Should Lindros Be In The HHOF?

from Mike Brophy of Sportsnet,

Eric Lindros is a Hall of Famer.

No question about it.

The question is, will he be made to pay the price for being a controversial figure during his too short, but nonetheless illustrious career? Will he be held out of the Hall when the latest additions are announced next week—the first time he is eligible to be inducted—only to be inducted down the road?

With 372 goals and 865 points in 760 career games, Lindros’s numbers speak for themselves. He added another 24 goals and 57 points in 53 playoff games. You don’t average better than a point per game in the regular season and in the playoffs if you aren’t a dominant player.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eric+lindros

Comments

cs6687's avatar

No. It’s the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good.

Posted by cs6687 on 06/16/10 at 04:27 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

^^ Exactly

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 06/16/10 at 04:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d usually give a break for people who didn’t play enough games based on a tragically injury-shortened career, but I have trouble giving a break to Lindros, who consistently and stubbornly skated all over the ice with his head down.

I’m not saying it would be a horrible thing if Lindros were inducted into the Hall, but I’m also not saying that it would be an injustice if he were kept out.

Personally, I would like to keep it so that the hall only inducts those who, without question, belong.  There is doubt about Lindros, so I don’t think he belongs.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/16/10 at 04:53 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

I wish the Hall of Fame had higher standards. Eric Lindros should not get in because, as cs959858354 said above, it’s the Hall of Fame…not the “Hall of Very Good”

It’s the same reason that I don’t think Mats Sundin should be in the HOF. Maple Leafs fans will poop their pants if he never gets in, but what has he done to deserve it? Stanley Cups? No. Individual awards? No. Just because he is one of the best Leafs ever, doesn’t mean he belongs in the Hall of Fame. At no point in his career was he even ever a top-3 center in the game.

Lindros - Out
Sunding (when his time comes) - Out
Pavel Bure (scored goals when no one else was. 58 and 59 goal seasons in the dead puck era. stretch of his career where he was maybe the best winger in the NHL) - In

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 06/16/10 at 05:07 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I can think of others who’ve been held out much longer who are equally “worthy” if not more so.
Point totals are only part of a players resume, much of Big E’s resume is no where near as flattering.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/16/10 at 05:14 PM ET

edillac's avatar

Pavel Bure

Posted by edillac from isolation on 06/16/10 at 05:20 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I don’t think he was stubburn as much as it was a habbitt. It’s just the way he always played. Going all the way back to pee-wees he was always the biggest and best and never had to worry about hits that would take him off the puck let alone hurt him. Well that all changed in the NHL, as we know.

I do agree with this: “I would like to keep it so that the hall only inducts those who, without question, belong”.  To me if you have to ask then they’re out.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/16/10 at 10:47 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

First of all, let me say that I’m definitely not a Mats Sundin fan.  If I see him doing one more Poker Stars commercial I may shoot myself and I always thought he was overrated compared to vastly, vastly better swedes (Lidstrom, specifically, was not as well-loved back home as Sundin until the last 5-6 years).

All the same, Sundin definitely belongs in.  Not sure-fire first ballot, but he goes in.  He never got to the finals in Toronto but, let’s me honest, management didn’t give him very many chances with some of the teams he captained.

564 goals, 1349 assists
1 Olympic Gold (as captain of the team)
3 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze in world championship
9 time all star game participant
635 gambling commercials on swedish news sites
World Championship best forward in 92.
Second all star team in 02, 04.
18 years in the league and, for his career, he’s a PPG player despite playing through the dead puck era.
Longest serving European born and trained captain of an NHL franchise.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/17/10 at 01:17 AM ET

He should.  He was the dominant player of his time.  His career was cut short by concussions and a pig headed management who didn’t think he was hurt.  His skills did not diminish on there own.  Orr’s career was cut short by injury as well.  Lindros was a huge fan draw before the concussions caught up with him.  If Dick Duff is in the HOF Lindros should have his own wing.

Posted by 13 user names on 06/17/10 at 01:28 AM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

1349 assists

I think you mean 1349points, which means he had 785 assists.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/19/10 at 02:59 PM ET