Sidney Crosby Out With A Concussion

via the Pittsburgh Penguins,

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has been diagnosed with a concussion, it was announced by Executive Vice President and General Manager Jim Rutherford.

Crosby sat out Saturday's preseason game vs. Columbus because he was not feeling well, and missed practice today to undergo concussion testing.

Crosby's status will be updated when more information is available. The Penguins open the regular season Thursday night against Washington at PPG Paints Arena.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Paul's avatar

Mike Sullivan told media Crosby received the concussion at practice of Friday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 10/10/16 at 01:35 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

With friends like that ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 10/10/16 at 01:41 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Not a Pens fan but this news is potentially not good.  Gary, hyper ventilating in New York

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/10/16 at 02:34 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

I’m no Crosby fan, but you never want to see a guy sidelined with an injury, especially of that sort. If it were any easier to play the body on him, he’d probably be out of the league after taking that Steckel hit and the puck to the face.

Posted by RedMenace from The Bud Light Pit of Misery on 10/10/16 at 03:16 PM ET

awould's avatar

Sucks.

Posted by awould on 10/10/16 at 04:01 PM ET

Something seems off. Penguins beat writers watched the entire Friday practice and didn’t see anything at all with Sid. Speculation floating around that this occurred during the World Cup but was hidden for some reason. Either way, he is smart enough to eventually retire if this becomes another setback like the last one he had. What else does he have to prove?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 10/10/16 at 04:31 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I know. Bettman was at the White House with Pittsburgh at the White House. I don’t recall Bettman being at the White House with any other Cup winning team. I do hope Crosby has a full recovery.  grrr

Posted by bigfrog on 10/10/16 at 09:36 PM ET

I know he has a ton of passion for the game but if I’m Crosby I have to seriously think about doing what Calvin Johnson did and walk away from the game while I still have good quality of life. He’s accomplished just about everything one could accomplish as a hockey player. How many concussions is this? There is a lot of life after hockey.

I doubt he does it. He has a ton of years left on his contract (through 2025) and it would create a serious cap issue if he couldn’t stay on LTIR. If he did go the LTIR route I imagine there would be teams challenging whether or not that was “legal” as he “recovered”. I really don’t know how a team would prove that a player is suffering from post concussion symptoms. Is it enough for a player to say “I just don’t feel 100%”?

Posted by evileye on 10/11/16 at 09:18 AM ET