Should Crosby Retire?

from Robert MacLeod of the Globe and Mail,

Concussions.

Sidney Crosby, the National Hockey League’s most recognizable star, has suffered one – probably more than one – and it may be time for him to retire. At age 24.

Retirement, no matter how distasteful it may seem to the NHL and to hockey fans in general, is an option that must be seriously considered, according to some in the medical community.

Over lunch recently with a respected Toronto sports orthopedic surgeon that point was driven home repeatedly – that Crosby has no choice but to retire, that his efforts to resume his spectacular playing career after suffering a concussion early in the NHL season in 2011, isn’t worth the risk.

“Crosby would be far better off quitting the game and becoming the chief spokesperson for concussions and speaking out against head shots in the game,” said the doctor. “He is taking a huge gamble with his health by trying to come back.

“He has nothing left to prove in the game. And imagine the impact he would have, especially to younger kids, by getting out now. That alone would force the NHL to take serious steps to clean up its act.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Impressive… Finally someone had the guts to say it

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 01/31/12 at 12:18 PM ET

Primis's avatar

*yyyyyaaaawwwnnnnnnnnn*

Posted by Primis on 01/31/12 at 12:41 PM ET

Greg's avatar

@zqto:  i wouldnt say he had the guts to do it, the Dr didnt want his name mentioned.  so, he’s just the same as any other guy in my opinion.

Posted by Greg on 01/31/12 at 12:46 PM ET

Greg, I meant the reporter

He had the guts to publish the article, and you can bet the NHL aint happy about it beeing published

Posted by Zqto from Brazil on 01/31/12 at 12:59 PM ET

Some of the comments had it right.  Gretz was untouched because of his guardians, and because there was no instigator rule.  Orr was then attacked at his knees.

The fight instigated against Stuart raked in a goal for the Wings last week all because of a legal check Stuart made.  Look at how many games the Mule missed because of concussion?

Where does stupid stop and the game is allowed to continue?

Posted by bobbo from Romeo, Michigan on 01/31/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO a Orthopedic DR. in other words Bone Dr. is opining on a Player with concussions & has NO clue what is really going on & has not seen the X-Rays or MRI’s Good Job Doc. Sounds like he is a candidate for the Pens next Team Dr.

Posted by Evilpens on 01/31/12 at 01:31 PM ET

Posted by Evilpens on 01/31/12 at 10:31 AM ET

You’re right.  Why listen to a doctor when we can all listen to a grammatically- and punctuationally-challenged blog commenter?

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 01:35 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

UMMM wtf does that have to do with a bone Dr. pontificating on a case he knows nothing about at all ?? Good Job Oxygen Stealer

Posted by Evilpens on 01/31/12 at 01:41 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Since you have no idea what an Orthopedic doctor actually does, your comments are irrelevant.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 01/31/12 at 01:50 PM ET

Sidney Crosby should do what is best for Sidney Crosby, not the Penguins, not the NHL. I believe the NHL will survive whether Sidney Crosby retires or not. I hope he is talking to as many independent specialists as possible who have no vested interest in his playing career to advise him properly.

However, the opinion of a Doctor that may or may not have any information about the case is just speculating as well. He’s certainly entitled to his opinion and it certainly carries more weight in mdeicla matters than mine, but this isn’t a profile in courage. We’ve heard this rumor and even the suggestion he retire over the summer and before Crosby’s aborted return so this isn’t really all that new or earth shattering either.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 01/31/12 at 01:51 PM ET

Chalk this guy up with the rest of the idiot writers trying to get their articles read.

Same with the idiot who put in his headline that Tob Brady and his hot wife referred Sid to the neck doctor and the other idiot that headlined that Sid was mad about the Penguins Medical staff.

Read all of these articles and they contain about 0% substance. This one in particular has the opinion of a Doctor…so it must be fact.

My question to the world is, WHY WOULD OR SHOULD SID RETIRE NOW?????

He is 25 yeaars old!  He could take 3 years off and still be over a year from 30!!!!!

As a pens fan I just hope that Sid gets closure to this for his own sake, then I hope that we hockey fans are lucky enough to see him at 100% again.  Should he take off a full season and then reassess? I could see the argument for that but this article is just another weak attempt for clicks.

Posted by spi from Pittsburgh on 01/31/12 at 01:53 PM ET

Posted by Evilpens on 01/31/12 at 10:41 AM ET

Learn something.  Please.

My question to the world is, WHY WOULD OR SHOULD SID RETIRE NOW?????

Hmm, for one thing, maybe brain damage?

Sure, it would be great to have a long career and not remember any of it and end up making Muhammed Ali look like an orthopedic surgeon.

Should he take off a full season and then reassess?

You mean ANOTHER season off, right?

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 01:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Crosby would be SAFER, to be sure, but I’d leave it solely up to Sidney Crosby to decide whether he’d be better off walking away from the game at age 24.

And I’ll tell you this as a hockey fan: If Crosby retires, it’s not going to take me very long at all to get tired of him making puppy-dog eyes and the press wagging its collective finger at the league over what could have been.

This is ESPECIALLY true, considering that the individual case of Sidney Crosby can just as well be flipped by any reasonable fan or writer to discuss not the issue of headshots, but the issue of a team who put their superstar back on the ice way too soon after suffering a head shot which many still feel was an accidental happenstance in a very fast-paced game. I don’t want to reopen the Steckel debate; I just want to point out that the hit in the Winter Classic is not so black-and-white that you could effectively use it (because in-context, the Hedman hit is MUCH easier to paint with that brush.. except that it came in a game Crosby shouldn’t have been playing in the first place).

If the non-hockey medical community wants their next Eric Lindros to parade around and tell us that we have to change, I would recommend that they start upselling the story of Marc Savard.

And, like always, I would recommend that they start seriously asking the same question so many of us fans keep asking and for which we don’t seem to be getting answers: Why not eliminate hard elbow and shoulder pads to force hitters to slow down?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/31/12 at 02:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Obviously, Sid retiring is solely up to him and whatever he does is something I’d support.

Just in case my comment didn’t make that clear enough.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/31/12 at 02:07 PM ET

Garth,  The bottom line is, sid may never play another game, but there is absolutely no reason at all for him to say that he is done playing for good.  That day may come but who gives a crap about an orthopedic doctors opinion when he is not in any way involved.  We might as well pull a trucker off the highway and ask him what he thinks.  It would be just another uninformed opinion.

Also:

You mean ANOTHER season off, right?

You witty dog you but actually no, I said a Full season.  He has yet to miss a full season.  He played 41 games last season and 8 this season.  It is very possible that is what happens but you never see someone writting about it because that headline does not grab your attention like retirement does.

Posted by spi from Pittsburgh on 01/31/12 at 02:14 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The Point is some MORON in Toronto is writing a column on the Pens because they are playing the Laffs so got to write about the Pens Huh? what about write about the Job that Bylsma has done Or How Geno is the best player in the league or Neal becoming a star ? or how resilient this team is with all the injuries they have had for a 2nd straight season & losing 6 in a row & looking horrible while doing it now have won 7 in a row? Nope got to write about Sid you know Because he is a Canadian EH

Posted by Evilpens on 01/31/12 at 02:19 PM ET

and to summarize my point, there are far too many hockey writers bloggers tweeters etc that use outrageous headlines to draw attention to their articles which only contain opinion, 2nd hand quotes and assumptions of what people were really trying to say regarding Sid and his status.

Posted by spi from Pittsburgh on 01/31/12 at 02:20 PM ET

I have to admit, at this point I find the articles about Sidney Crosby far less interesting than the reactions in the comment section. I guess I’m partly to blame for reading all of these articles when nothing new is being daid.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 01/31/12 at 02:23 PM ET

I don’t want to be a dick, but do you honestly think that a trucker has the same level of knowledge as a surgeon?

This is a medical doctor we’re talking about, and just because a doctor specializes in orthopedic surgery doesn’t mean that is all he knows about.

Defensemen know about offense and forwards know about defense, why do we assume that this is just an uninformed opinion?

You witty dog you but actually no, I said a Full season.

I understand what you’re saying, but if he played 41 games last season and has missed 41 games this season, then unless he suits up for the next game, he’s missed a full season of hockey.

The Point is some MORON in Toronto

What makes him a moron?  The fact that he knows more than you do and is willing to put forth an unpopular opinion?

Yeah, those are all as interesting and relevant as what the most famous player in the NHL is going to do with his life and playing career.  No, no, let’s talk about who is the leading scorer at the moment (nevermind the fact that even though Malkin is the leading scorer doesn’t meean he’s the best player in the league).

NOODY GIVES A *#$%@& ABOUT BYSLMA OR MALKIN.  Nobody but Pens fans give a *#$%@& about their winning streak.

Lots of people are interested in what the future holds for Sid.

But yes, by all means, the Globe & Mail should be writing articles based on whatever Toronto’s small Penguins fanbase would be interested in, not things that are relevant to the sport as a whole.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 02:49 PM ET

Bingo.  Nothing new and in most cases, including this article, nothing at all.

Posted by spi from Pittsburgh on 01/31/12 at 02:50 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t think its way out of a line for a doctor to say that based upon the information he has, x is his recommendation.  I understand that nobody wants to see Crosby’s career end with such a whimper, but take a deep breath and be objective for a moment.

I also fail to see what is so far off-topic about this article.  Have not been having a season long discussion about head injuries and a certain premier player with a broken skull?

A player’s long term health is at stake here.  Don’t throw all your reason out the window just because this article hits close to the mark.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/31/12 at 03:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

I Know !! Lets have a random *#$%@& Dr. from Toronto interviewed about a guy he has not seen or has he seen his X-Rays, MRI’s etc. Instead of focusing on the team/players they are playing !

& I know you AMwing fans have this BUG up your ass about Sid & the NHL pushing, Shoving him down your throat.

This is the Perfect chance to say Who the *#$%@& cares about Sid he is not playing in the game

I know you would probably want a story on the Semi Retarded BUT Great Player Datsyuk instead but the AMwings aren’t playing the Laffs

Posted by Evilpens on 01/31/12 at 05:06 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I hear you Evil, I often complain about the fact that dozens of interesting storylines get swept aside for an article which is just re-hash.  The problem here is that I have read stories and comments on the topics you’ve listed a dozen times.  If I hear once more about how amazing it is that they can play without Sid, I’m gonna lose it.  I knew Neal was a sniper, but apparently I was the only one, cause I’ve had to hear twenty times about what an amazing surprise he has been (meanwhile, an actual amazing rookie like Matt Read is below the radar).

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/31/12 at 05:25 PM ET

You don’t know shit about the doctor, so how about you stop pretending that you do.

You seem pretty comfortable trying to tell everyone what the Pens organization has done wrong in handling the Crosby situation, but nobody else, not even medical doctors are allowed to?

Why?

What if he was advocating for whatever your fractured brain wants to happen?  Would you be shouting him down then, even though he’s just a doctor?

Hey, making cracks about people being retarded!  Wow, you’resmart,  cool AND mature.  Aren’t you like, 50 or something?  Grow up.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 06:34 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 03:34 PM ET

Says the guy who doesn’t know how to properly use the space bar.

Posted by NathanBC on 01/31/12 at 06:52 PM ET

Posted by NathanBC on 01/31/12 at 03:52 PM ET

You’re right.  Iintellect, coolness and maturity are all things that are involved in the commission of typos.  I should not ever take exception to someone making retard jokes until I can ensure that my finger won’t slip on the keyboard.

You’re right.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 07:38 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Guys, give the Pens fans a little space here. They’re dealing with the potential loss of their pin-up doll. That has to weigh HUGE on them…think about it.. They just built a brand new arena, an entire franchise, and a massive co-dependency network on a little boy.

The options:
a) He retires and Gary. Ass loses his last shred of hope for a legacy. No one to pass the torch too. Jackatorium boarded up. No HHOF for his bastard baby boy. Rosby loses all sponsorship deals and MAYBE finds a color commentary job somewhere, but ultimately fades into oblivion as the NHL version of Brian Bosworth.

b) He doesn’t retire and gets smashed in the head by ________ and goes all jello skull…forced to wear a protective helmet the rest of his life and goes on Oxycontin to dull the ghosts of Zetterbergs past that keep him from manning up , so they lock him in a rubber room while he rocks back and forth clutching his Gary Bettman bobblehead doll murmuring something about never having grown a real mustache.

Either way, Pittsburgh is screwed.

p.s. Can you imagine the premiums on his health/life insurance policies?

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/31/12 at 07:53 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 04:38 PM ET

Well yeah, “Iintellect” and maturity do have a place in the proper usage of grammar and punctuation. Do you know any immature retards that know how to use semi colons properly?

You and I have already come to the conclusion that you’re cool, last week or something.

Posted by NathanBC on 01/31/12 at 08:03 PM ET

You’re correct, not being a great typist has everything to do with intellect and maturity.

I’m sorry, who are you?  Obviously my comments mean a great deal to you, but I can’t remember having any kind of conversation with you.

Sorry about that, champ.

BTW, here are a couple more typographical errors that you can harp on:
teh