Should The Penguins Name A Temporary Captain?

from Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

The only thing more absurd than the notion that Crosby doesn’t want to play hockey is that he’s conspiring to get out of town.

It’s dead wrong.

You’re going to hear some of this stuff Friday when Crosby faces reporters at about noon in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. But let me lay this out now: The Penguins, the public and, yes, Crosby all need to learn how to handle this situation better in the future.

That begins with the locker room.

A few, certainly not all, of Crosby’s teammates are of the mind that he’s been symptom-free for a while, though they have no medical basis for that. Some think he should be playing. Some simply think he should be doing more to communicate, or at least be as visible as concussed defenseman Kris Letang.

Last week in Pittsburgh, according to three sources, a group of players held a 45-minute meeting to discuss a temporary captaincy. Another source disputed that any such meeting occurred.

If it did, were those players kidding?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Anyone interested in reading more on this topic may want to check out the author’s blog post today

Lots of comments questioning what is going on in that locker room and some responses from Dejan also.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 01/13/12 at 02:12 PM ET

I don’t have a problem with people wanting a temporary captain Sid is out.  For all intents and purposes, he’s been out for an entire year.  I would think it odd if at least some players weren’t starting to wonder if maybe there should actually be someone on the ice, playing every day, with a C on his shirt.

Having said that, it’s disgusting that anyone would actually think he should be playing just because he (might be) symptom free.  This isn’t a bone bruise or a pulled muscle, this is a concussion and I can’t comprehend how anyone on the team could even entertain the idea that he should be playing through it.  That is ridiculous.

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 02:29 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

If they do name one, it can’t be anyone but Brooks Orpik.

I don’t know what to make of all this stuff.  Tough times for Pens fans right now.  Things haven’t been this bad for a long time.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 01/13/12 at 02:38 PM ET

Posted by NathanBC on 01/13/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Things haven’t been this bad for a long time.

You’re not kidding.  I don’t pay that much attention to what’s going on in the East, but I checked it last night and was surprised to see that the Pens are on the outside looking in right now.  I didn’t think they were near the top of the conference but I just assumed that they were in the middle of the playoff pack…

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 02:53 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/13/12 at 11:53 AM ET

They’re on a 6 game losing streak and 10 or 12 points behind the Rangers, before that it was a 4 game winning streak and they were in the division lead.

Posted by NathanBC on 01/13/12 at 02:58 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m no real fan of Crosby whatsoever, but I think the notion that he’s holding out or something is ludicrous.  That just strikes me as beyond reality… if nothing else he’s too competitive a person to just sit out.

I also think the notion of renaming a temporary captain is a bit silly.  Does nobody in Pittsburgh wear an “A”?  In the C’s absence, that’s THEIR job and if they’re not doing it, they need to be stripped of it and/or moved out of town.  The captaincy is one thing, but the C and A’s are *supposed* to represent a leadership group.

I think Pittsburgh’s problems though are that their forwards aren’t deep great, and their defense is below the level where they thought it was.  Bad combination to then also have Crosby out again, because Malkin’s really good but simply can’t carry the team on his back.

Posted by Primis on 01/13/12 at 07:00 PM ET