable Player of the 2011 NHL All-Star Game.”

This move makes sense to me. Getting a contract extension has to be a relief for a player BEFORE a season starts, regardless of what they all say. I also believe that you want to get the deal done and avoid arbitration. The last to arbitration deals (Niemei & Campoli) resulted in players having to move on due to the money awarded.

So now we got, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford settled in for a while. A pretty good core, I must say.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Vince Maranto, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: patrick+sharp

Comments

awould's avatar

I’d say Crawford is a TBD after just one season as a starter. Columbus thought they had the next great goalie after one season with Mason and look how that’s turned out.

Posted by awould on 08/03/11 at 05:03 PM ET

perfection's avatar

though, Crawford aside,  Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook really are a pretty amazing core and YOUNG too.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 08/03/11 at 07:06 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by perfection from Chicago on 08/03/11 at 06:06 PM ET

Yes they are. I do think Seabrook is overpaid and overrated. I don’t understand how he makes anything close to Keith’s wage. I know Keith is on a super-long-term deal which stretches things out, but still.

Kane is a phenomenal talent but he’s got the work ethic of a 20 year old with an overblown sense of entitlement. Oh wait….

Toews, as much as I hate to compliment a Blackhawk, is just awesome. I think he’s the closest to a young Stevie Y as there is. He’s got a long way to go to live up to that comparison, but he’s well on his way.

Hossa is Hossa. I was not happy when he left Detroit.

Anyways, it’s fun to have the rivalry mean something again.

Posted by awould on 08/03/11 at 07:52 PM ET

5.9 cap hit wow overpaid…more than hossa really (overpaiid as well) ryan kesler is a 5mil. hit and a way better player than both of them…why when I here hawk fans talk I always here “core”...is it because outside their core looks very weak?

Posted by mike on 08/04/11 at 03:19 AM ET

fyi…sharp isnt very young 30…he has about 5 prime years left

Posted by mike on 08/04/11 at 03:21 AM ET

@mike

I do believe perfection is a wings fan, based on his avatar, but he just lives in chicago

Posted by pstumba on 08/04/11 at 10:48 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m a Wings fan too and I’m impressed by the Hawks’ core.

The reason people talk about that is because it’s a component of a successful strategy. Teams can put together a collection of talent and have no real core, which can cost them.  Of course the role players are important (see: Line, Grind), but there has to be a strong nucleus to a team.  I believe Chicago has one.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/04/11 at 11:22 AM ET

the “core ” question was obligatory and not aimed at any particular person…just was an afterthought cause the word core was used twice before I posted it was already obvious to me that they are wings fans….having said that it is in my opinion that the verdict is still out on their core im still skeptical of keith, seabrook, crawford (too early to tell) and hossa (bad playoff performer) that leaves toews who is gonna be brilliant and kane who has amazing hands just (as previously stated) needs to get his legs moving at times…..sorry to strike a cord with the “core” comment it really took away from what I was reallly trying to express there and that was sharp is being grossly overpaid as with most players signed recently leino burns ect.

Posted by mike on 08/04/11 at 08:20 PM ET