Sidney Crosby Is No LeBron James

via John Steigerwald at the Indiana (PA.) Gazette,

Sidney Crosby wins again.

I think it’s safe to say that Sidney Crosby is the LeBron James of the NHL. Valid arguments can be made that he’s not the best player in the league but just about everybody would agree that he’s the face of the league. Can you imagine him being involved in a circus like the one that LeBron James starred in Thursday night?

Never happen. Too much class.

You know you’re dealing with a guy who has lost all perspective when he starts referring to himself in the third person.

Thursday night James said, ``I did what I thought was best for LeBron James,’’ when asked about his decision to sign with the Miami Heat.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Crosby (or Mario Lemieux, for that matter) refer to himself by name and I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that I never will.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: lebron+james, sidney+crosby

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Evilpenis…

You want to admit defeat in your silly ueberdouche argument, or are you a wittle boy and can’t admit to fault?

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/11/10 at 06:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Everybody, please ease up on the name calling.  You know I don’t like it, sounds real childish and I know most of you aren’t.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/11/10 at 06:03 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Should we start comparing the Norris trophy count of Lidstrom and Crosby too?  Draper is a defensive forward, a great one at that.  Crosby is an offensive forward, and a great one at that as well.

Oh, got it.  I guess the same can be said for the other three Wing Selke winners:  Fedorov, Yzerman and Datsyuk.  All of them more complete players than Rosby.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/11/10 at 06:06 PM ET

Maybe you are used to people takling about Crosby as the best player at every aspect, but that’s not me.  Look closely, and you’ll see I called Crosby a better “offensive” player.  As I recall, there are both offensive and defensive aspects to the game of hockey.  Is Crosby a complete player?  No.  But he is one of the more dominant offensive players in the game now.  Will Crosby be one of the best players ever?  Almost certainly not.  But none of that takes away from the fact that Crosby is one of the best forwards in the game now.  Crosby will never challenge Zetter or Datsyuk as one of the best complete players in the game.  But the NHL is a goal scoring competition, so I think most people who aren’t anti-Crosby will be satisfied with him being a top point producer.

Posted by CoolJ90 on 07/11/10 at 06:15 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by CoolJ90 on 07/11/10 at 04:15 PM ET

cool

The finals game is a real downer btw.,Dutch with some extremly dirty play,spanish cant get in the groove,kinda dissapointing,hope it doesnt end with penalty kicks.

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/11/10 at 06:26 PM ET

Has anyone ever argued that they aren’t at this point in Crosby’s career?  I mean, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are both better defensive players, as well they should both.  They are 9 years and 7 years older than Crosby.  They both should be more complete players.  But why use logic when you can just bash, bring up Selke trophies which have nothing to do with anything, or count Tuesdays.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/11/10 at 09:15 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Because they are Red Wings fans, aka, insecure losers whose best joke is Rosby. Yep. That’s as smart as they come.

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 10:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 08:04 PM ET

How is this relevant? Dumbest statement ever made.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/10 at 10:19 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

You MORON he suckered Punched Him from Behind & that would Have Landed him in Jail for Assault

What crest was on Bertuzzi’s chest in that game? It was a despicable event that the coach ordered up.  AFAIK, Marc Crawford was never even considered for a coaching job in either Detroit or Pittsburgh (or for the Cleveland Cavs if we want to stay on topic).

CS - please quit while you’re behind.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/11/10 at 10:38 PM ET

Eh, I won’t paint any fan base with a wide brush.  Take JJ for instance.  I find reading his posts, for the most part, are not only logical and intellectual, but mostly on point.  Same with Baroque.  I enjoy reading their responses, regardless of topic.  I dislike the Flyers, but if a Flyers fan comes up with a logical retort to whatever hockey issue on here, I try not to discredit it just because they are a fan of Philly.  The differing opinions are what make this place great, but it also leads to the pissing contests that are like this thread.  It’s why I don’t post nearly as often as I could here, because repeating the same arguments gets tiring after awhile.  Although I am no saint when it comes to said arguments.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/11/10 at 10:41 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

How is this relevant? Dumbest statement ever made.

How original. You learned new words today. Congratulations.

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 11:44 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

...the Wings have won 7 out of the last 16 Selke’s with four different players.

The Pens have won 13 out of the last 23 Art RossTrophies with four different players. That’s a better percentage and it’s an award that’s based on facts not sujective sports writers.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/12/10 at 12:01 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Thanks, Pens fan in Baltimore.  I appreciate that there is a decent amount of intelligent Penguins fans who enjoy doing more than slinging mud.

Back on point, I do think the Ovechkin as LeBron and Crosby as Kobe argument is still the right one.  I’ve already said why I think Ovi and James are similar, but here’s Crosby to Kobe.

They’re both leaders on their team and have experience winning, but not always with being the best player on the team as they were winning (a statement about willingness to work rather than ability to shine, mind you).  Both players are known for giving fairly vanilla interviews.  Both players are liked primarily in their home market, but disliked elsewhere (realizing of course that this is true for most players, but pointing out that these guys draw slightly stronger feelings from the fanbases than most).

Again, hockey wins… For all the negative things to say about Crosby, he’s never gotten himself involved in a rape scandal.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/10 at 12:32 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

A better comparison is Crosby to Tim Tebow. Both are great players and yet are extremely polarizing. Seriously, all Paul has to do is post a story about Crosby and he’ll get 50+ posts from the haters and supporters, arguing equally ludacris points. Never made much sense to me. Its like arguing about a player like Sundin, but taken to the nth degree. Great player, yes, but historically great figure, not so much.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 07/12/10 at 02:35 AM ET

Reggie Dunlop's avatar

Why does this site have to be dominated by deadthings and penis fans who love to cry at each other?

Posted by Reggie Dunlop on 07/12/10 at 03:35 AM ET

Claude from Colorado's avatar

Should I assume all the Red Wings fans in this forum who are self-righteous about Crosby’s handshake faux pas never had a problem with Chris Chelio’s outright intentional snub of the Ducks in 2007?

Crosby made a mistake. Chelios made a decision.

Posted by Claude from Colorado on 07/12/10 at 07:05 AM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by Claude from Colorado on 07/12/10 at 05:05 AM ET

are you claiming that you’re making a point?
Chelios did the right thing,the thing that others should do to lowlife players

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/12/10 at 07:10 AM ET

Claude from Colorado's avatar

@edillac, so the rest of the Red Wings did the wrong thing by shaking hands with all those lowlife Ducks?

The rules - written or unwritten - apply to everyone, not just everyone but the Red Wings.

Chelios should get as much scorn for his mistake as Crosby from the self-appointed enforcers of the rules such as yourself.

Posted by Claude from Colorado on 07/12/10 at 07:20 AM ET

edillac's avatar

Chelli made his own decision,as should everyone else,I personally dont care about Penguins not shaking Lidstroms hand,they were busy giving on ice interviews,that was truly important.
Handshake is a gesture of friendship and good intentions,if you feel that someone is/was trying to hurt you or be unfair it is your right to decline them the ‘‘everything is forgotten’’ act.
Should you force a person to forgive and forget?

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/12/10 at 08:20 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

You know, any microbiologist will tell you that shaking hands is an extremely unsanitary habit that should probably be phased out entirely in favor of something less germy like bumping elbows or just bowing with no physical contact whatsoever. smile

If something that is a premise on which everyone clearly agrees (LeBron =/= Crosby) leads to such a long-winded argument, clearly some of you have no need to spend time mowing lawns, watering shrubs, or painting garages, among other things. If you visit me I promise I’d find things to keep you busy until October.

But I suspect if you check your own summer “to do” list you can find enough to keep you out of silly pointless arguments. So get to work. LOL

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/12/10 at 09:42 AM ET