Should The Penguins Consider Trading Evgeni Malkin?

via Sportsnet (listen to the audio),

Sportsnet NHL Insider Elliotte Freidman joined Boomer & Rhett on the SN960 morning show Monday, and said the Penguins should at least consider trading superstar forward Evgeni Malkin this off-season.

“If you can get two or three pieces including a guy that can play with Crosby, don’t you have to think about it? At what point do you say yeah, we won the Stanley Cup, but that was six years ago? These two guys together make $18.2 million, and we keep losing in the playoffs because we don’t have enough support pieces.

“There are teams that could pull it off. I’m looking at a Florida, a Nashville, a team with young assets that could do this. I’m not saying if you’re the Penguins you should do it 100 per cent, but I’m saying you really have to sit down and think about it.”

Friedman adds that even the Calgary Flames could be in a position to trade for Malkin if in fact both sides were so inclined.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+malkin

Comments

redxblack's avatar

The Penguins model of being stacked as hell at center and pretty weak at the wings never made much sense to me, but it did win them a cup.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/27/15 at 10:28 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

The Wings were stacked at center and weak at wing for a long time, but they made it work by moving traditional centers to wing.

The difference is, the Wings have always had better coaching, and their glut of centermen in those years were not $9 million players.

Nobody will say this publicly from the club but, don’t they have to see what Crosby is worth, if they’re going to see what Malkin is worth?

What do we say any time there’s a discussion like this… if #99 could be traded, anyone can be traded.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/27/15 at 12:38 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The wildcard factor with a guy like Malkin is the whole KHL thing.  Maybe Malkin would decide he wanted to go back to Russia to play.

I’d look at moving Crosby in exchange for a player who is a leader before I did anything with Malkin though.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/27/15 at 12:53 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I don’t think I’d make either of those trades if I’m Chicago or Dallas.

I’d think Edmonton would give up a few of their previous #1 picks for Crosby.  Could benefit Pitt in the longrun, and could provide soooooome leadership for Edmonton’s young guys.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/27/15 at 01:22 PM ET

It’s a bit difficult to trade either Crosby or Malkin when they both have no trade clauses in their contracts.  Certainly cuts down the potential trade partners.  And they both just reiterated their desire to stay in Pittsburgh during clean out day.

Posted by Sneplive on 04/27/15 at 02:16 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Well now you’re just taking the fun out of this!!! wink

Posted by TreKronor on 04/27/15 at 02:18 PM ET

If I were Crosby I’d only accept a trade to Philly.

Now that would be funny.  cheese

Posted by Sneplive on 04/27/15 at 02:23 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

If I were Crosby I’d only accept a trade to Philly.

Hahahaha

I have been a proponent of exploring what you could get for either of them for years. I used to say that I’d rather trade Malkin because he’s generally a better playoff performer, but I think Crosby could do better with better support and a great leader to lessen the load (I do not think Crosby is a very good Captain). The return for either could be astronomical, and they could instantly solve the depth issues that have plagued the Penguins for years. I think you have to explore it.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 04/27/15 at 02:47 PM ET