Sidney Crosby Is No LeBron James

via John Steigerwald at the Indiana (PA.) Gazette,

Sidney Crosby wins again.

I think it’s safe to say that Sidney Crosby is the LeBron James of the NHL. Valid arguments can be made that he’s not the best player in the league but just about everybody would agree that he’s the face of the league. Can you imagine him being involved in a circus like the one that LeBron James starred in Thursday night?

Never happen. Too much class.

You know you’re dealing with a guy who has lost all perspective when he starts referring to himself in the third person.

Thursday night James said, ``I did what I thought was best for LeBron James,’’ when asked about his decision to sign with the Miami Heat.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Crosby (or Mario Lemieux, for that matter) refer to himself by name and I’d be willing to bet a lot of money that I never will.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: lebron+james, sidney+crosby

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

IwoCPO's avatar

Well…hmm. I’d say they’re similar in a couple respects.  Rosby has no problem sprinting to the media at interesting times…like in the midst of the traditional handshake line after a Cup final.  And both have unusually close relationships with their respective sport’s commissioners.  I don’t believe Lebron James is David Stern’s adopted daughter like Thid is to Gary, but it’s probably something kinda like that.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/11/10 at 11:34 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I’m not a basketball fan (at all), but I always kind of thought that Kobe Bryant was the face of the NBA. He’s with a far more prominent historic franchise in the Lakers, his jersey has to be one of the best sellers in the league, and he’s won tons of championships, and not as a carpetbagger who knows he can’t carry a team so he’ll go someplace where there is someone else who knows how to win and can carry him around.

LeBron is a marketing giant, but hasn’t won squat yet.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/11/10 at 11:51 AM ET

Wow. You pathetic pieces of crap are still whining about the handshake? Do you really need another Penguins blogger to show you the timestamped evidence that Sid made it to the handshake line just as fast as Lidstrom did the year before? The only difference is that Sid isn’t a bitchy terrible loser like Lidstrom is and didn’t run of the ice crying only to bitch about it later.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 07/11/10 at 11:58 AM ET

edillac's avatar

whatever,they are both whiney assholes,both are also products. One is a good mannered,honest,always says the right thing to the media product for midlle class - mostly white northern americans,you know; the hollier than thau crowd. Other is a product for the underprivileged minorities who have to overcome many obstacles to make it in life,so he is cocky,overlyconfident,and so on. It’s how the market functions. Both are,unfortunately,stereotypes of certain parts of north american population.

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/11/10 at 12:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Kstewy16 on 07/11/10 at 09:58 AM ET

As long as we’re arguing tired points of view and misconceptions, I’d like to remind you that LIdstrom isn’t the one who complained to the media about Sid and handshakegate.  That was Kris Draper.  If you want to call him a bitch, then be my guest.  I don’t give a shit one way or another.  Kris Draper has more Stanley Cups than the entire Penguins franchise.

I agree with Baroque that Kobe is more the face of the NBA.  I think a better comparison for LeBron is Ovechkin.  Neither has won a championship and both are known for being a bit selfish.  How nice is it from a hockey standpoint though that, even at his worse, Ovechkin is not even one-tenth as conceited as LeBron has shown himself this summer.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/10 at 12:23 PM ET

“Too much class.”

Yep, John, that’s exactly what comes to mind when I think about Crosby asking the refs in DC to make the crowd stop cheering and throwing hats on the ice for their player’s first post-season hat trick in decades.  Class.  Class.  Class.

Both are pricks and so is Steigerwald - the Ueberdouche…

Nothing new here…

And here come the insane Pens fans to the rescue of their louche superstar…
Queue the morons!

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/11/10 at 12:31 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

It’s not even the conceit that bothers me at all - any professional athlete has to have a bit of arrogance or he would have washed out long ago, it’s just a matter of how arrogantly they present themselves.

What bothers me is the sadistic nature of the announcement. He had every right to leave, no obligation to stay after his contract was up, and no reason to stay with one team just because it was his home state.

But there was no reason at all to publicly humiliate them on television for no good reason. It’s like breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend in a public place and using words specifically chosen to hurt them the most. Cruelty with absolutely no point other than hurting someone else.

I’ll give LeBron this, though - most men and women take a lot longer than their mid-twenties to become amoral, self-absorbed, manipulative sadists. If it was his decision to do this he’s ahead of the curve - and if it wasn’t his decision to do this but his handlers, then he better watch out because if he is that easily led then his people will take him for everything and toss him aside when he’s no longer useful to them.

Either way the whole thing is just sad.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/11/10 at 01:07 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Lebron created far more bandwagon fans than Kobe. The Calfs couldn’t fill an arena half way before him, now they sell out every game. That’s remarkably similar.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/11/10 at 01:24 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Both are pricks and so is Steigerwald - the Ueberdouche…

Nothing new here…

And here come the insane Pens fans to the rescue of their louche superstar…
Queue the morons!

Might want to learn how to spell words before you Belittle yourself for Misspelling them Mr. Matt Cooke is a Goon LOL LEARN HOCKEY & LEARN HOW TO SPELL TOO !!

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 01:52 PM ET

Regarding the handshake, I still don’t get why it’s a big deal.  When the Pens lost, did Sid not shake hands with Lidstrom?  Wouldn’t it have been worse if he didn’t shake his hand in 2008 and then did in 2009?  Like JJ said, Lidstrom never said a word about it.

My problem with the whole thing wasn’t even the fact Lebron went to Miami, but the way he did it was so unnecessary.  Baroque is spot on with her assessment.

And here come the insane Pens fans to the rescue of their louche superstar…
Queue the morons!

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I’m not a local) on 07/11/10 at 10:31 AM ET

And here come the morons who do nothing but complain about Crosby.  It goes both ways and fans of all teams do it.  Case in point, look when something negative about the Red Wings get posted here.  There’s nothing wrong with that.  We’re all fans of teams and of course, people are going to stick up for their teams.  That’s just the way it goes.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/11/10 at 01:54 PM ET

Learn how to spell?

Is that your retort?
Wow!  Shocking.

And, by the way, I ran a spell check.
There are no errors.
You are now the prick…

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/11/10 at 02:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Learn how to spell?

Is that your retort?
Wow!  Shocking.

And, by the way, I ran a spell check.
There are no errors.
You are now the prick…

Might want to try again Jr.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uber douche

try Again Mr Matt Cooke is a Goon hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 02:50 PM ET

As I said…. Queue the morons.

Ueberdouche is actually spelled correctly.  “Ueber” in German is spelled with an umlaut.  When a computer system doesn’t have an umlaut (and I have yet to find one here on KK), the correct spelling is to insert an “e” after the vowel that possesses the umlaut.  Hence “Ueber” is positively correct.

See, not only are you a moron, I’m prescient…

I might not want to try again, Buster.  However, you might want to read a little more.  Or at very least a little more than the urbandictionary…  Jeez… You in the 5th grade?

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/11/10 at 03:08 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Handshake?

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/11/10 at 03:10 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Kris Draper has more Stanley Cups than the entire Penguins franchise.

So. Randy Gregg has 5 Stanley Cup rings.
I will agree with you on this though:

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/11/10 at 03:16 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Kris Draper has more Stanley Cups than the entire Penguins franchise.

So. Randy Gregg has 5 Stanley Cup rings.

And Draper also has one more Selke Award than Rosby will ever earn.  Oh, and while we’re at it…the Wings have won 7 out of the last 16 Selke’s with four different players.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/11/10 at 03:25 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Kris Draper has more Stanley Cups than the entire Penguins franchise.

How is this relevant. Dumbest statement ever made.

Crosby rented a charity suite for every Penguins home game at the Mellon Arena. I’d like to think he’ll do the same at the new arena. He also visits children’s hospitals on a frequent basis. Class. Class. Class.

Regarding the handshake, I still don’t get why it’s a big deal.

Because Red Wings fans are whiney losers.

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 03:26 PM ET

Again… Queue the morons!

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/11/10 at 03:29 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Again… Queue the morons!

I pointed out how classy and unselfish Crosby is, and that’s the response? And you’re calling other uberdouches?

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 03:32 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Class. Class. Class.

Curious…is it just Wing fans who think Rosby is a petulant little bitch, or maybe everyone but subjective Pens fans?  I wonder what his fellow players think of him?  I’ll do the research and get back to you.

Oh, and I’m all for subjectivity.  I understand it and often revel in it.  But the fact remains that even if I hadn’t had to deal with his dives after the Maltby taps, his attempted slap fights with our goalies, his sobbing press conference jabs at Zetterberg after losses…even if I was objective?  He’d still be a bitch.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/11/10 at 03:33 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Who is this Rosby guy?

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 03:36 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

@Unicorn force, I really believe Crosby could you right you a check for $1 million, and you would complain about him not giving you $2 million.

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 03:37 PM ET

Listen here, Christy Solowkowski 6687…

You really need for me to explain to you how my statement is relevant?  What sort of peabrain are you running upstairs?  It is entirely relevant to point out that Mr. Crosby has acted without any class at specific moments.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure he’s shown flashes of decency as well.  But if Steigerwald wants to pump Sidney Sunshine up me arse, I’m going to have to reject it.  Just like I’m going to have to reject the notion that you are well-educated.  What’s wrong with you?  Seriously?  Is it me, or is Mog the ONLY intelligent voice speaking for the Pens?

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/11/10 at 03:38 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I’m not sure about the general population, but I think Boris Valabik’s sack probably agree with Wings fans.

Just a hunch.

(note:  There is no statute of limitations on punching someone from behind, in the groin, while a teammate holds them.  None.)

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/11/10 at 03:43 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Lame nickname. Nice try, though. I never asked you for an explanation. I just pointed out how irrelevant it was.

Crosby has had his moments when he has lost his composure. So has Lemieux. It doesn’t mean they’re not classy individuals. Have you ever played a sport? Do you know that your emotions can get the best of you at times? I’m not defending everything Crosby has done. When you look at everything OBJECTIVELY AND USE FACTS, you can easily conclude that Crosby is a mature-beyond-his years 22 years of age.

Posted by cs6687 on 07/11/10 at 03:46 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

...the Wings…

Ahh the Wings. It’s good to have you back Chief, “cause nobody and I mean nobody can turn a column that has nothing to do with the Detroit Red Wings into a debate about how the Red Wings are the greatest gift to mankind.

BTW Chief , how’s life on the Left Coast? Have you been working on your Kings chant?

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/11/10 at 04:10 PM ET

I dunno—I’m a Wings fan and (blasphemy) something of a Crosby fan. He’s had his petulant moments, but they’ve become fewer and fewer as he’s matured. He’s a guy who leads his team, who owns up after defeats and plays as hard as possible every single night.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare him to LeBron at ALL ... I think Ovechkin is much closer to that faux-superstar, brand-conscious arrogance than Crosby, but even Ovechkin is a long way from admitting to the world he can’t lead his team to victory and then signing on with the Wings or Pens.

Really and truly, the only hockey player close to LeBron status right now (just based on the pure facts of the situation) is Hossa. And even Wings and Pens fans should agree on that.

And as much as I like and respect Sid and enjoy watching him play, don’t get it twisted: Henrik Zetterberg is the most complete hockey player on the planet. Period.

Posted by Jayo on 07/11/10 at 04:12 PM ET

edillac's avatar

no,just typical midlle class media stunts,they work for his immage as an good old neighbour type,smallville white boy with christian background. It is what it is,his on ice behaviour is criminal when compared to Lids,Pasha or Z.

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/11/10 at 04:24 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Calling anyone mature at 22 years old is LOL funny. Do I think Crosby would do something like this. No. Not because of some percieved class though. Crosby is too corporate for a stunt like this. His boys aren’t running his brand name, corporate suits are.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 07/11/10 at 04:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

How is this relevant. Dumbest statement ever made.

I’m not the one who brought up the handshake, which is also of questionable relevance.  If we’re only going to talk about things that are specifically on-point then most of the comments, including nearly all of yours, should be deleted.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/10 at 04:50 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Is it me, or is Mog the ONLY intelligent voice speaking for the Pens?

UMMM Mr. Matt Cooke is a Goon Hockey Maven it is Moq, & you’re so JEALOUS of Crosby it OOZES out of every poor of your Body hahahaha

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 05:12 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Umm How About bertuzzi Douchebag ?? If he di on the street what he did on the Ice to Steven Moore he would be In Jail for Years !! So STFU Window Licker

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 05:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

In fairness, Bertuzzi doesn’t wear a letter on his chest.

Still, if attacking people from behind is a problem, then we could start talking about Boris Valabik again.

Yeah, yeah, I know punching somebody in the back of the head is very different from punching him in the nutsack, but it’s not that different.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/10 at 05:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OHH BOY he Punched someone in The Cup !! OH I bet that hurt Huh?? Grow Up !!

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 05:29 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& that is all ....................................... BYE NOW !!

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 05:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Are you saying that Sidney Crosby lacks the strength to injure a man with a punch to the softest part of his entire body?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/10 at 05:33 PM ET

edillac's avatar

lets leave Bert out of this one,we will never know if maybe all the players jumping on top of Bert and Moore actually broke the poor guy’s neck,it was a thugish move and if it happened on the street there would probably be gunshooting involved. But punching someone in the nuts from behind while your guy is strangling him is just not done,ever.
And as UMFan said,charity stunts are just corporate moves,nothing personal.

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/11/10 at 05:36 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

You MORON he suckered Punched Him from Behind & that would Have Landed him in Jail for Assault

Posted by Evilpens on 07/11/10 at 05:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

We’re still talking about Crosby on Valabik, right?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/11/10 at 05:45 PM ET

And Draper also has one more Selke Award than Rosby will ever earn.

Which means what exactly?  Should we start comparing the Norris trophy count of Lidstrom and Crosby too?  Draper is a defensive forward, a great one at that.  Crosby is an offensive forward, and a great one at that as well.  Draper is never going to win an Art Ross or Hart trophy, but that’s fine, because that’s not what he is paid for, nor expected to achieve.  Crosby won’t win a Selke trophy either, and that’s fine, because he’s paid to put up the points for Pittsburgh.

Checking a guy from behind is worse, and that won’t land you in jail.  The only way a hockey player ends up in jail is if he uses his skate as a weapon, or deliberately uses the stick to severely injure.

Posted by CoolJ90 on 07/11/10 at 06:00 PM ET